Don't forget November 11th.

Belgar

The Wallonian Redneck.
Some might not care and with some hope, most or a few on this forum will care.
Come this Thursday don't be afraid to walk to an elder whoever he/she might be and thank him or her for the sacrifice made and blood shed to defend our land. Often overlooked, often looked as just a day away from work it is never too late to say thank you before all the vets disappear and take their secrets to the tomb. So this Thursday thank a veteran for all they have done for you; especially in these times of need when Europe needs to find herself and find her true indentity back. Too often overlooked, too often they came back and we spat on them now it is time to say "thank you". Honour your country, honour your region, honour the blood shed for the Fatherland. Mother Europe, your sons are not forgotten! Take a few minutes to think and shed a few tears for the fallen ones and pay some respect.
Those who don't care, well ... they'll never understand the true meaning of pride in one's Fatherland.

a few years back I taped about 6 hours of my grandfather's childhood,war stories,etc.

also whenever I go back to PL I try to talk to the old farts and find out as much as I can about their experiences of WWII,

very very interesting stuff no doubt and once they pass away it'll be lost forever, don't just depend on the History Channel

Belgar said:
Some might not care and with some hope, most or a few on this forum will care.
Come this Thursday don't be afraid to walk to an elder whoever he/she might be and thank him or her for the sacrifice made and blood shed to defend our land. Often overlooked, often looked as just a day away from work it is never too late to say thank you before all the vets disappear and take their secrets to the tomb. So this Thursday thank a veteran for all they have done for you; especially in these times of need when Europe needs to find herself and find her true indentity back. Too often overlooked, too often they came back and we spat on them now it is time to say "thank you". Honour your country, honour your region, honour the blood shed for the Fatherland. Mother Europe, your sons are not forgotten! Take a few minutes to think and shed a few tears for the fallen ones and pay some respect.
Those who don't care, well ... they'll never understand the true meaning of pride in one's Fatherland.

Spoken true.......and today is the Marine Corps' birthday 11/0/1775 SEMPER FI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We call it Rememberance Day here in Canada. Wear your red poppies and never forget, and if you have kids, teach them what this day is for or we shall not have learned from our collective mistakes.

very well said Belgar, you're totally right, its sad to think that in a few years none of them will be here anymore to talk about it. For example there are like 113 soldiers left alive from WW1 for my country, and they surely will by all gone in less than 10 years.
but for WW2 we still have a little time, my father for example is like 65 years old (yeah he's old compared to me) he didnt fight in the war 'of course he was 6 when it started) but he has anecdotes of the occupation and of the liberation he witnessed. it's always so captivating when a witness talks about these 'olden days' :p

he's more like 70 years old to be precise :p, i had to correct that cause i know some of u mother fuckers would be bitches about it ^^
(i dont really know how old he is, i was born when he was over 50 and i'm 18 so its about that, no one gives a flying fuck but whatever.. :D)

To me, it's just another excuse to get drunk and fucked up. Which is pretty much where my patriotism starts and ends...

it comemorates the eleventh day of the eleventh month on the eleventh hour, when armistice was finally reached and ended WWI, but it has grown to represent a memorial for all wars and those who fought in them.

Unholy War You Will Get!!! You Can Bet!!! Jihad Is A JOKE...

Christ, I gotta quit quoting Phil all the time. For crying out loud...

cool
the only family member i know who fought in a war was my grandfathers father, as a freiwiilig in the winter war. oh wait, there was some commander under Gustavas Adolphus the Great named Lewenhaupt as well, and if you noble you must hhave fought sometimes and besides sweden has fought some wars and my father is a snapphane and i drunk too much whatbeer