Euro 2004

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Is it a bit early to discuss?!? Oh well...

Group A
Portugal
Greece
Spain
Russia

Group B
France
England
Switzerland
Croatia

Group C
Sweden
Bulgaria
Denmark
Italy

Group D
Czech Rep
Latvia
Germany
Holland

What happened to Turkey then...? :loco:

Kick of June 12th. I predict England v Germany in the final.

Hmmm...our group looks alright :) I look forward to good things...not that I actually give a shit about football, unless we win :p

Well, France and Croatia are both good but I honestly think we have a good chance here. I've heard that we're even trying to coax Alan Shearer out of international retirement. Imagine that, Shearer and Owen back together up front.

"football" as in the strange European meaning, which is soocer? or "football" in the correct American meaning, which is football?

Hell yeah, Switzerland is going to wipe out France and England :headbang: :loco:
I'm really looking forward to this... Ah, the glorious days of 1996 when we played 1:1 against England...

Dreamlord said:
"football" as in the strange European meaning, which is soocer? or "football" in the correct American meaning, which is football?
Football as in the game that was being played before America was even 'discovered'. Football as in the game that you play with your feet. Football as in the game that is watched by about 2 billion people.

Not the American meaning, which is 'rugby with soft cushioned pads and helmets and the option for fat fucks to stop running every 3 seconds and then sit on the bench'.

I am teh win!!!111

:D

Shakermaker said:
I'm really looking forward to this... Ah, the glorious days of 1996 when we played 1:1 against England...
It's coming home, Footballs coming home! Remember that song? Man, Euro 96 was one of the best tournaments ever. Fuck me, England 4 Holland 1 - remember that onslaught? Shearer and Sheringham were *nearly* unstoppable.

bloodfiredeath said:
Looks like England got the group of death, eh? Against France in the opening matchup should be awesome. I'll go with Engalnd over Croatia in the finals.
I'm not sure whether it's the group of death to be honest. If you look at Sweden's group, that's pretty tough, and the teams in Group A are all quite evenly matched, except for maybe Greece.

England v France could be one of the best games of the tournament. Ahh memories of World Cup '86 in Mexico...

JayKeeley said:
Football as in the game that was being played before America was even 'discovered'. Football as in the game that you play with your feet. Football as in the game that is watched by about 2 billion people.

Not the American meaning, which is 'rugby with soft cushioned pads and helmets and the option for fat fucks to stop running every 3 seconds and then sit on the bench'.

I am teh win!!!111

:D
Oh, OK. Football as in the game for guys who can't throw. Gotcha.

True at times, yeah. Thing about world-football is that it's all about the occasion, the international affair that it is, the devout passion, the nations rivalry. The game is very theatrical. It's NEVER about goals. Some of the best games in history have ended in draws, but the display of skill will live forever.

Not to sound condescending but you really have to grow up in a country where the national sport is 'football' - it just enters your bloodstream from childhood (or you ignore it altogether, there's very little 'inbetween'). I know yanks who are passionate like that with baseball.

In last years world cup in Japan, when England had to play Brazil, all of England took the day off. They set up huge screens in national parks where people could go watch together. They estimated an economy revenue loss of $millions from that day alone. You gotta realize that people band together over 'football' like it was wartime. One 90 minute game of two halves. No ads, no commercials, no Britney Spears singing the intro, no fireworks, no 'Don King' raking in millions from sponsorship, no 'Jerry MaGuires'. Nothing American about it.

The 1994 US World Cup was the worst tournament in history. That's like hosting the Superbowl in Cairo.