Doesn't it depress you that most people dont like ''Good Music''?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
so why dont people like dark/death metal ? it always confuses me, i mean with pop songs you have rubbish music, annoying vocals and complete bollocks lyrics, so what does make people like music that is rubbish:confused: .

another thing is that why dont people give it a chance? i told my friends i was seeing Vader, Dying Fetus and Cryptopsy at the underworld and they all laughed just because of their names:mad: , and when i play music at school or at a party not even 10 seconds of the song play before i get a disgusted look by everyone:mad: , im gonna crack soon and kill someone i think, well when i get my car im gonna play opeth really load and drive everywhere with my windows down growling away:D , that may relieve some stress.

I found out two things the hard way Transparent:
1) Music is not as important to lots of people, as it is to others
2) We are a minority

Well, we can't have everyone liking good music, or they'd steal all the albums from the shops :D
But seriously, you can't make people like good music, it's just their loss if they don't like it. Rest assured that you will appreciate music on a level they will never know. So screw em! :)
I don't think I'd want everyone to like all the music I do anyway.

Well unfortunately EVERYONE is like that in some way. Maybe you don't watch the best TV shows while someone else out there says 'why do ppl watch that shit??', or maybe its movies, sport, food, art or any other thing. People usually have a only a few areas where they are extremely interested and where the do all their research and shit. But for those that arent major music freaks then then its no really a bad thing that they arent into opeth, because the same people probably have serious interests in other areas, but music to them is simply about dancing or is just something fun. I'm fine with this, everyone is different. I know many people who like many similar music to myself, but their favorite music is still hiphop/rap.... why? because it suits their lifestyle, because what they want thru music they find thru rap. A few of them couldnt like death metal, because it requires a different understanding of music, it requires listening to music in a different way. I mean believe it or not but hiphop and rap do provide a fairly unique thing to its listeneners, and a lot of people connect with that. Also u have to understand that Opeth is an extremely emotion driven band, and not everyone will connect with the range of emotions and they therefore won't like it so much. Musicians who don't like it will probably still apreciate how good it is, but to other people they will just hear "constant repetative changing between heavy and clean" or something like that.

The death metal suffers a lot of the same things that electronic music does, theres a lot of crap that is just following the latest trend. I personally here a lot of 'extreme metal' and laugh, because its just a bunch of people trying to sound like other bands, or trying to be really evil, or trying to be different, and that is laughable, and sure there are some jems amongst them, but there are good stuff in every category of music. You just have to really look into the underground for each scene and eventually u will find some really good stuff. You won't tho, because u wont connect with it, it won't be what u want from music, and that is fine, but accept that for others death metal just isnt the way.

I dunno, but in 20 years i think i'm gonna look back at death metal and find it VERY hard to get into. I imagine i will laugh at some of the silly voices, just like i laugh at some of the high 80s metal voices today. The music value is still there, it's just extremely hard to connect with it.

So to sum up, yes sure they don't give death metal a chance, but you cant expect people to give everything a chance, and you cant expect that everyone will like death metal if they give it a chance. Because everybody is different..... and that isnt a bad thing at all.

i dont have any bad feelings if somebody doesnt like death metal.... death metal is a bunch of noise !!!!! I just like it because its fucking intense!!!! But if someone doesnt like power metal... thats a different story

It doesnt depress me because i dont give much of a fuck about what people think or do if u ask me. If you like Opeth or music like that, then thats good well have a great conversation and stuff.

YaYoGakk: you pretty sum up what i would say. :zzz:

Mikeal Is God: well i dont like power metal. :yow:

_Transparent_: Well after looking at names like Vader and Dying Fetus, i am wondering right now they are is childish or not. heheh
:loco:

Depressed? No way!!!!!

It's my music, and only feel sorry for people who miss it. But hell, I'm having the Opeth ride of my life, and I'm no way ready to jump off.

Once in a while, I take a shorter ride with Nevermore, The Tea Party, Grip Inc, and a few others, but the majority of the ride (you know, like those rides you take on those real long stretches of a highway like Rte 95 in the Carolinas) is with Opeth, and I'm loving it presently.

Let's face it: all music has its good points: Opeth can offer the listener what pop can't, and vice versa.

But Transparent, i can say that you're missing out if you don't give other types of music a chance. Music is meant to be enjoyed, i don't see how someone can say they don't enjoy a certain type of music, as long as it is played well.

Anyway, i'm guessing soul forlorn has something to say about this..
:loco:

No, what depresses me is when you think you're talking to someone who's just as interested as you are about music and with a few words they can pretty much sum up that you're alone. Another thing is when people call it satanic and that look on faces when they hear it. "YOU'VE HEARD NOT EVEN TWO MINUTES OF IT." but they’ve already made up their mind.

I think another reason a lot of people like mainstream is because everyone else knows it. I don't understand why. Why they don't see past the "everyone else likes it" thing. That gets put in my "follow the herd" file.

And I like what Jo has to say about all of it. So true. It almost hurts when you want to talk to someone about metal and it's...it's just not important to them. For a minute I want to say, "Looser." But, that's just me. I love it. They love fishing, football or game shows! Whatever! Their passions lie elsewhere. What YoYaGakk said in that manor. :)

Lynn

And you gird me when I dare to listen.

hibernal_dream - But Transparent, i can say that you're missing out if you don't give other types of music a chance.

hmn, i dont give other music a chance:err: , well seeing as i listen to 60's to 80's pop and well anything except rap and r'n'b i usually apreciate alot of music, i mean call me wierd but i dont like Travis but they have one song called The Fear that i love because its so dark and depressing and theres a bonus track on the album with one of my favourite song lines ever!!!! i mean i really appreciate songs for lyrics even if it sounds crap, i just love music so much it makes me cry and sing in public really loud, it just gives that effect to me. i just cant stand rap because it seems like if they cant think of a lyric they resort to saying Bitch, nigga, fuck, shit and ho etc just to fill in a gap to rhyme or something, they then result to rapping about the same song it seems for example how many groups/rap artists released a song called my name is? eminem, Xzibit etc where the lyrics were ''My name is...'':confused: . and then they cant sing by themselves so they have to feature like 5 other people on their songs who end up singing one line or something!!!!

i really dont like to criticise something i dont know about but ive lived with my brother who has over 1000 rap cds and as i shared a room with him too i know more about hip hop than most people that like it!!!!:mad:

there are obviously exceptions for example i was stuck in a car and had to listen to Lewis Parker a british hip hop artist, it wasn't that bad, i mean i didnt like it but it was better than most of the other shit, mainly i think because he sung about something different and didnt swear for once!

and whats with garage? why do they remix one song hundreds of times? once, twice maybe but why so many songs? i swear there are only a few garage songs but then people remix them and release them again.

i always get looked at because they way i dress (which isnt even that bad!!!!) and so whilst watching tv i was flicking through the music channels and saw someone on MTV bass wearing a lamp shade on his head. so i decided to wear a flowery tea towel on my head like a bandana and a side ways hat, i mean at least i looked better than the lamp shade guy, right? i walked into school and people just laughed, but ive seen a lot of people wear bandanas before, what was so different? oh and my friend had to take it off my head later on our way to Greenford as he thought i'd get beaten up walking into the town like that:D .

oh well, i had loads more to say but i forget now, just give me some back chat answers or something and i'll debate more. thanks.:loco:

Dying Fetus *isn't* exactly a fantastic group name

well they were a support band and i didnt really come to see them, they wern't bad but not good either.

the point i was trying to make was that people hear a name and automatically dont give it a chance, its not just metal, when i put on Radiohead or Smashing Pumpkins people moan and say they want to put on some garage etc. it only annoys me when people like a song and that song is a rip off, of say a smashing pumpkins song but they wont listen to the pumpkins one!!:mad: .

its not like i want to force people to listen to music but there are a lot of songs that i know people will like because they say they like a simillar song.

Good is a relative term. Whatever people like they will call good.

well that is generally why i put the words good music in inedverted commas to indicate that point:)

cant find the quote but as for the person that said they dont care for what other people think, well when you stop caring about what people think you may get suicidle and yeah its good when u stop caring for a while because you feel weight off your shoulders and it feels like you are permanently drunk (i would say high but i dont smoke

:) ) but you dont wanna kill yourself mate, so if you ever feel you want to, well dont as you cant listen to opeth if you are dead:D .

Well, ill tell ya one thing, if it wasnt for the internet id have no clue what black/death metal was...before i got my hands on the internet i listened to korn and slipknot, thank god my friend i met on irc sent me some opeth mp3s :D changed my life, now i have around 50 metal cds :D

But Transparent, i can say that you're missing out if you don't give other types of music a chance. Music is meant to be enjoyed, i don't see how someone can say they don't enjoy a certain type of music, as long as it is played well.

Anyway, i'm guessing soul forlorn has something to say about this..

Ok, Hibernal Dream, I'll accept your invitation. Actually, I can't say I disagree too much. I listen to several different types of music and I'm completely open to anything that as you say "is played well". Music for me is kind of like trying out a new food. You taste it, sometimes it tastes good, sometimes just ok, other times it tastes like complete shit. I can't explain why I gravitate towards certain types of music any more than I can explain why I think lobster tastes better than spinach. There's no way I could ever say that I enjoy every type of music just because it is played well. Sometimes it just doesn't taste good.

The bottom line is that extreme music has never been and probably will never be given a chance by mainstream listeners. Just like the image of a certain band or artist is what leads them to listen to them in the first place, the image of say, a death metal band, is what keeps them away. The actual content of the music itself is never even given a chance.

people don't like metal because

a. they can't dance to it
b. it emotes in ways they're not comfortable with (it's easy to drive around town rapping along to "pimpin' hoes" or singing the lines to the new limp bizshit song, but what casual prick would feel all right with issues on true love, etc etc?
c. people want short songs
d. they want something they can sing along with (most people can't growl/scream well) or play on their guitars (most people can't do more than just strum).

of course, i don't define metal as "hard music". i think metal is more of a spirit in the music, which all-acoustic albums such as Kveldssanger (Ulver) or (someone mentioned this) Travis' albums.
that is the same reason i like fiona apple, tori amos, etc etc.

but really, the reason most people don't listen to metal is....

(drumroll)

the average non-metal masses listen to music to be "entertained". we listen to music to be enlightened, by ideas, by music, by emotions.