Bands you dont like

Hammerfall- When are these adequate musicians going to grow out of the 80`s and get their own sound? They have been playing the same boring Manowar ripoffs(hardly a good thing) since the beginning of their career, and show no sign of intending to break with that. Worst of all, many of their fans applaud them for doing so. The vocals are terrible, the lyrics even worse; "true metal" or not, how cool is it to chant "power, thunder, glory and steel" over and over again, like this was fucking Conan the Barbarian? Their audience, a bizarre collection of drug fried hippies and 15 year old long-haired and leather-clad boys seem to swallow whatever trash they get thrown in their face, as long as they can pride themselves on listening to "tr00 metal" and litter metal boards with fanboy comments about the band, usually followed by lines like "keap teh metal tr00 n haaarrrrrrdddddd!!!!!!!!111111".

Manowar- Seriously, what kind of sick marketing guy came up with the "true metal" idea? Whoever it was, he must have been a genius, Manowars success is a testimony to that. The endless stream of lyrics about proud warriors fighting against imagined enemies and predictable hard rock(that`s what it is)they churn out are accepted no matter what by their true and loyal fans- ahem, warriors, simply because the music has not changed for 20 fucking years!!! The BNR metal pages said in their(very accurate, if I may add)description of Manowar that "Manowar continues to rally around their 'death to false metal' battlecry". Try asking any Manowar fan, or perhaps even the band itself what true and false metal are. You won`t get a good answer, I promise you. True Metal does not fucking exist, and you are NOT a true fan if you blindly swallow the crap Manowar puts out year after year after year...

Avril Lavigne- Not a band per se, but still an object of my furious dislike, so she gets mentioned here. Avril is then truest fakest artist I`ve ever encountered. Her badass-image, forged in the darkest dungeons of American Music Business, is accepted without question by the 15-year old girls by today. Avril claims to have been in fights since an early age, that she writes her own songs, plays guitar, rides the skateboard, hates preps and possibly that she was the first woman on the moon. In reality, she was a middle-class clean teen talent, her main influences being Shania Twain and Jewel. She sang gospel in her church, and was strictly raised by her religious mother. When Avril was discovered by the music business, they decided that they needed something different for this manufactured artist. The world was tired of Britney Spears clones and light-hearted pop. This girl was going to be punk-rawk, hard-ass and with an attitude to kill for. All in moderation of course, so the public won`t get offended. The girl has her own songs, but they aren`t ready(not good enough- crap)for the mainstream, so they hire a bunch of professional songwriters to re-write her songs into the collection of songs now known as "let go". I despise Avril Lavigne. I really do.

Cannibal Corpse- "1...2...ROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAARRRAR"

Thus begins CC`s epic "Devoured by Vermin", lying there right next to "Hammer Smashed Face" and "Making Young Girls Eat Disease Infested Puss Which Came From a Zombie That We Raped Yesterday With The Vaginal Skin of a Young Virgin Cut Up With A Chainsaw" on the list of songs whose only purpose seems to be getting the highest rating on the Richters scale. Cannibal Corpse may be good musicians, but their music is terrible. It seems to me that they rely on shock value and graphic violence on their covers to sell their tedious death metal with perpetual blast beats and death vocals, which sincerely sound like a camel gurgling it`s own vomit. Now, I have to admit I`m not the biggest death metal fan around. Nile and Behemoth, in addition to a number of other bands bore me to death(no pun intended), but I at least don`t passionately hate them like CC.

Mortician- This music is shit. Bullshit. Crap. It stinks so much I have no idea how they get the record label to put it out. In addition to the band consisting of mostly uncompetent musicians, excluding their awesome 1986-era drum machine, they seem to think that an album consisting of 22 songs of 1-2 minute each, written in roughly about the same time makes for a good musical experience. The same down-tuned riffs and impossible blast beats are repeated over and over and over again, the crappy samples from 70-80`s splatter film being a relief after sitting through the shitty music. If Cannibal Corpses vocals sound like a camel gurgling its own vomit, Morticians vocals sound like a 6 year old kid blowing all he can though a plastic pipe. I have no idea of how to explain how much I hate this band, but at least I gave it a try. Thanks for listening.

*phew* That`s the end of my rants, folks.

Originally posted by Demonspell
I thought that would be Stratovarius. :) I find POS "ballads" to be far more captivating and complex than the requisite fillers on most power metal albums... :)

I've don't own any Stratovarius albums, nor do I want to. I guess PoS just isn't my style.

Originally posted by The holy one
Berzerker (FUCKING SLIPKNOT WANNABES)
[/B]

o_O

o_O

How?

So if a band wear masks, and plays an ENTIRELY different musical style to Slipknot, they will be Slipknot wannabes? Wow.

Berzerker are Death Metal with electronic parts.

Slipknot are numetal.

I see no connection, besides the masks.

As for what I hate. Well. Nothing really. Metal is metal to me. While I can see some being more technical and some being really cheesy, it's still all good and fun to listen to. The only bands that I dislike are a few numetal bands, mainly Slipknot. But that's it.

Metal is metal, I like to embrace it all.

Metallica - post 1990 (sellouts)

Pantera - post 1990 (congrats on helping start nu-metal)

Deicide - Glen Benton is a fucking idiot...turn him over to the Christain coalition

YJM's Rising Force or YJM solo - killer guitar, boring and cheesy songs

Pearl Jam - Freeeeeeeeeezan, remanemanemanemanema...yeah

Nirvana - no comment, just hate

Slipknot - Pure shit

Dreidel of Filth - I thought they were really cool and unique for awhile, but that phase passed and they bore me to death now, Dummy Burger isn't a good band, but they are the better of the two

Manowar - Harp Heaven already hit the nail on the head here

Poison the Well - Just the same crap that we've heard from all the nu-metal bands, my friends had really hyped these guys up before I heard them...what a joke.

Celein Dion - one word..."Titanic"

Pimp Triscuit - Fred Durst needs to be put down
(don't you dare steal that from me people, I am gonna use that name if I ever make a mock nu-metal band) :D

Linkin Logs Park - Go back to playing with your toys kids...get out of the music business

J-Lo - welcome to Club Crap

Amorphis - They could be so much better

SoulFly (and post Arise Sepultura) - Traitor Max C goes nu-metal

Mortician - Yes they are horrible

American Head Charge - a disgrace to Minnesota

Garth Brooks - and all the wannabees

MD-45 - hahahahahaha!

Anthrax - post 1992

Beastie Boys - how can anyone stand the sound of a baby crying?

Smashing Pumpkins - Billy Corgan got so much undeserved praise

Dave Matthew's Band - Boring

Skinhead O' Conner - disgrace to Ireland

THE BEATLES! - wow I hate these guys! Bring on the flames! They are sooooo boring!

Galactic Cowboys - enough said

Kid Rock - a disgrace to white trash

Eminem - hate, hate, hate

Korn - hate them for being nu-metal pioneers

Napalm Death - Barney..."raaaaaar" his voice reminds me of bad sound effects from old console EA games. (the hockey ones in particular)

Most Power metal bands - 9 times out of 10 the singer kills the band

ok, I better stop now...
but just two lashes at crappy acts from my high school days

STU and Small Wooden Badgers...
eternal hate to the two of you

ps. Nobody better talk shit about King Diamond or Morris Day and the Time.

Originally posted by Harp Heaven
Mortician- This music is shit. Bullshit. Crap. It stinks so much I have no idea how they get the record label to put it out. In addition to the band consisting of mostly uncompetent musicians, excluding their awesome 1986-era drum machine, they seem to think that an album consisting of 22 songs of 1-2 minute each, written in roughly about the same time makes for a good musical experience. The same down-tuned riffs and impossible blast beats are repeated over and over and over again, the crappy samples from 70-80`s splatter film being a relief after sitting through the shitty music. If Cannibal Corpses vocals sound like a camel gurgling its own vomit, Morticians vocals sound like a 6 year old kid blowing all he can though a plastic pipe. I have no idea of how to explain how much I hate this band, but at least I gave it a try. Thanks for listening.

:lol: Don't take it too seriously. At least I find it pretty funny. Mortician doesn't have anything to do with music.

Here we go:

Guns 'n' Roses - they fucking suck, I don't know what to say. Most overrated band to come from the 80's. Untalented musicians and Axl can't sing for shit

Dream Theater - haha, I see a potential flame war here. First of all, I bet 90% of DT fans listen to them because of their amazing technical skillZ. Absolutely boring wankery and James Labrie is the most horrible vocalist ever to come in the prog scene. He sounds like someone is anally raping a parrot, for Christ's sake! Mind you, I love their debut album 'When dream and day unite', I think it's absolutely brilliant. Music sounded great, had that awesome 80's Queensryche feel to it. Songs like Status Seeker, Afterlife are among my favorites. Their previous singer, Charlie Dominici, shits all over Labrie.

Metallica - another heavily overrated band. And I'm not only hating 90's Metallica. I think their 80's stuff is mediocre at it's best. Horrible musicians, Hetfield can't sing to save his ass.

Pantera - their 80's glam stuff is some most underrated and brilliant stuff I've ever heard,. However post-Cowboys stuff -complete suckage.

Iron Maiden - not that they are bad, they are just criminally overrated! What about Priest, Saxon, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Tygers Of Pan Tang etc.? Why is it they had to take all the fame?

Originally posted by blackstaRR
:lol: Don't take it too seriously. At least I find it pretty funny. Mortician doesn't have anything to do with music.
Humourous or not, it still blows. I know a number of other Mortician fans who think like you do, they agree that it`s mostly crappy noise, but they still listen to it for the shock value/fun of it. Now I have nothing against listening to noise, after listening extensively to Squarepusher and contemporary classical composers like Stockhausen, Boulez and Kagel I have gotten used to music that would kill any normal music listener after 5 minutes of exposure. Mortician, however, is where I draw the line. At least the aforementioned artists have a vision and plan behind what they write. Mortician does not, and it is appalling that they get to pay their bills with their music. HURRAY FOR KAZAA!!!

Hammerfall- When are these adequate musicians going to grow out of the 80`s and get their own sound? They have been playing the same boring Manowar ripoffs(hardly a good thing) since the beginning of their career, and show no sign of intending to break with that. Worst of all, many of their fans applaud them for doing so. The vocals are terrible, the lyrics even worse; "true metal" or not, how cool is it to chant "power, thunder, glory and steel" over and over again, like this was fucking Conan the Barbarian? Their audience, a bizarre collection of drug fried hippies and 15 year old long-haired and leather-clad boys seem to swallow whatever trash they get thrown in their face, as long as they can pride themselves on listening to "tr00 metal" and litter metal boards with fanboy comments about the band, usually followed by lines like "keap teh metal tr00 n haaarrrrrrdddddd!!!!!!!!111111".

Manowar- Seriously, what kind of sick marketing guy came up with the "true metal" idea? Whoever it was, he must have been a genius, Manowars success is a testimony to that. The endless stream of lyrics about proud warriors fighting against imagined enemies and predictable hard rock(that`s what it is)they churn out are accepted no matter what by their true and loyal fans- ahem, warriors, simply because the music has not changed for 20 fucking years!!! The BNR metal pages said in their(very accurate, if I may add)description of Manowar that "Manowar continues to rally around their 'death to false metal' battlecry". Try asking any Manowar fan, or perhaps even the band itself what true and false metal are. You won`t get a good answer, I promise you. True Metal does not fucking exist, and you are NOT a true fan if you blindly swallow the crap Manowar puts out year after year after year...

Avril Lavigne- Not a band per se, but still an object of my furious dislike, so she gets mentioned here. Avril is then truest fakest artist I`ve ever encountered. Her badass-image, forged in the darkest dungeons of American Music Business, is accepted without question by the 15-year old girls by today. Avril claims to have been in fights since an early age, that she writes her own songs, plays guitar, rides the skateboard, hates preps and possibly that she was the first woman on the moon. In reality, she was a middle-class clean teen talent, her main influences being Shania Twain and Jewel. She sang gospel in her church, and was strictly raised by her religious mother. When Avril was discovered by the music business, they decided that they needed something different for this manufactured artist. The world was tired of Britney Spears clones and light-hearted pop. This girl was going to be punk-rawk, hard-ass and with an attitude to kill for. All in moderation of course, so the public won`t get offended. The girl has her own songs, but they aren`t ready(not good enough- crap)for the mainstream, so they hire a bunch of professional songwriters to re-write her songs into the collection of songs now known as "let go". I despise Avril Lavigne. I really do.

Thus begins CC`s epic "Devoured by Vermin", lying there right next to "Hammer Smashed Face" and "Making Young Girls Eat Disease Infested Puss Which Came From a Zombie That We Raped Yesterday With The Vaginal Skin of a Young Virgin Cut Up With A Chainsaw" on the list of songs whose only purpose seems to be getting the highest rating on the Richters scale. Cannibal Corpse may be good musicians, but their music is terrible. It seems to me that they rely on shock value and graphic violence on their covers to sell their tedious death metal with perpetual blast beats and death vocals, which sincerely sound like a camel gurgling it`s own vomit. Now, I have to admit I`m not the biggest death metal fan around. Nile and Behemoth, in addition to a number of other bands bore me to death(no pun intended), but I at least don`t passionately hate them like CC.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahahahahahahaha I think that was the funniest post I ever read, jesus man, you're killing me!

First of all, I'm a fan of Manowar's since 1984, so that makes it about 19 years, and I take no offense about what you have said. It's just your opinion. But here is mine.

The "endless stream of lyrics about proud warriors fighting against imagined enemies..." as you call it, I ask you: what do Rhapsody (just an example, I hasten to add!), do?

"...simply because the music has not changed for 20 fucking years!!!"
No, it hasn't, because Manowar themselves AND their fans are happy with it, and it sells, ok?

The "death-to-false-metal-cry" is their thing, I find it ridiculous too, because there ain't true or false Metal... it's just Metal, or MUSIC, as I would call it.

"True Metal does not fucking exist, and you are NOT a true fan if you blindly swallow the crap Manowar puts out year after year after year..."
You're right, true Metal does not exist. I guess nobody that is a serious music lover or appreciates good music in a serious way would swallow any crap at all.

Personally, I still love what Manowar are "putting out year after year...", have seen them live many times, including last year. But WHY would one CHANGE the music that is A: selling, B: the fans love and C: what for?
As long as a band is happy with the stuff their doing and stands behind it, it's fine. At least, they are not changing anything, not even if this or that style is HIP now and to sell records...

Manowar have always had a crappy image to boot, but I've never even seen them mess up with their fans or sport a stuck-up attitude (there's not too many bands of this caliber around these days!).

Most people rant about Manowar this, Manowar that, image this and that... What about the music? Eric Adams, for example is a brilliant singer! He can't just shout and yell, he has the voice to boot.

It's the music that counts, nothing else. Besides that: music is just a matter of personal taste. And if you don't like Manowar, fine.

My female two cents!

I agree with all of these. Great "reviews".

Manowar is nothing but bad for metal. Mindless caveman rock. When anyone wants to make fun of metal, people point to Manowar and Cannible Corpse. The lowest common denominator of metal. All the ugly metal stereotypes can be found in their brutally stupid catalogues. These bands are all image, no substance.

And it's a crime that Hammerfall is more commercially successful than most bands on Ultimate Metal combined. Taking the Manowar sound and image one step further... it's pathetic.

Originally posted by Soilworker
o_O

o_O

How?

So if a band wear masks, and plays an ENTIRELY different musical style to Slipknot, they will be Slipknot wannabes? Wow.

Berzerker are Death Metal with electronic parts.

Slipknot are numetal.

I see no connection, besides the masks.

As for what I hate. Well. Nothing really. Metal is metal to me. While I can see some being more technical and some being really cheesy, it's still all good and fun to listen to. The only bands that I dislike are a few numetal bands, mainly Slipknot. But that's it.

Metal is metal, I like to embrace it all.

I'm so FUCKING sorry if I made a HUGE mess of a diss at your utmost favorite band.

I think they're gay. And lame. They're shit IMO. Must I type out ALL of the reasons for each band I typed out for those who gets offended by it? NO. In my eyes, they're in the same boat as Slipknot...just because they suck.

It seems you don't know much about metal... I mean PLEASE... some metal just suck... :rolleyes:

It seems you don't know much about metal... I mean PLEASE... some metal just suck...

No. No metal "just sucks". One mans trash is another mans treasure. The bands I spent 40 minutes ranting about are loved by loads of people(except Mortician), and I accept and respect that, as long as these don`t try to force their taste on me. If they want to explain or argue my points, I`m ok with that, and don`t degrade their music taste because of that. I would suggest you show a little more respect to those whose opinions differ from you(of course, saying this might be a little hypocritical after my comments about Hammerfalls and Manowars fanbase, but what the heck).

Peace,

Harp

Enchant. I bought their latest on reviews from Amazon. The dudes voice just grates on me. Total sameness all the time. Their music is half way decent, but I can't get by the vocalist.

:cool:

hey all, I'm new to this board, but thought I'd reply to this post--

Lacuna Coil-Scabbia has a beautiful voice (and physicality, had to mention it), yet the music seems to follow a similar pattern for every goddamn song. Constant 4/4 time signitures, no guitar solos whatsoever, rarely an acoustic. They have five people in the band, but one could hardly tell from the final product.

Vanden Plas-Though french is in my blood, I find no enjoyment from this band's style. Though they're not BAD musicians, they're predictable; the singer's nasal whining is absolutely atrocious.

Hammerfall- yes, all they talk about IS 'glory' and 'hearts' and swords and all of that.

Rhapsody-Though I found 'power of the dragonflame' to be somewhat enjoyable, i agree with an above poster that the constant double bass pounding becomes repetitive. Fabio has gotten a bit better with vocals, BUT--here's Rhapsody's greatest downfall. COMPLETE LACK OF VARIATION OF SONG TOPICS. I swear that 90% of both their album AND song titles follow this formula:(choose any various medeival/magical words here) ______of_______ , or the_______of the________. You get my point and it's an impossible one to disagree with, being that YOU CAN LOOK AT THEIR SONG TITLES. Ok, and I'll end my rant against Rhapsody with this: what the FUCK is up with the ridiculous sounding speaker that comes in with his dungeons and dragons mumbling??? Nothing against those who are stricken with a vocal lisp, but c'mon, if a band is looking to choose a speaker with power and credibility, DON'T LET A GUY WITH A WHINY VOICE AND LISP PLAY THE ROLE OF SPEAKER ON EVERY ALBUM PLEASE. Enough said.

Sonata Arctica-Firstoff, their lyrics are (coming from a past english tutor) gramatically flawed on nearly every song. They also lack the symbolism and metaphor which they're obviously trying very hard to enact. My favorite line is: "While you were sleeping, I steal your earring." ha ha. Secondly, the vocalist is so fucking typical of weak power metal. Third, the music is so sped up that it seems to me the only reason they're doing it is to surpass the tempos of their fellow power-metal bands.

Sinergy-Kimberly Goss has a great power metal voice, but to me, aside from their rare ballad (which are always enjoyable), the band sounds a hell of a lot like Children of Bodom. Hmm, could it be because Alexi Laiho is the guitarist?? The songs sound very similar to each other. Great riffs, great solos, but seems to be very little emotion involved with the writing.

On that topic

Children of Bodom-Basically Sinergy without Kimberly Goss. Again, cool power metal riffs, but complete lack of emotion.

In Flames- Great production, but similar song structures all without much variation and experimentation with time signatures. Oh jesus, and there's the vocalist. Occasionally he'll make a feeble attempt at a clean vocal, but fails miserably in his effort. Off-key, whiny. His death growl/snarl isn't bad for it's part, but hearing that shit every song becomes extremely boring.

Any band which decides that implementing any clean vocals is un-metal, un-evil, or whatever their reasons. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a purely-death style here and there, yet in my opinion, a wide span of vocal styles makes for more of a true-to-life listening experience. When a vocalist (even with a great death growl) avoids any melody in singing throughout all albums, I see this as a sign of musical weakness. Sure, this may be what they're looking for, a blistering, anger/darkness injected stylistic, but to me, this gets very very old after a while. To the point where, if there was any emotional reaction upon first hearing the band, it is completely snuffed out by the time a few songs pass. On this topic, Bloodbath, the side project of Mikael Akerfeldt, Dan Swano, and the other two I've forgotten the names of, is fucking great for what it intends to do: create a horrific, Carcass/Autopsy/Death-type music with absolutely no intention except to blast and instill the listener with a sense of doom. Yet....all musicians involved have multiple talents besides creating classic death metal, and have proven this throughout their careers.

The same goes for black metalists who somehow get it into their heads that their life's goal is to create NOTHING but purely evil, satanic, blasphemous, violent, humanistic yet unemotive "music". I deeply enjoy dark atmospheres and haunting song themes, occasionally with satanic-inflections, but when it seems that the main intent of the "musicians" is the serving of their dark lord, I find myself turning away from the utter close-mindedness of their songs.

Of course, this is all my opinion.

As a note, some of my favorite bands are:

Opeth
Symphony X (recently saw them in hollywood, amazing)
Savatage (Zak Stevens era)/Trans Siberian Orchestra
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Zero Hour (S-X fans check them out)
Mercyful Fate

By my listing of these favorites, this is not saying that they are without fault. They're simply my personal favorites.