• Punish My Heaven

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Villain

Doctor BenQuillity
May 7, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Okay, I rolled my dice and the above 20 songs were chosen for the first round of the Dark Tranquillity Song Survivor. There are a total of 2 songs from the Trail of Life Decayed -demo, 1 song from A Moonclad Reflection, 2 songs from Skydancer, 3 songs from The Gallery, 3 songs from The Mind's I, 3 songs from Projector, 3 songs from Haven, 2 songs from Damage Done and 1 unreleased live-song (those who don't have Misery in Me, contact Ormir). So all in all, if we ignore the heavy emphasis on the pre-Skydancer era material, the spread was pretty even - there are only two songs from DD and Skydancer, but all the other albums got three songs each. No songs from the MCDs though.

The rules for this poll are as follows:

1. NO CHEATING! Horrendous curses will be cast on anyone trying to diminish the seriousness of this poll. :mad:
2. Vote for one song per round and write a short argument here on this thread about why you chose the song you chose. Note that you are supposed to vote for the song you like the least, ie. do not vote for your favorite song here. ;)
3. The votes will be counted after a week or so and thus you have plenty of time to make your mind. Each round the song with the most votes will be voted out and the poll for the next round will be made without that particular song. In the case that there are two or more songs with equal amount of votes and it is NOT the last round of the poll, all those songs with the most votes will be left out from the next round.
4. Have enough common sense if I forgot to mention something and figure it out by yourself.
5. Have fun. Smile. :D

What do you think, should I post the other polls here as well, so that we could vote there (semi-)simultaneously with this one? That might confuse someone a bit, but if we attempt to pull this all through before the DT-FAQ is online (= ie. within a couple of decades), we might need to do it...

-Villain (tired as hell)

Before my mailbox gets filled with PM's, here are the three unreleased live tracks that will be included in the survivor:

Soulbreed
Misery in Me
The Dying Fragment of an Elderly Dream

As for the song I choose off...
It has to be one of the demo tracks. I have a soft spot for Midwinter/Beyond Enlightenment, and the lyrics are pretty good. Anders also sounds much bettter than on Skydancer. Yesterword is actually quiet good, and the production doesn't make my ears bleed. Void of Tranquillity I don't find that interesting, even though the dark tranquillity name derives from it (the song ends in the sun exploding, and all that would remain would be a dark tranquillity).

Void of Tranquillity.

Originally posted by Ormir
It has to be one of the demo tracks. I have a soft spot for Midwinter/Beyond Enlightenment, and the lyrics are pretty good. Anders also sounds much bettter than on Skydancer. Yesterword is actually quiet good, and the production doesn't make my ears bleed. Void of Tranquillity I don't find that interesting, even though the dark tranquillity name derives from it (the song ends in the sun exploding, and all that would remain would be a dark tranquillity).

Void of Tranquillity.

Strange, for I find the Void of Tranquillity definitely the most interesting song of all pre-Skydancer material. To me it's a question between Beyond Enlightenment and Yesterworld, and I think BE is losing right now (although Midwinter is a good intro).

At first I was tempted to vote for Misery in Me, but after a couple of listens, I actually find it quite okay.

Hmm...

Beyond Enlightenment it shall be. Sorry Midwinter.

-Villain

I find the demo songs quite interesting.
There's something special with them.
So unstructured and filled with chaos. Still I don't like the music as much as the cds...i'm confused

I need to think about this one.

I went with Cathode Ray Sunshine. Really awesome song and I like the guitars. But this was a hard nut to crack!

Damn, I forgott to read the rules, shit man, sorry for that!
Is their another chance for me?
Really sorry

I thought I was seeing double because of my hangover at first :err:

@Villain: Taste is a strange thing. But Midwinter alone redeemes Beyond Enlightenment. And Misery in Me is great, should have gone on Projector instead of Auction imo (if I had to make the choice between them).

@johan: The lyrics aren't available anywhere as far as I know.

@seventi: One Brooding Warning? But the guitar intro is one of the greatest DT moments!

hi there. i voted for midwinter , as i think it has some poor sound quality on the whole. and the other contenders are all great!i thought for a second that i should vote for atom heart ,as its the weakest on the mindsi (imo),but still better from the demo songs .

after submiting the vote i was taken to a blank page ,and had to push the back button after all.i hope i did this right enough to be counted.

Seventi: There's no way to change it this round, but as only one (or a few, in case they get an equal number of votes) song gets voted out - and I doubt it will be Cathode Ray Sunshine - you can vote the song you want on the next round. Thus, not a big problem here - as long as all the other people won't make the same mistake.

The_good_son141: Check if you see the text "you have already voted in this poll" at the top of the page - in case you don't, your vote isn't counted, as far as I know. There should be no way to vote several times, unless you login with different username - which is not allowed!

-Villain

@seventi (and everybody else): yes, there is a way to change your vote. that way is your favourite moderator. but don't contact niklas, tell it to me instead. ;)

i already changed seventi's vote according to his will (the one brooding warning instead of cathode ray sunshine) and i'll gladly correct any other mistake. just one thing: i'd say it's better if you're not allowed to change your vote "strategically" after you see how all other votes are going, so just report to me if you didn't notice the fact this are vote-off polls, or forgot.

as for my small, humble self, i voted for freecard. it was a tough choice since many songs i really love are in this poll and i wouldn't want to contribute to take out songs from the demos before time, because after all they were fresh and exceptionally interesting when they came out, and i think they deserve more praise. on the other hand, i consider freecard the worst song on projector and a wish-wash therein to boot, so i guess i'll vote this one until it's thrown out. ;) the others are definitely better.

rahvin.

Instrumentals are nice when they appear as outros, intros or interludes on an album and best of them could possibly even rival some real songs but not this one. So goodbye The Mind's Eye.

Because I´m idiot and I have´nt even heard any demos, I decided to vote The Same.. it´s quite funny because lyrics are quite good and it has most beatiful keys but somehow it´s too boring..

@Villain: Ok, sorry for the mix up anyway

Rahvin: Thanx for changing my vote, I keep it clean next time :D

Ormir: I really like many of DT's song, but I'm not THAT into them, that I can specify a unique song by a drum/guitar solo/riff. So, I went with "The one brooding warning" coz it is my LEAST favorite on The Gallery and many of the songs on this list are ones I haven't heard before.