Dragonforce / Sonata Arctica US tour

Unfortunately for Sonata, I'll probably be missing this tour, unless they come up with another support band that I do like. I hate Dragonforce and I hate their fans even more...no thanks.:puke:

Sonata are the support-band on this tour.

I was just thinking the three times I saw SA, they had no tour-mates. The shows had just local openers. (The first time, they were literally the only band to play the show. I have no complaints about that.) I missed the headline tour they did in 07, so I don't know if they had a tour-support band there.

Hipsters these days are just pseudo nerds. Buy some horned rim glasses, take out the lenses, and toss a keffiyeh (those checkered scarf) around your neck . You'll be all set.
Bonus points if you have a fake vintage 70s metal band shirt and a vest or blazer to toss over it.

I have a fake vintage 70's metal band shirt. :(

I wore it to ProgPower a couple years ago, actually. I <3 my faux-vintage Blackc Sabbath shirt. I got it at The Buckle of all places. I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster, though.

I have a fake vintage 70's metal band shirt. :(

I wore it to ProgPower a couple years ago, actually. I <3 my faux-vintage Blackc Sabbath shirt. I got it at The Buckle of all places. I'm pretty sure I'm not a hipster, though.

The key is layering. Just wearing the shirt is fine. If you wear the shirt with another 3 unnecessary layers of clothing and nonprescription glasses (but not sunglasses) then we might be concerned.

Isn't SA trying to change their tune from happy speed metal? Then why tour with what the general public considers the ultimate happy speed metal band? They're going to put the crowd to sleep with their sleepy Unia type power ballads. Even if they play new stuff, it's not going to be fast stuff, right?

Were Sonata Arctica ever known as a "happy" band? Sure many of their songs are in major keys or whatnot, but if you read the lyrics to many of their songs, they are quite depressing.

Regardless...I cannot wait until the Dragonforce craze is over and better power metal bands could possible become popular.

Were Sonata Arctica ever known as a "happy" band? Sure many of their songs are in major keys or whatnot, but if you read the lyrics to many of their songs, they are quite depressing.

Regardless...I cannot wait until the Dragonforce craze is over and better power metal bands could possible become popular.

Haha, you remind me of what I said to a friend who asked me about Sonata's lyrics.

Emo-Power Metal. :lol:

Part of what I've always liked about them were the often creepy lyrics in their "love" ballads. There's like three of them that are flat out stalker songs.

When I first got into SA, the negative, depressive nature of their lyrics, as well as their focus on the personal (rather than dragons....werewolf songs notwithstanding) immediately jumped out at me and were a major factor of why they became my favorite power metal band. They certainly were juxtaposed over happy-sounding, major-key melodies often enough, which is a valid point. You'd have to be a lyric-sheet reading type or have a really good ear for hearing words if you're not.

The End of this Chapter...creepy and awesome.

EDIT: even the lyrics to Wolf & Raven, they're of a more introspective, personal-struggle-with-oneself type rather than "riding into battle against evil forces of darkness" type.

The song "Don't Say a Word" has some of the creepiest lyrics ever...and I never noticed until I sat down with the lyric sheet. Then I was like "oh man, this song rules now."

I am too square to be a hipster...you seen how I dress. And since I dispise Guitar Hero.....I guess I would fall into the goofball / knucklehead crowd, or a Morlock.

Why do you dispise Guitar Hero?
It is resulting in lots of kids picking up a real guitar.
Also, turing a lot of youngsters onto older bands.

It's fun to play, for what it is.
Sometimes frustrating as a guitarist (Well, bassist) to play at times.

Anyhow, I think this is a good pairing of bands, but like others have said, seen both, and will pass.

There are other Chicago shows coming up, like Pentagram, Trouble, Gates of Slumber, Priest, Heaven and Hell, etc.

Why do you dispise Guitar Hero?
It is resulting in lots of kids picking up a real guitar.
Also, turing a lot of youngsters onto older bands.

It's fun to play, for what it is.
Sometimes frustrating as a guitarist (Well, bassist) to play at times.

Anyhow, I think this is a good pairing of bands, but like others have said, seen both, and will pass.

There are other Chicago shows coming up, like Pentagram, Trouble, Gates of Slumber, Priest, Heaven and Hell, etc.

all GuitarHero is, is an updated version of the old game Simon Sez with current music instead of the old fashioned beeps. You are still following the color patterns and trying not to miss one. Where is it stated that more kids are picking up musical instruments??? it is pretty much doing the opposite it seems.....

what bands aside Dragonforce have benefited from this? Sure they get royalties but who is actually going...I need to pick up that album with that song....with CD sales dropping each month....it isnt helping...the kids who play guitar hero are the same ones who would just illegally download it anyways.

Seeing the crowd at the last Dragonforce show.......my statements are 100% dead on.