Other metal suggestions?

greenaxer

Knight of the Templar
Apr 28, 2005
A city in the sun
www.public.asu.edu
I love Symphony X, Dream Theater, Nevermore, Savatage, etc. But I'd like to know what other good metal bands out there you guys would recommend. I love really heavy stuff that can be beautiful and melodic as well (Opeth, Nevermore), so what else would you all recommend? I like what I've heard from Therion and Adagio so far. Recommendations on them?

Ptah, I know you love Kamelot, who I've checked out recently. What would you recommend from them?

Thanks

Karma is the best for Kamelot IMO. Fourth Legacy is pretty much garbage. Siege Perilous is an underrated classic.

Other bands:

Communic
Scar Symmetry
Agalloch (a little more doomy, but very beautiful stuff)
Antimatter
Anathema
Haggard
Tarot
Therion
Tyr
Virgin Steele
Swallow the Sun
My Dying Bride

A lot of these are a lot different than the aforementioned as in not all are very progressive or anything, but are all very beautiful and complex in their own way. Some have death vocals (got the clue from opeth that you can handle them in small doses) but none are really death metal bands per se.

A few good power/prog/symphonic that haven't been mentioned...

Pyramaze
Avantasia
Kiuas
Anthropia
Hamka
Orphaned Land
Wuthering Heights
Dragonland
Sirenia (throw in some gothic too)

Definitely Nightwish was well, but I imagine you've heard them. As for Kamelot, I consider The Black Halo to be their crowning masterpiece, just amazing.

Reactions: Taliwakker
Kamelot, as meisteh said, the Black Halo, The Fourth Legacy, Karma or Epica would be the best. Those are the only 4 that I have. They have 3 albums before those, but only one of those 3 has Roy Khan singing. Anyway, those 4 are my top reccomendations for them.
And if you enjoy Roy Khan's voice, I reccomend checking out some Conception. I haven't heard much from them, but what I have heard was pretty friggin' nuts.

np: Adagio - R'lyeh the Dead

Reactions: J-Dubya 777
Redemption
Evergrey
Wuthering Heights
Virgin Steele
Rage
Jag Panzer

I guarantee you will love those six bands if you give them a chance.

Also, as a side note, if you like Dream Theater and Symphony X you should also give prog metal legends Fates Warning a chance.

Good to see that someone's already recommended Orphaned Land to you.

If the power metal kind of "heavy" is up your alley, Blind Guardian has been getting more melodic lately and you would probably like their three most recent albums (maybe the other stuff too, but you should start in their later period).

You may, if you're willing to sacrifice some heaviness for REALLY good melody, also want to try Ayreon if you haven't already. Trust me, it's worth it.

Good to see that someone's already recommended Orphaned Land to you.

If the power metal kind of "heavy" is up your alley, Blind Guardian has been getting more melodic lately and you would probably like their three most recent albums (maybe the other stuff too, but you should start in their later period).

You may, if you're willing to sacrifice some heaviness for REALLY good melody, also want to try Ayreon if you haven't already. Trust me, it's worth it.
I think with ayreon, it's only fair to mention that they don't have a very defined sound. And before anyone gets all prog-snobby on me, just bare with me for a moment.

Ayreon has a style that constantly changes, and some of the albums *are* heavier and some are just prog. For example, INto the Electric Castle is hailed as a masterpiece, and i find it the most boring piece of shit album i've ever heard. However, the human equation and universal migrator part 2 are great.

Also, it's a bit cheesy, but AAL's other project Star One is worth checking out. Maybe Ambeon too if you're into female vocal stuff.

Early blind guardian is much heavier than later blind guardian. The new album is completely worthless, but ANATO is pretty epic. Personally, i prefer the first three because they're very thrash oriented while still sounding like blind guardian.

Edit: Remember that everyone is also going to have their own tastes, and you have to figure out what you like. It honestly sounds like you haven't listened to a lot of metal (maybe i'm wrong) but after you check out some initial suggestions, you'll really take off from there. Read reviews of bands you like, see which bands they cite in reviews and go from there. It's a lot of "research" and i (as well as many others here i'm sure) have spent a good portion of the last few years of my life on the internet and chatting with other metalheads in my area (or globally for that matter) finding new bands that i enjoy. There's no easy answer to any of it, it just takes time to find something that clicks.

as some people already said: Wuthering Heights and Kiuas.

everyone on the planet should at least try Arcturus' The Sham Mirrors also. if you'll like it, you'll like it a lot.

if you want thrash/power-melodic stuff, I can't think of anything much better than Gamma Ray's latest (except for kiuas and wuthering heights, maybe). a lot faster/heavier than their previous stuff.