Dream Theater Role Call in ATL

RagePSV

Sep 6, 2007
GA
Anyone going? Anyone seen them yet on this tour and know what time they hit the stage? I don't have much interest in the bands opening. Thanks.

I'll be there, and probably will be wearing a ProgPower IX shirt. Normally I'd wear an evil black-metal t-shirt to such a show, but the chance to sell a few more tickets for Glenn trumps the traditional shock value :lol:

Really trying to get there in time to see Scale the Summit, since I missed them at Texas MadFest. (They weren't officially part of the fest and were added by the venue, but everyone was raving about them after they opened the evening.)

I saw the setlist on MetalSetlists.com...

01.A Nightmare to Remember
02.Prophets of War
03.Keyboard Solo
04.Sacrificed Sons
05.A Rite of Passage
06.The Dance of Eternity
07.One last Time
08.Solitary Shell
09.Take the Time
Encore:
10.The Count of Tuscany

After seeing this, I'm kind of glad I didn't go. Dream Theater would have been the big draw for me (as I don't really know that much Zappa to appreciate ZpZ, or the other openers)...and honestly, I think this is a fucking terrible setlist. I understand the inclusion of three new tracks, that's fine. "Take the Time" is okay, but it's like the 4th best song on I&W, "Dance of Eternity"/"One Last Time" is cool b/c it's from my favorite album, but I can name about 4 songs from that album that I'd rather hear instead. Fuck "Solitary Shell"...it's just one part of a big long epic that would be better off played in it's entirety. And why do they ignore the first CD of that album? "The Glass Prison" is easily the best song on Six Degrees if not the best DT song ever. Furthermore, fuck "Prophets of War" and "Sacrificed Sons"...nowhere close to being the good songs on their respective albums. If they're gonna play something from Systematic Chaos, how about a song that actually rules like "Constant Motion" or "The Dark Eternal Night"? Hell, even "Forsaken"--they made a video for it! Jesus Christ, play the songs people might know!

And it seems like they care not for the songs that got them a shred of popularity to begin with. They can put a few songs in there that are fun to play just for them, that's fine, they can play whatever they want most of the time. But give the people what they want: where the fuck is "Pull Me Under"? You dedicated a goddamn greatest hits album to that song, yet you still fail to play it at most of your gigs...fuck that. And also, I rather enjoy the song "The Spirit Carries" on and think that it goes over really well live...see The Score for details. Lastly, nothing from the album Awake is just sad, if not unforgiveable. I hope the performance was good, and the people who went enjoyed it, because I probably would have been disappointed regardless.

I agree - the setlist was definitely an odd one. Solitary Shell was the worst I thought. Just to play that song of all songs you have in your catalogue, but then they made it extended with solo's - literally probably 15 minutes long.

They can't please everyone - but geez, talk about an off the wall setlist. Besides the new album tracks, I don't think a single one of those were songs I would've picked as one's to play live on this tour.

:lol: Talk about some whiners...take your Gildenlow panties off and accept some real progressive metal that DT offers up on a nightly basis. Different setlist every show.

Pull Me Under...every night? Cliche as hell. Freakin' I&W fanbois. :rolleyes:

:lol: Talk about some whiners...take your Gildenlow panties off and accept some real progressive metal that DT offers up on a nightly basis. Different setlist every show.

Not necessarily a good thing when half of your albums are weak...

I'm glad I skipped this. I had a final this morning and free tickets to Warped Tour yesterday (horrible music but a great time overall).

How were Bigelf and Scale the Summit?

I've actually only been a fan of Dream Theater since 6 Degrees was the new album, so I haven't had the opportunity to see them on every tour since Images and Words, but seriously, I think it's good when a band tries to play a few songs each night that everyone knows and appreciates.

I do enjoy DT and all, but calling them progressive nowadays is like calling Hammerfall groundbreaking. DT has been plugging away doing the same thing they've been doing since the first few albums. The only thing they've progressed is their gigantic egos. I still like them a lot, but get over it, guy.

I think it's good when a band tries to play a few songs each night that everyone knows and appreciates.

I do enjoy DT and all, but calling them progressive nowadays is like calling Hammerfall groundbreaking.

They played Take the Time, one of the best songs off I&W. You mean everybody doesn't know that one? And they played others that any DT fan should know & enjoy.

l don't think anyone believes DT is doing anything groundbreaking...but they are still pushing the progressive edge that they started. l mean after all...DT is the band that developed & advanced the hallowed ground that all prog bands attempt to walk on nowadays.

I knew that they mixed up the setlist, and was happy for it. I think a planned setlist is way to commercial for a band like Dream Theater. To me they are one of these bands that have hardcore fans that have all of their stuff, so any song is game. Besides, all of the new stuff sounded amazing live. And I love Solitary Shell and was extremely happy they played it...so was everyone I was with. And anyone that says James La Brie can't sing anymore didn't hear Take the Time...pitch perfect. Seriously, it's refreshing to hear a band not play their "hits"...leave that to radio bands. This was my first DT show, and I will see them everytime from now on.

If you want to hear Pull Me Under live again, just buy ANY of their DVDs. Personally, I prefer they'd never perform it again, because I've heard it on every single tour except this one.

It was an excellent show!
I got there at about 3pm and hung out with the Eternal Hour guys all night, since I bought my ticket from one of them & later met up with one of the guys on here in the line, Allen?

Doors opened a bit after 5pm and Scale the Summit took the stage at 5:55pm They were amazing. Very progressive music without the use of power chords. Kinda sounded like video game music which I love. I'll have to get there albums now!

Next were Bigelf which was a complete surprise. They had a 70's era prog feel that reminded me of Black Sabbath if they had an organ/keyboard player. You had to be there to experience it. They were rockin'!

Then ZPZ went on for a lengthy set. Absolutely incredible. Every member is a top notch musician. And the stage show was very entertaining with there lead vocalist and all the solo spots for all the members. It was insane, but I could also see why someone could have not enjoyed the set that much.

Now for the mighty Dream Theater! They were everything I expected and more. Being caught off guard by there ever changing set-list they do every night, I was really happy they played Dance of eternity and One More Time! Since I believe those to song sum up SFAM very well. All the other songs were great too! Being a pretty big Dream Theater fan I could have enjoyed any set list they choose. But I'm glad they work around the set-list with James LaBrie. To give him a solid good performance. Such as cutting a verse in Take the Time and just sticking to more modern songs. Any old school Dream Theater fan probably wouldn't like this, but you gotta remember Labrie doesn't have the same range he had 15 years ago for the older songs.

Over all it was a fantastic show and I can surely say Progressive Nation lives up to its name!