Dragonforce for Gigantour or Sounds of the Underground?

Harvester said:
Evergrey played right before Rage to a packed house of 1,300. Rage played to 400 people max.

Glenn H.

Well, there's no accounting for taste then I suppose.. J/K!!!!

That can happen at any festival.
I heard at the recent New England thing, Gamma Ray played to a MUCH smaller audience than DragonForce (who played before them).

At this years Chicago Powerfest, Morgana Lefay played to about half the crowd that was there for Nocturnal Rites.

As a fan I can tell you this. I feel that many festivals run WAY too late into the evening (I am not sure if this is the case with Prog Power - What time did RAGE go on?)

Lots of times when fans see the main band they want to see, they don't stick around for the headliner (if they are not a fan). I usually stay the whole show. But even at this years Powerfest, it was already after midnight and I was beat, so I did not stick around for Lefay's whole set. If the headliner went on at 10PM, I would have been there the whole time.

Milwaukee Metalfest was the worst for this. I remember in 99, Cradle of Filth headlined. I was never a big fan but due to all the hype (esp at that time) I was interested in checking them out. Well, they were scheduled to go on at like 1:30AM!!!!! What is the point? You are flying in a band. WOuldn't it make more sense to cut out some other bands or start earlier so that they play at a more optimal time to a more packed crowd?

As I said, I am not sure what time headliners go on at Prog Power, but if it is late, then that might be a reason why RAGE played to a small crowd.

The headliner at PP is schedule to hit the stage at 1130pm. There are those that get started a bit later because of their own analness, but we are ready by 1130p on our side of things. As opposed to other festivals, the fatigue factor at PP is a lot less than other festivals. There are only 5 bands/night and there are 800 seats available.

Rage is the only headliner in the history of the festival to have a mass exodus happen.

Glenn H.

Jasonic said:
...At this years Chicago Powerfest, Morgana Lefay played to about half the crowd that was there for Nocturnal Rites.

Lots of times when fans see the main band they want to see, they don't stick around for the headliner (if they are not a fan). I usually stay the whole show. But even at this years Powerfest, it was already after midnight and I was beat, so I did not stick around for Lefay's whole set. If the headliner went on at 10PM, I would have been there the whole time.

I completely echo this sentiment. I felt like a real old lame-o wussy, but I also left after NR at Powerfest. I really wanted to stay for ML....but I just could not go on. I imagine I wouldn't stuck it out if I knew any of their tunes, but I didn't. I'll just blame it on NR for kicking my ass big-time! :headbang:

Harvester said:
Rage is the only headliner in the history of the festival to have a mass exodus happen.

Glenn H.

...and how freaking SAD was that? Those that left missed an ass kicking set,
and I doubt Rage would have ANY interest in playing the fest again, let alone anywhere in the US. I'm admittedly a HUGE Rage fan, and have been a fan of Victor Smolski's since his days in Mind Odyssey, but it defies explanation why THAT many people bailed. Their loss, as well as ours. :mad:

J-Dubya

All points made have been extremely valid.
There are some that have no problems staying until 2AM to watch bands. I have done it myself in younger years (prior to kids, etc).

I have to be honest though in saying I have left shows and missed bands I wanted to see simply because it was getting too late.

They hands down had the most electrifying set at the NEMHF, close behind was CHIMIARIA. Both had unbelievable sets..... The crowd was screaming "DRAGONFORCE" a set before they were coming on, witch really disrespected BRONX CASKET COMPANY (bass player of OVERKILL)

Harvester said:
The headliner at PP is schedule to hit the stage at 1130pm. There are those that get started a bit later because of their own analness, but we are ready by 1130p on our side of things. As opposed to other festivals, the fatigue factor at PP is a lot less than other festivals. There are only 5 bands/night and there are 800 seats available.

And then there's me.....plenty of seating available, but I'm so keyed up for the fest I just forget to sit down. :)

Glenn H.

I think they're also the only headliner ever to have a 'big' band's autographing session (Evergrey's) take place during their set, due to time/travel constraints, as you noted here in the Forum.

And that night, it sucked to be Rage.

I'd have been in there checking Rage out (I'm not a big fan, but I'll give any band a few songs to entertain me), but damnit, Tom E. and the boyz were outside signing autographs, and I couldn't miss 'em; they're almost like family by now. :)

Harvester said:

Glenn H.

I am one of those that left early. It was part fatigue (I am not as young as I use to be), part volume and part because the other two in my party wanted to leave and we all shared a rental car.

I think we stayed for the first three songs and quite frankly it was so loud that it undistishable noise with brief gaps inbetween. Also, I wasn't a big Rage fan back then. Unity was their latest album at the time and I was not impressed with it. In fact, it's still not my favorite Rage album, not by a longshot. But I explored a little deeper and found Thirteen, Ghost, WTTOS, and Soundchaser. All of which are excellant albums.

To be frank, I rarely find the headliners at PP as interesting or appelling as some of the other bands on the roster. For example, headliners like Kamelot, Stratovarius, Nightwish and Blind Guardian were all disappointing, pompous, and/or just plain silly. I come to see the more obscure bands and meet with old friends every year. Yet I completely understand why Glenn books the more popular bands. It's a business after all and he has tickets to sell.

But in general, after three nights of partying I'm pretty worn out by the end of the last night. So my patience is running thin. Not to mention the bloody heat last year. I know Glenn says that certain bands insist on the AC to be turned off but I can't enjoy a band if I'm uncomfortable in a sweatbox of a theater. Several times last year I had to exit to the lobby during performance just to get some cold air. If that continues, my interest in the festival will be quickly waning. I hate to attend outdoor festivals in the heat of the summer for the same reason. I figure why pay big bucks to sweat. But I am off on a tangent. :loco:

Having said all this, I think Evergrey and Jorn are two of the best headliners in the history of the festival. So I will stay for and through both bands.

They are doing the SOUNDS OF THE UNDERGROUND........

Thursday, July 13
Mid- Hudson Civic Center-Poughkeepsie
Showtime 3pm
THE SOUNDS OF THE UNDERGROUND
featuring....
AS I LAY DYING * IN FLAMES
TRIVIUM * CANNIBAL CORPSE
GWAR * TERROR * DRAGONFORCE
BLACK DAHLIA MURDER * THE CHARIOT
HORSE THE BAND * THROUGH THE EYES OF THE DEAD
Tickets $29.99 adv/$35 day of
on sale at all Ticketmaster locations,
The Chance box office and ther Mid-Hudson Civic Center
In Association with The Chance & Rhythmden Productions

That might be just a one show thing, as they are not listed on the general lineup site.

7thSaviour said:
I am still hoping they play Gigantour!

Me too, but if you look at DragonForce's tour itinerary, they finish an overseas jaunt at the beginning of July. Therefore, they would be free to jump right on SOTU.

The only other band that I remotely have any interest in seeing on SOTU is In Flames (who I have seen more than enough times).
Also, I am sure DragonForce will be playing super early and get what, like 20 minutes tops?

I just checked both the Dragonforce itinerary and the SOTU dates.

Dragonforce have a show in Spain on July 8, which is also the first date of SOTU in Cleveland.

Therefore, I assume if they do SOTU it means they will be missing the first few dates at least.

Hmmmm. Maybe they will want to take the rest of July off, and then do Gigantour. That would be nice!!!!!

Yea Sam was saying that SOTU just sad to see them only get 20 or 30 minutes but if they are on Gigantour they would only get about the same amount that why it kicked so mush ass seeing them headline at Jaxx!!!!!