Edge Of Sanity - Crimson

I first ran across Crimson by reading a review of it that had the first 15 minutes available as a sample. I listened to those first 15 minutes soooo fucking much as I was waiting to get a copy. Because of that, the first 15 minutes are also so much more familiar by comparison that the rest of the album after that always feels fresh and new.

cenzu said:
hmmm...

3 reasons why Crimson rules,

1.Everytime you listen to it you find some new things about, nice details or something.
2.The song is an Epic! You really can't drop your guard while listening to it.
3.It's one of Dan's works! doesn't that say it all?

Well said. I agree completly. I've probably listened to the album fifty or so times since I bought it a couple weeks ago and every time I hear it find something new and cool.

I don't suppose anyone knows or can be bothered listing exactly what lines Mike sings and also where abouts his solo is in the song.. Just getting into it now and it would be cool to know

Thanks guys

Mike sings all the higher pitched black metal sounding vocal parts.

First vocal part:
[A sacrifice. A life arises, when one love has come, another dies. I let her go and I do not know where to find her soul so alone.]

First lead guitar starts after these vocals:
The time has come for the king to die.

Second vocal part:
[War! Massacre unbound. They fought for what would be a blood-stained crown. Utter chaos supreme. The sand absorbs the colour of dawn. Nevermore shall they dream, nevermore.]

Third vocal part:
[She drinks the life-blood from the feebled man. Empty bodies, soul-drained by the virgin queen. Finally given the pleasure to die. She alights the hate inside their hearts. Her chosen knights will make sure all life departs. Soon comes the end of all, she watched a chamber to fall. She heard her master call.]

Fourth vocal part:
[Liar! All those who died with you their side were denied, access to the higher ground. Betrayal! Eternal detest from the ones left unblessed, so possessed. Their last caress was your knife in their hearts. Fed from her deed, watching them bleed. In her own conceit, a world to delete, lies at her feet. Her demon inside do no longer hide. Showing its face of hate and disgrace leaving their saviour unpraised.]

Fifth vocal part:
[God?]

Cerebus said:
It sucks that you have to flip the record halway through the song though.

Just imagine it's 2 tracks instead of one...regarding both crimsons(though the second one is 40 something tracks it's still like one single track)

actually I was joking around with Kenny the other day about a one sided Crimson record...24" vinyl(bigger than my TV) and while the other side is empty might as well put the entire crimson II on it.

they'll need special stands for the record in the store

Crimson is probably my favorite album ever, together with King Diamond's Them. Crimson II is freaking amazing as well.
I only put on both albums when I know I can hear the entire songs. I never pauzed them or put them off when the songs weren't finished yet.

Aaron A. said:
I just found out that Mikael did some work on "Crimson." Both guitar and vocals? Awesome.

I couldn't really tell, when I listened to it. =/

Great stuff, nonetheless.
I love the vocals he did for that album, those parts are so cool. I like his voice there better than in Opeth. His solo is cool too.

Crimson is certainly a masterpiece. The most focused and consistently brilliant of EoS's releases. It's strange to think that Dan has said Crimson would have sounded like Moontower if he would have had complete control...I love Moontower but thank christ for the other guys, or I'd have lost one of my favorite pieces of music.

your post with that sig is maybe a bit ironic :D

benny larsson was maybe after dan the 2nd member with most contributions, right? and he didnt have double bass :D

AnTz0r said:
your post with that sig is maybe a bit ironic :D

benny larsson was maybe after dan the 2nd member with most contributions, right? and he didnt have double bass :D
Well it's kind of a joke, haha, but I wouldn't exactly call the drumming on Crimson berserk anyway. Though he has a pretty quick foot.

Still, his drumming has always kind of bothered me, I suppose that's why. I'll never see the point of limiting yourself to a single bass drum when you're playing extreme music, it limited his range of things to do in the band (thrash beat anyone?). He was a great drummer, but he could have done a lot more.

AceRoccola said:
I love the vocals he did for that album, those parts are so cool. I like his voice there better than in Opeth. His solo is cool too.

Crimson is certainly a masterpiece. The most focused and consistently brilliant of EoS's releases. It's strange to think that Dan has said Crimson would have sounded like Moontower if he would have had complete control...I love Moontower but thank christ for the other guys, or I'd have lost one of my favorite pieces of music.

True, Moontower is great, but Crimson is the shit. Crimson II is great too but nowhere near C1 IMO. :kickass:

EoS's Crimson is SOOOO AWESOME, all 40 minutes of it go all out and keep me rocking the whole way through and Crimson II is awesome as well!!!