Other metal suggestions?

Vanden Plas also makes a nice addition.

Even if you're just starting out on this genre, start yourself in prog rock and jazz.. The music that influenced the prog metallers to write music of their own.

Rush, ELP, Yes, Zappa, etc.. <---Also some of my top 10 bands.

Speaking of Ayreon, that tune with Romeo and Sir Russell Allen on it, Dawn of A Million Souls, has easily Romeo's best solo. It is absolutely PERFECT...I really hope that he pumps out some more solos like that. So epic, so perfect...I think Imma go listen to it now.

Anybody ever heard of Sikth? They are a sick progressive metal band from England with 2 awesome guitarists, a SICK bass player who plays funk and slap, a fantastic drummer who reminds me of Rullo, and 2 screamers (one sings). The music is so well written, especially how the vocals are written to bounce off one another. Get their first album, I recommend the songs "Pussyfoot, Scent of the Obscene, and Pull My Finger"

Vanden Plas is amazing amazing music, I'm not sure I'd really classify them as prog but they're in my prog folder so yeah
And this little no nothing band Ice Age. I really have no idea where they came from or where they went, but I absolutely adore both of their albums to death. If you want them I'd gladly send them your way

That's all I got, hope it helps

Vanden Plas are from Germany and they have been writing epical masterpieces since 1997. "The God THing" started them on their way.

Bryant

i've been a member for some time now on this forum... however i never posted anything... just read the whole crap :headbang:

Thought this was a good time to add something to a topic :heh:

music.JPG

In this image is a big part of my collection... most of them are worth listening to. A big part of the list is populated with prog metal/prog rock/power metal/crazy musicians.

My personal favorites (left out the ones the TS mentioned: )

Andromeda
Angra
Ark
Circus Maximus
Conception
Evergrey
Frost
Greg Howe (not metal but this guy is sick on guitar)
Heaven's Cry
Jon Finn Group (all teachers at berkley university where DT studied)
Liquid Tension Experiment
Pain of Salvation
Redemption
Riverside
Sun Caged
Textures
Tool

(sorry if my english is bad... im from holland :))

Scar Symmetry is the best new band I've heard in a long fucking time. Pitch Black Progress is golden.

For whatever reason I still can't get into that band to any terribly great degree; ever time I find myself listening to one of their tracks I can't help but wish it was Mercenary playing instead.

I have to admit that i loved scar symmetry at first, but like opeth and death, the fans spewing their shorts about it every 5 seconds and the sudden popularity made me go "huh?". Thus, i enjoy the album, but the band just annoys me more than anything, which is a shame.

That's how I feel about Dragonforce. At first they were friggin' AWESOME!! But after everybody started jacking off to them whenever someone said the word Metal, they just started to get annoying.

Opeth are so much better then Scar Symmetry and it's never been a problem for me to still like a band that others keep raving about endlessly...

I have to admit that i loved scar symmetry at first, but like opeth and death, the fans spewing their shorts about it every 5 seconds and the sudden popularity made me go "huh?". Thus, i enjoy the album, but the band just annoys me more than anything, which is a shame.

Ahh, but if you run away because a band gets popular and gets a lot of fanboys/girls, doesn't that mean you're (in reverse) caving in to public opinion? ;)

MasqueReaper,

I jusy notice you're from central Jersey... I'll be bowling the masters down at Carolier next month which means a trip to Vintage vinyl! Hopefully they'll have it in stock....