Drugs and Music

Nancy Reagan would be so proud!

Sometimes I can achieve a weed-like eyes-closed-trip-out state on my own, sometimes I need weed for that. Sometimes Mushrooms, sometimes Hawaiian Baby Woodrose Seeds.

drugs do go hand-in-hand with music. If not in conception, then in execution certainly. Sometimes it's a positive thing, and in many cases it's a negative thing. Mind you - you don't really hear about it until it's become negative.

Originally posted by Morningrise
Those who say they ..... don't want to take drugs and write music because they feel it won't be them writing the music, instead it will be the drugs is wrong.

......you do things you wouldn't have done before.
thankyou for confirming exactly what I said :p

Originally posted by -=Metalas=-

And, E, hmmm... it fucks up my privats. After a new years party and taking a pill, I couldn't get it up...!!! :eek: So there... like... totaly NOTHING! Haha... hmmm... I say no to drugs now... Don't want to be depressed... or... an impotent... sorry ass who can't please his girlfriend because he took a pill... :cry: haha...:lol: :lol::lol:

HA. I think its called 'zip willy'. Its like your dick wants to crawl up inside you.

Originally posted by Satori

Wake up you fools and see reality for what it actually is. Drugs have been very influential in the production of art of all kinds, and if not drugs, then similar altered states of consciousness that either come about naturally by chance or through exercise/meditation/sleep, etc. Even Led Zepplin were fucked out of their minds on booze half the time. And if you listen to real music like that of Yes and Genesis it's not hard to imagine those guys were on something (I'd be far more surprised to learn that this music was concieved while straight actually). One my heros, Kate Bush, wrote nearly all of her stuff when she was stoned on hash.

Losers? Think again you fools, hahah :lol:

Satori

this is just what I'd been trying to point out on my first post.

Originally posted by Satori
Sorry to break this to all the morons out there, but art and drugs have had a relationship for a very long time now, and this relationship isn't going to change because you make the idiotic claim that "drugs are for losers". There are an awful lot of non-losers out there who endulge in responsible recreational mind-alteration for a variety of purposes (ie. art), and in your simple-minded tirade, you completely neglect this cold fact, and that makes you look kinda ignorant (which of course, you clearly are).

Wake up you fools and see reality for what it actually is. Drugs have been very influential in the production of art of all kinds, and if not drugs, then similar altered states of consciousness that either come about naturally by chance or through exercise/meditation/sleep, etc. Even Led Zepplin were fucked out of their minds on booze half the time. And if you listen to real music like that of Yes and Genesis it's not hard to imagine those guys were on something (I'd be far more surprised to learn that this music was concieved while straight actually). One my heros, Kate Bush, wrote nearly all of her stuff when she was stoned on hash.

Losers? Think again you fools, hahah :lol:

Satori

Responsible, recreational mind altering... now there's just something there that doesn't click with me. I believe that it's impossible to 'responsibly' dabble in mind-altering drugs that can cause permanent damage to you whether you've only done them once or hundreds of times. I still see the situation as a to-each-their-own, however I really disagree that it's responsible to dabble in drugs even for artistic purposes. When drugs are brought into the context of music, creativity may soar, an artist may write what they could've never thought of... but the fact remains that when they listen to their own material when they're off their high, they would be thinking 'what the fuck?' 'how the fuck did I write that?' 'do I really want to play that live?' and in order to keep procuring their music and performing it they need to constantly consume these drugs.

I think Opeth are a great example of how someone can write creatively with no influence of drugs (only fatigue) and the fact is that people are risking their lives because their creativity is limited to consuming these life-fucking substances.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that ultimately, an artist that writes music while not on a high generally has a higher life-span, creative-span (if that's even grammatically correct. I mean it in the sense that your mind gets completely fucked after a few years of drugs) and a certain higher form of dignity and respect that you can only achieve through writing music in a clear and well thought-out state of mind.

cocaine for one is a very natural drug. it is a trigger that causes the secretion of dopamine in the brain. Dopamine is already in your body you filthy druggies.

for those of you who like drugs, heres a tip: when you mix cocaine and alcohol, they form a third substance, cocaethylene, that intensifies cocaine's effects.
only downfall is that it POSSIBLY increases the risk of sudden death. :)

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Responsible, recreational mind altering... now there's just something there that doesn't click with me. I believe that it's impossible to 'responsibly' dabble in mind-altering drugs that can cause permanent damage to you whether you've only done them once or hundreds of times. I still see the situation as a to-each-their-own, however I really disagree that it's responsible to dabble in drugs even for artistic purposes. When drugs are brought into the context of music, creativity may soar, an artist may write what they could've never thought of... but the fact remains that when they listen to their own material when they're off their high, they would be thinking 'what the fuck?' 'how the fuck did I write that?' 'do I really want to play that live?' and in order to keep procuring their music and performing it they need to constantly consume these drugs.

I think Opeth are a great example of how someone can write creatively with no influence of drugs (only fatigue) and the fact is that people are risking their lives because their creativity is limited to consuming these life-fucking substances.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that ultimately, an artist that writes music while not on a high generally has a higher life-span, creative-span (if that's even grammatically correct. I mean it in the sense that your mind gets completely fucked after a few years of drugs) and a certain higher form of dignity and respect that you can only achieve through writing music in a clear and well thought-out state of mind.

Nicely put, and I agree on alot of these points. But you can't argue that alot of great music was created while under the influence, and music today probably just wouldn't be the same without it. I mean, I'm not condoneing drug taking or not, but just displaying personal view points about the subject. Take electronic music as an example. Is it just a coincedance that the sudden rise in Ecstasy use and distribution coincides with the sudden popularity in electronic music? I mean, I think this happened roughly the same time...I could be mistaken, it could all be a media beatup?!?. You could also draw parralells to the 60s and 70s music scene and the proliferation of LSD and weed. Then, there's the 80's...crack cocaine and mostly shit music. Ha!...another coincedance. But I'm sure there are other factors involved...not just drugs.

Yeah, definately.. whenever there is a big rise in the popularity in a form of music, people really start getting into it... wanting to be part of it, trying to outdo one another and the drugs come into it. I'm not sure if ecstacy opens your mind up creatively, but it would give you the energy to dance on in a rave for hours upon hours.

As I said, to each their own. Btw, I'm a fan of Pink Floyd, Yes and King Crimson and that music is pretty damn stonery, I'm just not gonna get high to appreciate it more. Kinda reminds me what my uncle said when he played Pink Floyd to me for the first time (one of their live concerts), 'listen to those melodies, you may be thinking what the fuck right now but if you were high you'd be soaring' haha and that's true enough I suppose.

Hey Moonlapse, nice reply, mateur and insightful. There are few things which I feel you have skewed reality on a bit however, and I'll mention these things:

Originally posted by Moonlapse
Responsible, recreational mind altering... now there's just something there that doesn't click with me.

Why? Here's a couple of examples:

Mr. Joeblow, who is a lawyer currently undertaking a very stressful murder case, gets home after a hard night of arguing in court and has a few hit from his bong to clear his mind and help him relax. Is this not responsible?

Dr. Bob goes out each Friday night with his coworkers to a local pub where they eat nachos and have a few glasses of wine (which alters their consciousness far more intensely than lawyer Joeblow's bong indulgence btw), and then they all take cabs home. How is that not responsible?

Please help me to understand your point of view on this.

I believe that it's impossible to 'responsibly' dabble in mind-altering drugs that can cause permanent damage to you whether you've only done them once or hundreds of times.

There are a few things wrong with this statement. First of all, we aren't ONLY talking about drugs which can cause detectable permanet damage in moderation, we are talking about ALL drugs, the vast majority of which (even the harder drugs) are not known to cause permanent damage after moderate use, much less doing them one time.

I'm only aware of one drug that can cause permanent damage after one time, and it's LSD, and it only causes this "damage" if the person has some mental problems to begin with (like schizophrenia, the disorder can be induced by lsd).

But we aren't talking about LSD exclusively here, we are talking about all recreational drugs.

I still see the situation as a to-each-their-own, however I really disagree that it's responsible to dabble in drugs even for artistic purposes.

Whether it's done for artistic purposes, or to simply relax and enjoy life (like in the 2 examples I gave above), as long as it's done responsibly and the person isn't binging and getting stoned or drunk out of their minds to the point where they can't function well enough to take responsibility for themselves, then I fail to see how this is irresponsible (because it doesn't lead to irresponsible behaviour).

When drugs are brought into the context of music, creativity may soar, an artist may write what they could've never thought of...

Yep, that's exactly what happens.

but the fact remains that when they listen to their own material when they're off their high, they would be thinking 'what the fuck?' 'how the fuck did I write that?' 'do I really want to play that live?'

Perhaps some things they write while altered would fit your generalization, but certainly not all. Floyd, Kate Bush, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, The Beetles, and I'm absolutely sure that Yes, Gentle Giant, and Genesis certainly answered "Yes" to your last question there.

and in order to keep procuring their music and performing it they need to constantly consume these drugs.

I don't know where you got this idea from or how you came to this conclusion, so I don't think I need to counter it because it doesn't hold up under it's own weight. I will say this however, Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, and Pink Floyd, just a few bands who went clean and are still making music after not only using drugs moderately and responsible, but being addicted to very harsh ones for many many years (worst case scenario).

I think Opeth are a great example of how someone can write creatively with no influence of drugs (only fatigue)

Opeth are a great example, just one example of countless many opposing examples.

and the fact is that people are risking their lives because their creativity is limited to consuming these life-fucking substances.

I'm not aware of anyone who risks their live to be musically creative. In the case of those musicians who become horribly addicted to harsh drugs like coke, heroin, and alcohol, they are no longer doing it to be creative, they are doing it cuz they have a *problem*. This is not the same as someone having a drink or a toke in order to falicitate in writing music.

I think what I'm trying to get at is that ultimately, an artist that writes music while not on a high generally has a higher life-span, creative-span (if that's even grammatically correct.

Those who moderately use the softer drugs out there do not have their life-spans shortened, this only happens if they become hopelessly addicted. I feel you are NOT making the distinction between using drugs responsibly and being a slave to them. Paul McCartney or the Martins smoking a joint is not the same as Kurt Cobain being a heroin addict, there's a world of difference there that you are not taking into account in your sweeping generalizations. In the former case, the people are in control, in the latter, he was being controlled by the drug.

As for the creative-span, I see what you are saying, but I feel it's more because of this: some people write really good music while altered on something (ie. pot), music they would normally never come up with all on their own without the aid of the mind-alteration. Their creativity is invoked by that state of mind, so when they get older and stop doing drugs to write, they can't write interesting or spacy music like they once did. Look at if from the other angle however, if they never did the drug that makes them creative in the first place, would they even have had a career at all? Would we even know they exist?

The thing is, pretty much all song writers (and artists, literature writers, comedians, etc.) get crappy and run out of ideas eventually as they get older, whether they did any drugs or not. That phenomenon isn't limited to those artists who endulge to unlock their creativity.

I mean it in the sense that your mind gets completely fucked after a few years of drugs)

Some drugs? Maybe, but not certainly. I know a few people who have done obscene amounts of hard drugs and alcohol for their entire lives and they are as sharp now as when they were younger. But with all drugs (ie. pot)? Not a chance. I've been recreationally endulging in pot a few times a week for 16 years, as well as taking the occassional hard drug and having a "trip" (though I no longer do any hard drugs) and I know I'm actually much smarter than I used to be when I was a teenager, my memory is better now, I can read and comprehend things much better, and I can understand complex things far more easily. On top of all that, I have a job that involves me dealing with tedious and mind-bending things which most people are simply too unintelligent to be able to do effectively (I actually got my current job by replacing a guy who had a master's degree in math). Also, I'm not the only example of someone who's mind wasn't fucked by a few years of taking drugs, the vast majority of people who endulge responsibly and moderately also fall into this category. Therefore, your statement simply doesn't hold true for most cases and most people, it's only true of a small few who get hooked on something like herion or booze and it ends up destroying their life and frying their brains.

and a certain higher form of dignity and respect that you can only achieve through writing music in a clear and well thought-out state of mind.

If you go through your CD collection it will be impossible for you to tell (by the music alone) which albums or songs were written or inspired under the influence of a drug, and which were not. Therefore, how are you going to assign a certain level of "dignity and respect" to a piece of music based on a piece of information which isn't available to you? You can't. You can only judge the music by how it makes you feel and how much you like it, and that's where the real respect comes from, not the supposed state of mind of the writer when he/she wrote it.

Everything you've said has a basis in reality, but you are looking at it from a very narrow perspective. Like most things, there are good AND bad aspects to drugs, and you are obviously just looking at the bad and completely neglecting the good (in this case, the good is the creativity factor). Perhaps this is because you were raised with the "drugs are inherently bad" mindset and this has become so engrained in your way of thinking that you cannot think outside the box and realize that it's only one perspective of many, and one that doesn't necessarily hold true in all cases. For every Kurt Cobain or Aerosmith there's probably 10 Kate Bushes or Pink Floyds, artists who use a given drug responsibly and who artistically benefit from it. You just don't hear about these ones because they don't end up passed out in hotel rooms or dead, what you do hear is when someone dies of an overdose or becomes braindead or something, but this is the exception, not the norm, not by a long shot.

Satori

Myopinion concearning music and drugs... well, music is a form of art and you can use your mind either tripping on plain, raw adrelaline/creativity or tripping on some type of foreign substance to draw those parts of your concious or subconcious to create it. I, personally, have never done any type of drugs. I guess I'm too young (almost 15) to have, though there are ample oppurtunities to. I live near Westminster, MD and that is about as infamous for its heroin as Baltimore, MD is for its crime. And, to anyone esle from MD, that'll mean something. Though I don't count experimenting w/drugs out of my future. You only live once and I live for art, so whatever I can use to enhance the experience of creating or experiencing, I can only see as being done for good.

Woah, another monster post, haha.

Everything you've said has a basis in reality, but you are looking at it from a very narrow perspective. Like most things, there are good AND bad aspects to drugs, and you are obviously just looking at the bad and completely neglecting the good (in this case, the good is the creativity factor). Perhaps this is because you were raised with the "drugs are inherently bad" mindset and this has become so engrained in your way of thinking that you cannot think outside the box and realize that it's only one perspective of many, and one that doesn't necessarily hold true in all cases. For every Kurt Cobain or Aerosmith there's probably 10 Kate Bushes or Pink Floyds, artists who use a given drug responsibly and who artistically benefit from it. You just don't hear about these ones because they don't end up passed out in hotel rooms or dead, what you do hear is when someone dies of an overdose or becomes braindead or something, but this is the exception, not the norm, not by a long shot.

Well no, in fact I was raised with no very strong beliefs pushed on me, about many issues. Religion wasn't forced on me, my parent's fears and insecurities... I formed this opinion about drugs from my experience in seeing my friends dabble with them. I used to know a girl really well and she dabbled in drugs ocasionally (about every weekend I think), mainly Pot I think. She told me that she quit out of seeing what it did to HER friends, but says the damage is still done... she believes (this is what SHE told ME) that it's because of all the Pot intake she is unable to work at mathematics at a very basic level (we're in year 11 now and she hasn't taken up one math-oriented subject) and her mind isn't as sharp as it used to be (which seems to be a contrast to what you're saying about your own experiences with the drug).

Also there was an experience I heard of with someone's first try of Pot. She got completely 'fucked' as the term goes and went unconscious (or in a coma, I'm unsure) and when she finally woke, she was diagnosed with schizophrenia. This was one of my teachers that told me this (apparently she was there at the time, when she was younger). This just shows how different people react differently to drugs, and where in your case it may have been beneficial, for alot it wasn't (and there are people I know that detest taking Pot after their first try, they just hate what it does to them) so in the end I suppose it's to-each-their-own.

Also I don't like to think that I'm looking at it from a narrow perspective.. I'm basing everything I say on what I've heard from people around me (numerous people... friends, teachers etc.) and from all I've heard the majority of it gave me quite a negative disposition toward drugs, but I'm still open and willing to accept what you say and consider it.

I understand that there is a line where 'ocassional' use crosses over into 'obsession', but I still think to alot of people, the ocassional use is still doing damage (like that girl that openly admitted it to me) and if they risk the will power, that ocassional use can easly cross over into addiction (like another friend of mine who ended up looking for weed in games of CS, that's how desperate... and he eventually dropped out of school... he was, and still is infact, a complete mess).

EDIT: I also don't think I'm twisting reality any... I just think my viewpoint is conflicting with yours in some instances (they are both relative, so who's to say who's twisting reality).

Originally posted by KielbasaSausage
try posting something unrelated to opeth in the off topic section next time...
If you were to pay attention, the Off Topic forum clearly states that it is for non-Opeth AND non-music related topics, so obviously anything that deals with music(which this thread does) is supposed to be in this forum. Learn to read

dickhead :p