Dragonforce / Sonata Arctica US tour

For those only interested in seeing Sonata....here's some Sonata Arctica headline US dates:
09/17/09 The Jumping Turtle - San Marcos, CA (SONATA ONLY)
10/12/09 Webster Theater - Hartford, CT (SONATA ONLY)
10/13/09 Rex Theater - Pittsburgh, PA (SONATA ONLY)
10/15/09 Music Hall - London, ON – CANADA (SONATA ONLY)
10/16/09 Peabody’s - Cleveland, OH (SONATA ONLY)
10/17/09 Uncle Pleasants - Louisville, KY (SONATA ONLY)
10/18/09 Rave - Milwaukee, WI (SONATA ONLY)

Used to be a big fan of SA. It is bit waning the last couple of years. Was not that impressed with their live performance at ProgPower or when they supported Nightwish in St. Pete. They played none of my favorite songs. It was quite mind boggling how they practically avoided their first couple of album. Unia sucked. There is no other way to put it. I will still support them. Always thought Tony's lyrics were always a bit interesting. Agree with one poster about "The End of This Chapter". Great song. I think I liked their slower songs more than their faster ones. The lyric-"I have found the whore in you" always cracks me up. Last Drop Falls is a great tell off song. Of course they didn't play that one either.

Used to be a big fan of SA. It is bit waning the last couple of years. Was not that impressed with their live performance at ProgPower or when they supported Nightwish in St. Pete. They played none of my favorite songs. It was quite mind boggling how they practically avoided their first couple of album. Unia sucked. There is no other way to put it. I will still support them. Always thought Tony's lyrics were always a bit interesting. Agree with one poster about "The End of This Chapter". Great song. I think I liked their slower songs more than their faster ones. The lyric-"I have found the whore in you" always cracks me up. Last Drop Falls is a great tell off song. Of course they didn't play that one either.

You prefer their slower songs but thinks Unia sucks? I think you need to revisit it, bro. There's a lot going on there, and its easily the best thing they've ever done.

I hope their next one tops it, though I read this one isn't going to be as complex as Unia was, probably a direct result of so many people regarding it as their worst yet. What a bummer. :mad:

I just didn't think the writing on Unia was up to snuff. It also seemed that every song on that album was the same speed. I like a good variety on albums. I will definitely buy the new album, but I do have low expectations at this point.

10/12/09 Webster Theater - Hartford, CT (SONATA ONLY)

Want to go to that, but it might come down to the date w/ DragonForce in Worcester being 40 minutes away and on a Friday, opposed to the Sonata offdate being an hour and 45 minutes and a Monday.

I'll have to see what happens anyways. September & October are a pain for shows, there's way too many (I'm not complaining, it just forces me to make tough decisions. Doro and Motorhead are playing in Hartford and Boston respectively on the same day, for instance)

My question is why is Sonata opening for DragonForce? Hasn't Sonata earned the right to do their own headline tour? Have they fallen that far that fast?

talk to any of them who play.

Plenty do but digital sales spiking for Through the Fire and the Flames and overall album sales going up after Guitar Hero 3 released shows enough people paid money.

Following the inclusion of "Through the Fire and Flames" in Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock, sales of DragonForce CDs increased in one week by 126%.[12] Digital sales of the song, recorded by Nielsen SoundScan, increased from 2,000 per week to 10,000 per week almost immediately after the game's release, and almost reached 40,000 per week by the end of 2007.[13]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Fire_and_Flames#Guitar_Hero

I'm sure it's a matter of CD sales, wherein DF outsells SA by a long shot.

I understand that. But, Sonata already has proven themselves as a headliner. Why can't they make the money and headline their own tour? Let DragonForce get an act like Suspyre or Zandelle or DDD to open for them. Those are bands that can really use the exposure.

Probably it's because both bands are on Spinefarm Finland's roster, which IMO means that Sonata doesn't have to buy their slot on the tour like support acts usually do.