DT Forum Members - Avatars

Do you want DT forum-members' avatars on one page?

• Yes, hosting DT forum-members' avatars on one page is a good idea!

Votes: 23 88.5%
  • No, hosting DT forum-members' avatars on one page sucks!

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Siren

Dec 6, 2001
Seeing Mark's new announcement about avatars (here it is) and how avatars will have to be hosted on external webspace, there was a thought of hosting DT forum-members' avatars on one page, for members' convenience.

Salmy of course was kind enough to offer to take care of it, but your help is needed too:

We need to find a a free site that lets images be linked from outside sites. It doesn't have to be very big, something like 6-10 MB should be fine, as Salmy said. And also, if it does have adds, it's better if they are pop-ups than on the pages :)

We very much appreciate your help, thanks :)

Please help her! I'm ready to do anything to get avatars back. I can't tell anybody apart anymore, this is getting on my nerves.

Nope, has to be in english, I will be the hostie still I just need to find a site that lets link to it's image, since I can't remember which ones allowed that.
I am looking into it tho.

I think I may have found one. Be back later with more info, suggestions still wanted tho, just incase.

Originally posted by saturnix
tripod.ca allows external linking, with 12mb, although you might eat up your bandwidth pretty damn fast.

Yep, thats one concern, I think I will get a paid site, I know one that is fairly cheap, but can't remember the address now, I will check it tomorrow at work. This is the same site I was going to host the DT Member Picutres page anyway, so I have to check them anyway.

Originally posted by rahvin
just like saturnix said. bandwidth is the issue here. anyone willing to host my avatar has to be prepared to spend quite a lot of it. ;)

rahvin.

Well, I found a free host that has 20MB of space and unlimited bandwidth, it has a banner, but who cares, since you won't be looking at the page more than once, to find out the addy for your AV, I will let you know soon if it works as wanted.

avsalamurhaaja.jpg

This is my new avatar, if it displays, then you can start mailing me avatars at the addy in my signature. Make sure they are 100x100 pixels or I will resize them to that (I won't be responsible how they look then) and also make sure when you mail me to put AV: *your nick* in the subject field, so I know what it is right away.

Yes, it looks sucky and will possibly stay that way for a long time, but it works, thats the main thing.

Also, either PM me or reply here when you have send an AV for a faster reaction.

i just sent you my avvy. your new avatar is visible in the reply window (not under the nickname, if that's what you mean).

thanks for hosting this, salmy, you really are our hero of the month! :headbang: :)

rahvin.

Originally posted by rahvin
i just sent you my avvy. your new avatar is visible in the reply window (not under the nickname, if that's what you mean).

thanks for hosting this, salmy, you really are our hero of the month! :headbang: :)

rahvin.

Thank you, thank you *bows*
Yes, I meant in the reply window, can't add them as AV's until friday, so I will upload all the AV's I receive on thursday, so don't worry if you don't see it on the page until then.

Hooray! :D

I'll send mine asap, i'm just bored to fix it :p

Oh, and i don't think it has to look nice or smt, just to be working :)

Cool idea Siren! and many thanks to Salamurhaaja (sp?? :p)
i will send mine when i manage to persuade myself to be less lazy... :rolleyes:

~lazybones~

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but the posted picture for the website does not show up anymore... :cry:

The good news (maybe) is I found a site that allows remote hosting (from what I've heard). It's here:
http://www.marhost.com/

As for me, I am going to have a small blinking image in my signature, so to not eat up the bandwidth on any large shared avatar hosting places, it will be hosted on my private Neopets guild.

If the original hosting site runs out of storage space, you can PM me for my e-mail address and send your avatar my way...
but do so at your own risk... :p only 250 KB of images is allowed in the guild (it still helps... a bit) and also Neopets crashes occasionally which will result in a blank image for a while...

Oh yeah, I'm also a lazy, undisciplined vampire bat... :D