Dream Theater

Idunnonuten

Jan 6, 2006
Please don't just bitch and call me stupid, show a little bit of self dignity.
Enjoy ladies and gents, for I know you will.

I'll post this and then i won't ever critisize them again.
What the fuck does anybody in Dream theater (but ESPECIALLY Mike Portnoy) do that just about any other metal musician can't? I'm not saying that they are talentless, just that they all recieve more praise than they are worth. They are generic, predictable, and passionless.

What good riffs they used to have (admitting that I've heard some some decent old DT songs) have now turned into down tuned nu-metal.

Guys that deserve their degree of praise include Chuck Schuldiner (guitars), Alex Webster (bass), Karl Sanders/ Dallas Toller-Wade (guitars), Dan Briggs (bass), Flo Mounier (drums), Inferno (drums), and any vocalist that ever did anything for anyone ever.

Can somebody give me an example of something any of them can do that i haven't already heard, or that incorporates something other than a riff that's just a portal for another solo? Or feel free to give more examples of musicians that rape DT's talent (it shouldn't be too difficult).

*Have fun:)

John Myung is better than just about any bass player in metal today.

The rest of Dream Theater has gotten comparatively worse because musicianship in metal has gone up over the last 10 years. Portnoy in '92 or '94 had fewer peers than he does now. Same with Petrucci. Rudess is still a phenomenally talented keys player.

I also don't think Dream Theater is nearly as emotionless as many people make them out to be. They have a fairly diverse range of feeling in their songs, and they've written some very good ballads over the years.

I still agree that the last two albums weren't very good though.

Have you seen Portnoy's videos or anything? He really is quite good. Anyone can play fast these days. Portnoy's coordination is incredible. He can basically play a different time signature with each limb.

Idunnonuten said:
What the fuck does anybody in Dream theater (but ESPECIALLY Mike Portnoy) do that just about any other metal musician can't? I'm not saying that they are talentless, just that they all recieve more praise than they are worth. They are generic, predictable, and passionless.
Most people actually don't realize what Dream Theater DID with "Images And Words". They practically created "progressive metal" (even though progressive metal bands were there since the 80s, the genre didn't exist), and they opened the eyes of the average metaller back then, to progressive rock. And strictly musically speaking, this album was unbelievably unique and progressive back then. It was something extremely new, innovative and fresh for metal, a time when "non growl" metal was mostly poor (except doom). And their discography until "Scenes From A Memory" contains some of my favourite albums, brilliant material.

Idunnonuten said:
What good riffs they used to have (admitting that I've heard some some decent old DT songs) have now turned into down tuned nu-metal.
I kinda agree with that. Not nu-metal though..mostly Pantera influenced

Idunnonuten said:
Guys that deserve their degree of praise include Chuck Schuldiner (guitars), Alex Webster (bass), Karl Sanders/ Dallas Toller-Wade (guitars), Dan Briggs (bass), Flo Mounier (drums), Inferno (drums), and any vocalist that ever did anything for anyone ever.
Chuck was a HUGE D.T. fan you know...
There are lots of musicians that don't get the praise they deserve..that doesn't cut any value from D.T.

Idunnonuten said:
Can somebody give me an example of something any of them can do that i haven't already heard, or that incorporates something other than a riff that's just a portal for another solo? Or feel free to give more examples of musicians that rape DT's talent (it shouldn't be too difficult).
What i told you before. Plus Dream Theater was the first metal band to mix metal, jazz/fusion, progressive rock, psychedelia etc etc etc in a HUGE degree.

MasterOLightning said:
I also don't think Dream Theater is nearly as emotionless as many people make them out to be. They have a fairly diverse range of feeling in their songs, and they've written some very good ballads over the years.
D.T. were 100% emotional..damn they wrote "Space Dye Vest" and "Change Of Seasons" !@@!!!!!

Idunnonuten said:
Please don't just bitch and call me stupid, show a little bit of self dignity.
Enjoy ladies and gents, for I know you will.

*Have fun:)

Why are you afraid of being flamed? You are right, afterall.:erk:

the only people who like dream theater are pasty white computer programers and/or people in their 40s, so you're instantly cool for not liking them man

I agree with the OP. Dream Theatre are easily one of the most overrated bands in metal these days. Yes, they are talented musicians, but there are many other bands out there that are equally, if not more talented.

What i told you before. Plus Dream Theater was the first metal band to mix metal, jazz/fusion, progressive rock, psychedelia etc etc etc in a HUGE degree.
I don't know about that, I'll have to look into it but you may be right.

Most people actually don't realize what Dream Theater DID with "Images And Words". They practically created "progressive metal" (even though progressive metal bands were there since the 80s, the genre didn't exist), and they opened the eyes of the average metaller back then, to progressive rock. And strictly musically speaking, this album was unbelievably unique and progressive back then. It was something extremely new, innovative and fresh for metal, a time when "non growl" metal was mostly poor (except doom). And their discography until "Scenes From A Memory" contains some of my favourite albums, brilliant material.

And I agree that their earlier stuff is somewhat impressive, still not what i'm into but immpressive nonetheless. I'm not trying to convince people to quit listening to them, just see that they're not th emost amazing musicians ever as they are often hailed to be.

Lyle said:
the only people who like dream theater are pasty white computer programers and/or people in their 40s, so you're instantly cool for not liking them man
This is moreso along my lines of thinking. In my mind DT is associated with guys like Dream Evil and Stratovarius (if that's spelt right). Just a bunch power metal computer kids, or dungeons and dragons middle aged guys.

Idunnonuten said:
I'm not trying to convince people to quit listening to them, just see that they're not th emost amazing musicians ever as they are often hailed to be.
They are some of the most amazing metal musicians ever actually, even if you take the "technique factor" out of their abilities. As i said before, what they did back then was a musical miracle.

This is an interesting thread so let me put in my 2 cents. One of my REALLY good friends has an abnormal obsession with dream theater. He gets their solo albums and listens to them allll the time. Me having 20 gigs of pure metal on my ipod, im trying to get him to open up his taste but he refuses to get into anything but dream theater. He came to the inflames, trivium concert and the slipknot concert with me but he wont get into it all that much. He says you have to be a guitar player to understand the talent that rests in them...i honestly really dislike their stuff. Its quite annoying to hear him sing and to hear guitar not calm down.... any suggestions? please respond i posted to get opinions from musicians...not biased retards.

InsaneGrosvenor said:
This is an interesting thread so let me put in my 2 cents. One of my REALLY good friends has an abnormal obsession with dream theater. He gets their solo albums and listens to them allll the time. Me having 20 gigs of pure metal on my ipod, im trying to get him to open up his taste but he refuses to get into anything but dream theater. He came to the inflames, trivium concert and the slipknot concert with me but he wont get into it all that much. He says you have to be a guitar player to understand the talent that rests in them...i honestly really dislike their stuff. Its quite annoying to hear him sing and to hear guitar not calm down.... any suggestions? please respond i posted to get opinions from musicians...not biased retards.
Haha...He's right in choosing DT over In Flames, Trivium, and Slipknot.

I will admit to being a Dream Theater fan... it's something I of course laugh at myself regularly about, for the reason that they are lame and cheesy and overrated.

Yes, they are all very good at what they do, but I do find that they don't use their ability to it's full potential. I would much rather see someone with less technical ability play something really powerful and stirring than see someone have a musical wank session. There is a difference between the value of straight out technical proficiency and artistry.

They obviously have passion for what they are doing and writing, but I don't think they really know how to use it. It's like they try too hard, that's why Awake and Images and Words are probably my favourite albums because they are a lot more natural than pretty much everything that followed.

Just to irriterate, yes they are overated but yes I still like them from the pit of my nerdy heart.

There is a difference between the value of straight out technical proficiency and artistry.
Haha...He's right in choosing DT over In Flames, Trivium, and Slipknot.
I'd take badly used talent over... well shit (referring to slipknot especially)
Try by easing him into it. Start with some guys that are more heavy, but still progressive. I might suggest someone like Insomnium, Opeth, In Flames may have been a good idea, Subterranean Masquerade, Dark Tranquility, or Soilwork. After he bites, reel him in with some heavire stuff, Amon Amarth, Black Dahlia Murder, Between the Buried and Me, Necrophagist, etc. That seems like a pretty good progression.
You might try it too. Stay away from that other shit some call metal.

Im not going to call any of the bands you guys listed "shit" because everyone has preferences and Idunnonuten clearly has no idea. He liked in flames and soilwork and he claims he likes heavier stuff like between the buried and me and remembering never but if you get in his car..all he has is dream theater and solo albums of patrucci...its gotten the point where i cant ride with him anymore.
I dont understand why you would call in flames, trivium, and slipknot shit???? i really dont

Or perhaps he just wants to listen to what he wants and you should find a new friend that likes the music you do... it shouldn't be hard. *Hint* - You'll find them in large groups at most malls trying to look tough.

I really like DT went to see them in october really great show.
I find it enjoyable to listen to their music and thats why I listen to it.

Idunnonuten said:
This is moreso along my lines of thinking. In my mind DT is associated with guys like Dream Evil and Stratovarius (if that's spelt right). Just a bunch power metal computer kids, or dungeons and dragons middle aged guys.

Rule number one for "If You Want To Get Taken Seriously In An Internet Community":

1. DO NOT USE BLAZING (AND TOTALLY LOADED) GENERALIZATIONS