Epilogue vs. Orion

Epilogue vs. Orion

• Opeth - Epilogue - My Arms, Your Hearse

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Metallica - Orion - Master of Puppets

Votes: 39 58.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I told you - it's because people are checking out the thread, seeing that it's Opeth vs. Metallica, and voting against Metallica on principle. My guess is that most people on this board would rather listen to Mikael farting into a microphone then have Lars show up at their house.

It's gotta be Orion man. It has lots of different riffs, a nice middle to mellow the listener out, and the opening bass shit is awesome - along with Burton's many other leads in the song.

Epilogue just closes MAYH. It has a simple backing track which stays the same, but the lead is amazing. :hotjump:

wwallinga said:
I told you - it's because people are checking out the thread, seeing that it's Opeth vs. Metallica, and voting against Metallica on principle. My guess is that most people on this board would rather listen to Mikael farting into a microphone then have Lars show up at their house.
That's just fucking ludicrous. Don't be so naive. Just because Orion is some sort of cult-metal classic doesn't mean that we are only voting against it on principle. Anyhow, you're on an Opeth forum, we're fans for a reason; put two and two together.

Epilogue serves its purpose masterfully. It pales in contrast to the rest of MAYH individually, but when placed into the context of the album, it fullfills every purpose I could imagine an ending track to have. Orion is just Orion. Few riffs, bass guitarist forgetting that he's actually playing bass, compounded by a guitarist who's as boring now as the day he started playing on records.

I can tell you why I hate the track, the biggest reason that we've seen for people *not* voting Epilogue is the fact that it's up against Orion, so don't assume we're the ones voting on principle. If it comes to tracks in context, or comparative in a sense where we try to gauge a track's worth in what it tries to achieve, Epilogue still wins by miles IMHO. It's a simple jam track *tastefully* put at the end of an album.

Although I enjoy just about every Opeth song miles ahead of Metallica's songs, Orion wins in this case.

I see myself skipping epilogue while I listen to MAYH. It just doesn't capture my ears as most other opeth songs. It's got like one mood to it and doesn't shift around much.

On the other hand, Orion shifts from straight up thrash metal to a soft melody, then back to metal to finish it off. It's a great instrumental and I love the riffing, it pumps me up all the time.

wwallinga said:
1. Frayed Ends of Sanity is not an instrumental. To Live is To Die follows it on Justice, and it is, for all intensive purposes, an instumental.

Yeah, that's what I meant - To Live is To Die. I guess I'm just the only one who finds Orion boring and repetitive.

Epilogue wins without question in my mind. Orion, like every Metallica song, is ridiculously overated due to the bands "legendary" status during the mid and late 80's. I found an accurate tab of it and played along and was amazed at how bad it is. The boring power crunch is bad enough but the solo is fucking terrible! How can you listen to that and not see that Mikes soloing is indescribably better- 4 minute jams included.

Justin S. said:
Epilogue wins without question in my mind. Orion, like every Metallica song, is ridiculously overated due to the bands "legendary" status during the mid and late 80's. I found an accurate tab of it and played along and was amazed at how bad it is. The boring power crunch is bad enough but the solo is fucking terrible! How can you listen to that and not see that Mikes soloing is indescribably better- 4 minute jams included.

Maybe you just had a bad tab...

Agreed.

\m/ :kickass:

Luz.-

Justin S. said:

trickpony1616 said:
epilogue was not meant to break metal barriers, it was to end an album.. you're trying to compare two songs that were made with different purposes.

opeth > metallica

period
exactly!, this poll doesn't make any sense....

but my vote is for Epilogue though... Metallica is a good band nevertheless, but Opeth is miles and miles ahead, early Metallica is like a bunch of power riffs, but Opeth is more than that, the power here is based on the emotion and in the deph of their amazing riffs.

Opeth all the way. Metallica could have done some quality stuffs (and can be doing them), but they can't compare to Opeth... as simple as that.

No, by that reasoning Opeth are just generally superior songwriters. Who's to say that Orion is one of Metallica's best, as well as say Epilogue is one of Opeth's least interesting. You're getting your subjectivity mixed into what's inherently meant to be an objective statement.

bangadrian said:
why would a tab of the song change your opinion of it? easy to play doesn't = bad. maybe it's not your favorite song in the world, but from an objective point of view it is at least a decent song. regardless of the magnificent scale of influence it had over bands today. like i heard of this one band today that is pretty influenced by early metallica. i forgot their name, i think it was like... opeth or something.

Huh? I played along to it to get a better feel for what was going on because i wanted to be more fair in my judgement (just listening i was very underwhelmed...again :))

I used an accurate tab to base off, and then adjusted by ear. Wasnt impressed, sorry. But dont let me ruin a classic :tickled:.

Im my opinion "easy" generally is bad because it shows a lack of effort or imagination. "Simple" things can be good, in music this is true if there is intent... but basic riffs thrown together with little cohesion or thought is not good songwriting in my book; its a warm up session at best.

I strongly dislike Metallica so your not going to convince me of anything :D

Went for Orion because, man, this song ROCKS. The only thing I don't like is Kirk Hamster's solo. His soli are ALL the same, just some pentatonic runs... :yuk:

btw stupid thread................. i like it

Another instrumental that's been compared heavily to Orion is Stream of Conciousness by Dream Theater. It's long and is fairly heavy in parts.

And based on principle, I would not buy MoP or RTL (even though I need to replace them) because Metallica does not deserve anymore money. They could at least remaster them. Why won't they? Because the nu-metal sissies are still buying those albums like crazy, so they'll wait until the sales drop and then they'll release the remasters. Scumbags.

Metallica is drowning in their own lack of creativity and riding the wave of their previous groundbreaking work from 20 years ago. They have run out of ideas, so they were presented with the opportunity to go nu-rock.

Back when metallica was cool, many people were into them because they bucked the establishment and were a bit subversive. They represented going against the grain. Now look at them wearing their Brooks Brothers slacks and Boss dress shirts.