EPIC MELODIC DEATH SONG FOR YOU TO MIX (17 tracks, lots of layering)

Jun 26, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys, my melodeath project "Avalerion" put up its first song not too long ago and I figured you guys might want a shot at mixing it. Its a pretty long song with a good amount of layering. I figure it will be good to learn how to carve out certain frequency's to clear up room for all the other instruments. Here is some info on what was used.

Everything was run through my profire 610. The guitars and bass were also run through a countryman type 85 DI box. The vocals were done with an AKG perception 220 condenser mic. The guitar that was used is an epiphone explorer with EMG 81/85 pickups. The bass was a Shecter Stilleto Custom 4 with stock pups. Its not the tightest playing because its only a demo but it works.

The mix can be found here on the facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Avalerion/229101720436626?sk=app_178091127385

Do us a favor, if you download the stems or even just like the music, like our page. Its a simple click but it means a whole lot to us.

The stems can be found here

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2113488/STEMS.rar

Give it 45 minutes to upload and share your mixes when there done! Let me know if there are any problems with things syncing up. The tempo is 180 btw

BTW when i say epic melodeath, its not me being cocky by any means, its just the kind of melodeath that i consider it. Big choruses and orchestra. Thats just me though

There is a weird note on 1:26 that keeps coming back, what's up with that?

Also the vocals are way too low in my opinion. It really sounds like a guitarist has mixed this ;)

The crash is too far to the left in the mix, it really gives away that the drums aren't real in an unnecessary way. Some more "dirt" to the drum tracks wouldn't hurt aswell :)

Otherwise pretty decent guitar tone! And a pretty cool material :) Keep it up!

There is a weird note on 1:26 that keeps coming back, what's up with that?

Also the vocals are way too low in my opinion. It really sounds like a guitarist has mixed this ;)

The crash is too far to the left in the mix, it really gives away that the drums aren't real in an unnecessary way. Some more "dirt" to the drum tracks wouldn't hurt aswell :)

Otherwise pretty decent guitar tone! And a pretty cool material :) Keep it up!

haha thanks man. Im a guitarist at heart but I also did the vocals and mixing. I hate hearing my vocals lol. This is a demo track so i didn't put an insane amount of time into it. I just got a drummer who will be recording REAL drums for it so the next song will sound way better. Thanks for the comments though!

Are you sure it's 180bpm? The guitars aren't lining up with the grid very well.

EDIT: Actually they are. The drums are all fuckered though. There's a couple of extra kick hits in the first bar after the end of the intro that fuck the timing all up.

EDIT 2: Fixed it... delete the first quarter bar of said fucked up part and move the drum track back a quarter bar from that point.

Loving the song, will give this a shot as soon as I have some time. Thanks for sharing!

!!!!!

Awesome hearing that from you Erik, been a fan of your stuff for a long time. I can't wait to hear it

Downloading too, great song!

WIDEK! Cant wait to hear it man, im always checkin up on your youtube videos. Great shit

downloading and giving it a shot, really liking the music!

Word! Thanks Mago. I will be uploading a new song this time next week hopefully, it will be MUCH tighter and my vocals will sound better.

Sick man! I'm gonna give this an attempt this week! Thanks!

Thank you!

Sounds really good for a quick mix. Guitars sound nice and heavy, the only problem i have is I hear something in the 8khz up region. Did you high pass the guitars?

Well, here's my in-progress laptop mix: http://bit.ly/iW41qz
I couldn't very well tell what was what for cymbals, so some stuff is probably off. Something weird is going on with the bass & snare after export, too. At any rate, awesome track, roflsaurus! Thanks for the upload!

Thanks man, the vocals are a bit loud but its still a work in progress. Can't wait to hear the final product

Rough Mix

Here it is, I found this track a particular challenge, lots of layers but it was a fun track to do! I hope I've done it justice :p

On the demo on your facebook page there was a cello or similar instrument under the acoustic guitars at the beginning? I couldn't find it in the stems (Unless I was just being blind) So I just bounced the mix without it. Either way, here it is.