Doesn't it depress you that most people dont like ''Good Music''?

mmm... that would make a good poll "can you dance to opeth?".

You can pretty much dance to anything if you tried, you'd just look very foolish (ever seen goths dancing?)

Originally posted by hibernal_dream
Music is meant to be enjoyed, i don't see how someone can say they don't enjoy a certain type of music, as long as it is played well

Thank u. This reminds me of that debate ages ago when I said I thought it was reidiculous to choose your friends solely on their musical taste, and I said something along those lines :)

Thank u. This reminds me of that debate ages ago when I said I thought it was reidiculous to choose your friends solely on their musical taste, and I said something along those lines

yep i have one friend that is into the same music as me, everyone else likes rap and r 'n' b, and about 5 more are into rock including linkin park and slipknot etc.:cry: so come to think of it even if i wanted (which i dont) to choose friends because of their musical taste i dont think i could. it is however those friends that are into the music you like that you have more fun with because you go to unforgetable concerts, you can apreciate music you like and generally have more fun although i obviously have loads of fun with other friends.

mmm... that would make a good poll "can you dance to opeth?".

well yes :) , just let the mind move your body and dont think about what you are doing, i love to dance to tool it's great i find myself doing all kinds of wierd things, (almost braking my neck) and its much more fun than listening to say rap and sticking your hand up saying bo bo this is heavy beats , yo yo im feeling this shit yeah yeah ho. im not even joking, they do , do that, i've seen my brother and his friends do it.

why don't you ever see baby pigeons? always baffled me that one. Because 75% of young birds die before they leave the nest. Haha! I heard that from Charles on WHJY with his "Things I know that you don't." I can't believe I remembered it though.

:lol: No, I can't imagine what goths look like dancing.

i love to dance to tool it's great i find myself doing all kinds of weird things, (almost braking my neck) Tool makes me think of twitching your head. That video they had. With those little quirky dolls. Yeah, Tool makes me think of those things all cocking their heads around...sort of like a dog looking at you when you say "Outside!" :err: but much more erratic.

:loco:

Haven't you ever seen goths dance? They do like this "I'm a tree dance" where they look like those people who impersonate trees in drama classes. This involves waving your hands around in a sweeping, angst ridden, majestic way, while stepping forwards or backwards occasionally. I looks..... fucking stupid :)

(sp?) = smashing pumpkins by chance?
That's just saying, "I'm not sure of the spelling."

I need to see the dancing trees. I'd love to add that to my vault of "memory laughs." I'm sure they feel good when they do it and because of that, good for them. I think the last thing I was laughed at about was my taste in music.

:err:

The simple fact of the matter is, people should have the right to listen to whatever music they desire. Peace Brethren.

Originally posted by Opet
No, what depresses me is when you think you're talking to someone who's just as interested as you are about music and with a few words they can pretty much sum up that you're alone. Another thing is when people call it satanic and that look on faces when they hear it. "YOU'VE HEARD NOT EVEN TWO MINUTES OF IT." but they’ve already made up their mind.

Yeah, it's darn near impossible to have an intelligent conversation about music with most of the people I know in real life. It's like, they say they're really into music, but then you talk for a couple minutes and realize you're wasting your time. I guess that's why a board like this is so popular... because you can talk to other people who are as interested in music as you are.

About not hearing two minutes of it... you gotta remember that after two minutes of a pop song, you're over halfway done and heard the happy sing-along chorus a few times already. With Opeth... heck, you might not even have gotten to the words yet... and there is no chorus. People's attention spans can't get through 10 minutes of music with no repetitive chanting chorus.

I think another reason a lot of people like mainstream is because everyone else knows it. I don't understand why. Why they don't see past the "everyone else likes it" thing. That gets put in my "follow the herd" file.

People are afraid to be alone. If you are listening to opeth, you are an outcast. Nobody wants your music playing around them. If you are listening to Limp Bizkit, you and all your friends can sing along with the ridiculous lyrics.

I try and expose my friends to the music I like. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't hold their taste in music against them though. I mean, if a friend of mine doesn't like my music, we must have something else in common that we can share or we wouldn't be friends.

To the original question :

'Why don't people like Good Music' and 'why don't people like death metal' are two different questions. Everything that's been said about poop-music listeners on this thread, about the herd mentality and short attention spans, is true. To the poop/mainstream listeners it is not as much about the music, as about the pumping/dancing. That doesn't mean that all mainstream music is bad, it simply says something about the MTV audience.

But you forgot about people, who, say, have come into music through classical or jazz or prog-rock or something else, and are accustomed to a certain level of complexity and finesse in their music, which cannot be satisfied with most metal, which they find static, repetitive and dumb (I know such people personally). They simply cannot appreciate metal for what it is, because other musics give them everything and more.

I believe, one has to grow up with metal to really understand it, one has to ask the same questions at some point in one's life, that are the key questions of the spirit of good metal. Metal has a special kind of energy, which is driving (that involves the body into the music), and has a deepness (which involves the brain). So yes, entertainment is part of metal, and music is part of metal, so anybody who is only into one of these things, will not appreciate Good Metal.

D Mullholand, a dead composer
---------------------------------------
NP: Jan Garbarek - Madar

LOL
before, someone said that Opeth wasn't a good band to dance to =P
BUT, when my friend Greg had his prom on, he used their song Epilogue to dance to (That slow kind of dancing with the holding eachother and walking in cirlces etc).

There are some good songs to mosh too, but that isnt really "dancing" is it?

Oh and the main purpose of me posting is, most people regard all the metal/rock genre's as not being "good" as the pop/r&b/rap bands get more PR coverage etc. etc.
The band Marilyn Manson is as big as it is because Brian Warner (Lead singer) is a PR genius. KoRn are simply cool. There are others (Like Tool, Rage Against The Machine) that are big, but don't get much advertisting UNTILL they get famous and their lable realises they are a potential profit.
Limp Shiznit are just shit. Just commercil shit.
Thats whats most of it is these days.

Originally posted by Soul Forlorn

The bottom line is that extreme music has never been and probably will never be given a chance by mainstream listeners. Just like the image of a certain band or artist is what leads them to listen to them in the first place, the image of say, a death metal band, is what keeps them away. The actual content of the music itself is never even given a chance.

That is not true at all! In the 70'es in England the punkmovement exploded because of Sex Pistols. Don't tell me that the Sex Pistols wasn't extreme! In most ways they were alot more extreme that opeth.