Drugs and Music

Cutter

Fuck consensus reality
Dec 19, 2001
Sydney
Visit site
some of the other 'music genre' posts got me thinking about drugs and music, and how the two combine. We all know that most of the best music out there was written by folks who where high on something or the other. But what about music which requires you to be high to truly appreciate it?. For instance hard house or DnB generally sounds alot better if your speeding or E'ing, while not much beats smoking a J while listening to some 'stoner' rock or acoustic prog stuff. Ideally, sitting out on the verandah on a stormy afternoon. Then, of course, I'm betting that the guys from Katatonia or even Tool where at least partial to heroins effects while writing their stuff. I mean, that's at least where the sounds derived from. What is it about drugs and music that just seem to fit together? But thats not to say that all drugs go with all music. In my younger years, I went to a Slipknot concert while on E, and it was probably the worst concert experience of my life... and it wasn't because Slipknot suck or whatever...it was cause the mood generated by both influences ie Slipknot and E, are completely different. Ahh..the ignorance of my youth.

Anyone got any good/bad music and drug experiences?

Originally posted by IanDork107
Drugs are for losers. The best musicians produce genius music without drug usage.

So your saying that the Beatles where bollocks? Oh, and Jimmie Hendrix must be crap as well... Sorry to enlighten you, but a fair majority of music is written by people on something or other.

Let me say it another way. Billy Ray Cyrus, Michael Bolton - probably as clean as whistle's.

Originally posted by Cutter
So your saying that the Beatles where bollocks? Oh, and Jimmie Hendrix must be crap as well... Sorry to enlighten you, but a fair majority of music is written by people on something or other.

In my humble opinion, the Beatles are overrated and can go to hell, as can Hendrix. He's not saying that no good musicians use drugs (take the REAL best band of the 60's...the Velvet Underground, amongst countless others who use drugs). He's just saying that, in his opinion, the best avoid such things.

Originally posted by taxslave
Yeah...just look what drugs did for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin and Keith Moon and John Bonham and Jim Morrison and...well you get my point.

Yes, but I'm not talking about whether drugs kills you, or fucks your life or any of that bullshit. Thats for a different forum. I'm talking about the music...just the influence drugs has on music.

To answer the original post, I think that drugs might help the creative process that fuels music for SOME people, but the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

The Beatles don't "owe" their music to drugs, nor does Hendrix (who was a genius and is ABOVE REPROACH), nor do The Doors, or anyone else. Drugs are not a means to an end, they're an indulgence; a distraction - and I think the musicians who have found inspiration under the influence found it in those moments of distraction.

I think we all know that drugs can only help music in the most peripheral of ways. Mikael Aekerfeldt obviously does - he's already stated that his only vices are booze and smokes. Not that those are good for you, but there is one more example of an amazing musician whose compositions are not influenced by drugs.

I don't personally have anything against drugs, but I think the idea that their recreational use somehow "helps" people do/experience things is awfully silly.

Originally posted by taxslave
Yeah...just look what drugs did for Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin and Keith Moon and John Bonham and Jim Morrison and...well you get my point.

Yes, but I'm not talking about whether drugs kills you, or fucks your life or any of that bullshit. Thats for a different forum. I'm talking about the music...just the influence drugs has on music.

Originally posted by Cutter

Anyone got any good Opeth / drug experiences?

I was on speed during the Montreal show and it's definitely part of why it was so awesome...:D

Drugs are for losers???I see you've been brainwashed too!:lol:
It's all a matter of being responsible with it. Most people think of drugs as illegal substances but hey, alcohol and cigarettes are drugs and are (apart from heroin perhaps) the ones that get you the most hooked and that can really fuck up your health. But 'cause it's legal, it's socially acceptable...that's how stupid people are. A guy who smokes joints is a tramp but one who drinks like a pig is funny...What's worst in reality? Being stoned after 3 joints or being wasted, unable to walk, talk or move after a 12 pack (maybe I'm exaggerating a bit...). Moral to the story is illegal does not mean bad. If the government don't want me to use it, who fucking cares, I say fuck these bastards...

It's a fact you can't deny that drugs make music so much better. I find that when you're sober you can listen to music but when you're stoned you can EXPERIENCE it...which is much better! Anyone who has listened to Pink Floyd on mushrooms, LSD or acid must know what I mean.

To me, I believe you can really learn from psychedelics like those I named above, ecstacy, speed, etc. if used properly and not abused because it's another fact that drugs can expand your mind and make you see things in ways you could'nt have thought out before. It opens the doors of perceptions and so can help you develop a better critical judgement.

So yah! What's wrong with drugs? What's wrong with me liking to smoke some hits and shred my guitar for hours...hehehe

End of the pro-drugs post.

Originally posted by Nugent Goes AOL
In my humble opinion, the Beatles are overrated and can go to hell, as can Hendrix.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man oh man! Can you repeat that? You have shitty musical tastes that's for sure...At least show a minimum of respect to these pioneers! YOU'LL go to hell

PiercedFromWithin made some pretty good points int hat post. I am neither Pro nor Against drugs. I smoke pot sometimes and that is the extent of my "drug usage" and I find that it greatly enhances my musical creativity and observation. Whatever floats your boat.

Originally posted by frayededges

I think we all know that drugs can only help music in the most peripheral of ways. Mikael Aekerfeldt obviously does - he's already stated that his only vices are booze and smokes. Not that those are good for you, but there is one more example of an amazing musician whose compositions are not influenced by drugs.

shit...your telling me Akerfeldt wouldn't toke a blunt if offered? No way...this I doubt.

As far as I'm concerned, whether you smoke cigarettes, drink beer, boot hammer...its all drugs. Just different types of drugs. Some taxable, some not and therefore illegal. Enough booze can get you seein' shit don't worry, but you probably won't have the sense to write any of it down.

Originally posted by Morningrise
PiercedFromWithin made some pretty good points int hat post. I am neither Pro nor Against drugs. I smoke pot sometimes and that is the extent of my "drug usage" and I find that it greatly enhances my musical creativity and observation. Whatever floats your boat.

Well said, this is my general outlook and behaviour also.

Originally posted by PiercedFromWithin
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Man oh man! Can you repeat that? You have shitty musical tastes that's for sure...At least show a minimum of respect to these pioneers! YOU'LL go to hell

Of course I respect them...I own 5 beatles albums and 2 Hendrix ones. Lennon and McCartney are fantastic songwriters, I really dig some of their tunes. Harrison had his moments as well. And Hendrix is a brilliant player, I know...

I just personally get a little sick of putting musicians like them on such a high fucking pedestal. They were great, but there were so many others that were just as great or greater who tend to drop into the annals of history. And this is the way music and art will always be.

I just had a pissed off reaction, I suppose...but don't get me wrong, I do respect 'em.

I hate weed. Its terrible and makes me feel completely shit. It makes me feel I don't have a proper handle on what I do or say, just sit there looking stupid saying...'Oooh fuck I'm stoned man' every now and then...too wasted to get involved in discussion, too worried about the fact I'm stoned to do anything constructive or have fun. Too busy thinking 'fuck if we go into public people will know I'm stoned, ahhh fuck I wish I was sober'.

On the OTHER hand. Weed, to me, has TWO good points.

1. Food tastes sooooo good when your wasted, oh man.
2. Music sounds really really amazing wasted.

I remember when once I got completely wasted with my friends, I was having a shit time as usual, so I told everyone I was going home. Anyways, I walked down to the waterfront instead, popped Morningrise in my discman and sat by the water listening.

Oh man...amazing. The music was fantastic. All of the textures, the colours, the tones, the scope, everything sounded better about it. I suddenly realised how amazing this music was. It ruled.

However, the beauty of food and music is NOT enough to make me take up weed again. Too many bad points outweighing the good. :(

Mikael doesn't do drugs (aside from cigarettes and alcohol). The weed is the Martins' department.

Also, drugs have different effects on different people, and more than not I've had people that I've known come off the worse because of them (since they are inherently addictive, no matter how much you try to minimalize your usage).

I've never tried dabbling in the shit so personally I wouldn't know how it affects my creativity. But I think if you need drugs to compose good music, then you must suck anyway because that's really overriding the concept of 'talent'. When you're high certain things also seem to sound good, as where if you weren't they'd sound like shit... take Hendrix towards the end... his music was complete bollocks, but he got orgasms out of it every time.

But hey, as was said, whatever floats your boat.

BTW, frayededges said some very dead-on things in his posts.

After all, there is no formula that can be applied to making music, or any other art for that matter. I imagine drugs can help some musicians with their creation, and likewise, for others such things are completely unecessary.