Doom.. DOOM!

:) Thank you for all the suggestions.. I'm having a lot of fun learning about this stuff... I have been recording some doom-esque stuff myself as well... and think I'm gonna keep workin on it till its somethin i dont mind letting people hear. This seems to be one of the few genres that REALLY pushes the envelope.

And the new Khanate I like a ton... the guys voice is nice cause you can hear the lyrics really well, and I like them a lot.

Khanates old disc should be in the store in a week, and I will get that then, along with Teeth of lions rule the divine- Rampton.

Khanate irritate me, and not in a good way. Their debut was one of the few CDs I have ever payed money for that ended up as frisbee material. Their gimmick is interesting... for one song.

As for doom... start with traditional stuff like the Candlemass debut (all candlemass records are awe, but their debut is special ) St.Vitus (born too late) Trouble (Psalm 9, even The Skull) Pentagram (not the Turkish fellows). Then go for the romantic doom/death stuff like MDB (I trust you have whatever you need from the MDB catalogue but I'm mentioning them just in case) Mourning Beloveth, Saturnus, Evernus. Evoken are great. Morgion's 'Solinari' is excellent if not a bit thin on the guitar production. I second Skepticism. dISEMBOWELMENT are excellent. Winter, Unholy, Deinonychus also are ok. Get 'Times of Grace' by the band Neurosis also, since it's the most doomy non-doom album I've ever heard. Thergothon are a good bet in funeral doom, also.

you know, even though so many people love warhorse, i really can't stand them. we saw them live once and were bored to tears; the guitarist was soloing and hitting wrong notes all over the place.

Penance are great- Mary Bielich, ex-Novembers Doom bassist plays for them now. I'd check out Proving Ground, Alpha & Omega or their newest (though I haven't heard it yet). www.penancemusic.com

Trouble have always been great. Candlemass was really cool. a lot of people like early (Forest of Equilibrium, Soul Sacrifice) and late (Endtyme, VIIth something) Cathedral (the middle stuff is kind of rockin'). Those border more on the stoner rock edge and classic doom. Tiamat's Wildhoney is classic, though you may have that. The Southern Lord stuff is all pretty great. Some of the Goatsnake stuff is pretty great (that's got rhythm guys from The Obsessed, at least on the first record) albeit a bit rockin' in parts. Great feel though. Everyone else covered pretty much everything (including a lot i mentioned).

I'm in that band?!?
dj7.JPG

Firebox Records is a Finnish label that hands lots of good, depressing funeral doom like Until Death Overtakes Me, who are from Belgium I think, and Finnish bands like My Shameful and Panthiest.

along with all the other reccomendations.

if you are into Candlemass-ish melodic doomy stuff, Memento Mori, Solitude Aeturnus and Memory Garden do the trick quite nicely.

I prefer Until Death Overtakes Me's pre-Firebox material, available through NULLL records. My payment to them got lost but after half a year's bitching, I got the stuff in.

Lamented Souls will be buzzed about around UM soon I guess. They're a good doom metal band in the vein of Candlemass. The lineup's a Norwegian all star kind of thing. Surprisingly, they still bothered to write some decent tunes.

Firebox has really made me happy so far. Their stuff is pretty commercial (compared to Khanate and stuff like that) but I like it a ton. Swallow the Sun really gets me.. I know it is similar to a lot of shit, but it just doesnt get old like those do.. I will also check Lamented Souls... they have a disc out yet?

Lamented Souls just put out a compilation of their older material. It covers the demo for sure. I believe the previously recorded album is shitcanned forever and they might leave part of the 7" exclusive. Duplicate (http://www.duplicate-records.com) handles Europe and Vendlus (http://www.vendlus.com) does the shizzit over here.

I have been in touch with Stu from Aesthetic Death. Esoteric's Epist. Despond. 2 disc set should go about $18.

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but in the last couple of days I've become increasingly interested in Esoteric. Which album should I get?

ATM, I'm thinking Metamorphogenesis, but the "mp3" quality on their site is hardly good enough to make a clear cut decision.