How England will win the World Cup this year...

I tried to watch a few games of this, and I'm still decidedly lacking fucks to give. It's the same issue I have with team sports as a whole. Unless it's MMA, boxing, or kickboxing (Glory had some great fights Saturday night) it bores the hell out of me.

Ok. I admit to enjoying some of the german/Ghana match yesterday, after some of the rules were explained to me. I still dont understand how soccer is timed. Seems incredibly stupid.

Now watching belguim and russia, will be watching the US later. Heres a question: are flops always this prevalent in soccer?

Timing of international soccer is bizarre. I've never understood it. Watch as towards the end of a match, the team that's up by a goal will play stall ball. My personal fave is when a substitution is made and the guy leaving the pitch walks as slow as possible back to the bench. It has been said that the ref stops his clock for things like that but I don't believe it. Injury time is almost 100% arbitrary.
Contrarily, MLS actually stops the clock whenever the ball is not in play.

Now watching belguim and russia, will be watching the US later. Heres a question: are flops always this prevalent in soccer?

What Vittra said.
Diving and flops are an embarrassment to the sport and seems to have increased in prevalence over the years. I simply don't remember it being part of the pro games when I was a kid, perhaps I am just not remembering correctly.
Regardless, it should be dealt with as it is in hockey - as a penalty. Yellow cards outside of the box and a red for a dive within the box...using instant replay of course.

Sucks. Mexico didn't deserve to go down like that

Football is a cruel thing. Chile didn't deserve to lose to Brazil either, but sometimes the teams that are superior on paper get this little extra help from beyond (shots on post in the case of Chile) or from the ref... Robben sought the penalty with a classic dive after the smallest contact on his ankle. It worked.

Either way, Mexico withdrew too far down on the pitch after scoring. With no one to press the middle-left side effectively, it became a launching ramp for Robben's murderous runs. The equalizer was a pending affair.

and yet it's one of the most pleasant so far in the elimination round. I think Germany will give the necessary push to take the game home at least 2-0, but Algeria sure are giving them a hard time, playing a fast and technical passing style I didn't expect from them.

France-Germany was such a bland game, owing in part to the insane temperature conditions.

I had low expectations for France and they ended up advancing into the tournament showing some pleasant sequences and team spirit. But losing to the fucking Germans and exiting the WC after such a poor confrontation? Sorry, that's a real turn-off guys.

The incessant diving and embellishment in pro football gets old real fast. You could knock these guys down wth a feather.
For all its inherent boredom, hockey doesn't tolerate diving. You're either penalized and fined or you get punched in the face.

Further, the traditional concept of one referee on the field is a fail. There's no way one dude can see everything. The calls are seemingly totally arbitrary. I would not be surprised at all if a study was conducted that showed a 50% accuracy rate.