Dream Theater in the studio

Myung doesn't write lyrics anymore, I know that much. But as far as songs go he rocks the house basically; some of the riffs from SFAM that he did are genius. Check out their DVDs with commentary, they pick apart who wrote what.

why does SK constantly try to start shit on the forums with DT, no one can argue this point online or in person, since no where in dt history does one of the band members say myung is not valued. Myung is a great musician/bassist, and his fans/the band love his ass to death. Take a look on youtube, one of their live shows POURTNOY himself (or labrie) says, "alright before we continue, we gotta take some time out for somebody very special, John Myung" As the band starts to sing happy b-day to him on stage at a live show. Just because he is not included as hardcore as petrucci in the writting process does not make him un-valued! Case closed, pointe Finale!

yep, they should definately go with them... (InsideOut)

DT is far too big of a band for IO. This is unrealistic. If they went with a label that size, it'd be a huge benefit for the label, and not for the band. It's equally unrealistic for them to sign to Sensory, The End, Black Mark, Metal Blade, Nuclear Blast.... all good labels, but too small for DT. Road Runner is a contender, but I'd rather they didn't go that direction. Enough decent bands have been dragged into Ozzfest and the like already :puke:

Nuclear Blast would be a decent choice. I would love to see IO get more attention though, and if DT were to sign with them it would benefit them greatly.

DT is far too big of a band for IO. This is unrealistic. If they went with a label that size, it'd be a huge benefit for the label, and not for the band. It's equally unrealistic for them to sign to Sensory, The End, Black Mark, Metal Blade, Nuclear Blast.... all good labels, but too small for DT. Road Runner is a contender, but I'd rather they didn't go that direction. Enough decent bands have been dragged into Ozzfest and the like already :puke:
And Roadrunner would probably make them be heavier, and Dream Theater shouldn't be any heavier than they are.

Sknight is moron,don't listen to him.

Portnoy has said in the past that Myung isn't allowed to write because he doesn't present his material with accompanying melodies. When Jordan joined the band, they made this rule, which ended up excluding Myung from much of the writing process due to his writing style.

Much of Myung's writing is based on his poems and personal writing, as it always had been. The poems would be presented and he would develop music around it with the band, but after Jordan was brought in, they made the rule to develop a melody and this mostly excluded John from most of the writing process beyond playing out a part as they're developing it in the studio.

SK is talking about lryical writings. I think the main confusion here is, like most prog' fans, we were thinking of the music writing, not lyrics. Lyrics are always second to come to mind to most prog' fans, I find. Myung has been taken out of the lyric writing portion, but he still writes the music (which is most important, imo)

What I love about DT albums is that it's always something radically different from the last. It's like a surprise, I fucking love that.

No kidding! It's awesome! People ask me which one is best, or which one they should listen to first, but you have to hear all of them cos they're all so unique and all have good stuff. Scenes is still my personal fave, but all have aspects that I love! And when you watch them play live on their dvd's, no matter what song it is, even if the studio version isn't that great, any song played live kicks ass...

No kidding! It's awesome! People ask me which one is best, or which one they should listen to first, but you have to hear all of them cos they're all so unique and all have good stuff. Scenes is still my personal fave, but all have aspects that I love! And when you watch them play live on their dvd's, no matter what song it is, even if the studio version isn't that great, any song played live kicks ass...

Yeah i really like raise the knife in Score, i always had the studio version on my pc but i never really listened to it, and also The Afterlife kicks ass inhere because it's not with dominici...

I can't get into Raise the Knife honestly...I tried hard, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Speaking of Dominici, I have this tune of him singing Metropolis Pt. 1 live with DT, including LaBrie...and he absolutely owned LaBrie. it makes me squirm with delight.