Dragonforce-sonic Firestorm

Rocky Raccoon

I am the Walrus
Feb 24, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
What do you guys think of this album?? I got it the other day & love it. The only band i'd heard like these guys before was Symphony X which are one of my favs.. What other great bands can you guys recommend me ?
My extent of prog metal at the moment is Opeth, pain of salvation, Children of Bodom and Dream Theater (not really much of a fan but they ok).. What bands am I missing out on?

Benighted1 said:
What do you guys think of this album?? I got it the other day & love it. The only band i'd heard like these guys before was Symphony X which are one of my favs.. What other great bands can you guys recommend me ?
My extent of prog metal at the moment is Opeth, pain of salvation, Children of Bodom and Dream Theater (not really much of a fan but they ok).. What bands am I missing out on?

Dragonforce does not sound like SX dude. I don't have anything against Dragonforce, I am just saying one is probably the fastest band with clean vocals all the time. SX is much more. Well anyway here are some bands to check out.

Adagio-Buy Underworld Right Now!
Time Requiem
Ayreon
Madsword
Magistral
Angra
Stratovarius
Angel Dust
Conception
Kamelot
Evergrey
Outworld

Benighted1 said:
I think you should check Adagio... one of my favs.
I don't like Dragonforce much....

I'm a massive DF fan, and i can safely tell you that my next favourite powermetal band just behind them is Angra.

They "rebirth" or "temple Of Shadows" if you like great guitar work

If you like Bodom you should check out Norther, Wintersun or Kalmah. I like Dragonforce too but after listening to Valley of the Damned about 100 times I was tired of it. That was one of the first shred solos I ever learned. :headbang:

I also forgot Nightwish...one of my favorites. :headbang:

Sonic Firestorm is an excellent album for fast-paced melodic power metal, but it's worlds apart from Symphony X. I'd say SymX have some elements of power metal, but that's just one small aspect of the unique Symphony X style which encompasses traditional progressive rock, progressive metal, neo-classical metal, heavy metal, and many other genres.

If you liked Dragonforce, then here are some other power/melodic/speed metal bands of a similar sort of vein that may interest you:

Angra
Axenstar
Edguy
Firewind
Hammerfall
Kamelot
Rhapsody
Stormwarrior
Thunderstone
Wizard

Of these I would definitely recommend you check out Edguy, Firewind, Kamelot (last two releases especially) and Thunderstone. Oh and check out DF's debut - Valley Of The Damned. It's just as good as Sonic Firestorm.

If you're particularly impressed by guitar work, you'll probably also be awed by these:

Cacophony
Impelliterri
Jason Becker
Joe Stump
Michael Angelo
Michael Romeo
Racer X
Rusty Cooley
Yngwie Malmsteen

And as for progressive metal, check out:

Adagio
Ark
Dream Theater
Dreamscape
Threshold
Time Requiem

I cannot stress how good an album Ark's Burn The Sun is. It is brilliant. Oh and also buy all the Symphony X you don't already have.

I can listen few songs of dragonforce, but then i get bored of it. Every song is similar. Same chords and then comes the solos. They lasts 5 minutes.. Yeah and you were right it doesent sound symphony x! check adagio - underworld and shadow gallery - tyranny cds

Sonata Arctica

Shaman

Majesty

Kotipelto

COOONNNQQQUUUEEEST OF STEEELLLL!!!

Freedom Call

Gamma Ray

Old Helloween

Avantasia

None of these bands are like DF just you're obviously looking for some good pwoermetal

Ark-Burn the Sun is a 10/10.

going in that vein:

Jorn's solo album
Masterplan-s/t
Masterplan's new cd

Liquid Tension Experiment/Dream Theater
Threshold
Zero Hour <- heavy,complex,deep stuff.

hundreds more... prog/power metal has so many good bands

Can i just say FUCKING BLIND GUARDIAN in addition to what everyone else has said. They are not very technical but they write brilliant, brilliant albums with extremely good lyrics which despite what people say are not cheesey fun powermetal stuff (which is also good in moderation). Also their production is always top notch and epic; theres not one album since about 1992 which i havent loved (although a night at the opera wasnt quite as good as their previous efforts).

These are my selections that haven't been mentioned...

Psychotic Waltz
Orphan Land
Disillusion
Anti-Depressive Delivery
Arcturus