European headlining tour 2009

The album has lots of awesome ideas, but it suffers from lack of composition time (that Follow the Reaper -style constant guitar virtuosity is missing) and shy use of synthesizers. Maybe the lack of time (10 weeks for 8 songs) forced them to adopt a simple heavier style. For example Punch Me I Bleed failed to be as great as it is live.

I diggggg your synth comment. It definately lacked in that department but- going for a 'simpler' heavy style isn't necessarily bad. It's always good to touch into new genres. The worst thing about AYDY is easily the album cover. I freakin' hate that. All the other albums (Bar Blooddrunk) have badass covers- Nice clear reapers. AYDY was just scruffy to me. It just means the Tee sucks though.

I dunno- I liked AYDY album. Follow The Reaper wasn't THAT great imho. It has some great songs but- I just didn't like some of it. I dunno what it was. Like- Hate Me! It's a badass song but; I don't get why its so popular. It just doesn't hit me as one of thier best.

I diggggg your synth comment. It definately lacked in that department but- going for a 'simpler' heavy style isn't necessarily bad. It's always good to touch into new genres. The worst thing about AYDY is easily the album cover. I freakin' hate that. All the other albums (Bar Blooddrunk) have badass covers- Nice clear reapers. AYDY was just scruffy to me. It just means the Tee sucks though.

I dunno- I liked AYDY album. Follow The Reaper wasn't THAT great imho. It has some great songs but- I just didn't like some of it. I dunno what it was. Like- Hate Me! It's a badass song but; I don't get why its so popular. It just doesn't hit me as one of thier best.

Just to comment the album covers,

The first 3, Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow The Reaper are my three favorites. Then after it got down a bit with HCDR and ten way down wit AYDY and then slightly up on Blooddrunk.

But the three first are the winners :)

And also quite intresting to see that we think so unlike. I just love Hate Me! and follow the reaper album, but also AYDY, so many kickass songs on that one.

WTF !! I LOVE AYDY ! Definately has kick ass songs 100% through ! Please dont start the old vs new thing up again ! That album fcking rooooxxx !! :kickass:

I don't usually pay attention to album covers, but I actually really like the AYDY one.

HCDR easily has my favorite cover, though. Followed by FTR, SW, and BD/HB tied in last. I don't really like either of them.

^Really? You liked AYDY? Cover?? But it has nothing :lol: My favourite one is definitely Blooddrunk's cover, it's awesome IMO.

It sounds good otherwise but the keyboard sound on the melody fucking sucks! And that's Sauna 2004 not '5.

Thanks, I'll correct it. I did like it though, I don't see what's wrong with the keys sound.

Na, i did not like it :( Better just to leave it be. But i sure want to see deadnight warrior and needled live ^^

Meh, I'm getting kinda bored of Needled, not that I was happy they took it off for this tour, I do like it, but I prefer other songs to go in sometimes, and I love T,L&S so I'd be really pleased to see that one back on the live set.

Yeah, I thought the keyboard tone sucked too. Especially the Tavastia one. I can see why, now.

Oh well, hopefully they'll find a way around it someday.

What's wrong with that sound? No offence but I can't see what's wrong with it.

The album has lots of awesome ideas, but it suffers from lack of composition time (that Follow the Reaper -style constant guitar virtuosity is missing) and shy use of synthesizers. Maybe the lack of time (10 weeks for 8 songs) forced them to adopt a simple heavier style. For example Punch Me I Bleed failed to be as great as it is live.

I do agree it kinda lacks keyboards, but still was a really nice album and for me it's tied with HCD as their best albums regarding the final sound. Ok, guitars could have had a stronger sound, but still they're crystal clear and I dig it a lot.

I'm pretty sure it's not that there's a lack of synth.. Janne has said there's actually more keys on AYDY than HCDR but that they're used differently.
Imo that means less that the style was different due to time constraints but more that they consciously wanted to try out something different.
Alexi and Janne's solo exchanges on that album are some of my favourite they've ever done and I love FTR. Don't think the whole virtuosity thing has as much to do with it,just that they were moving in a different direction from music dominated by that kind of guitarwork. Though time constraints probably did play a factor alright as the guitars on BD are more technical and accomplished and whatnot..

Ok yeah, it's not necessarily a bad direction - you gain more young fans..

I would love a return to the old style with the band's current experience. And Lake Bodom on the cover art again.. ^^

You tend to start realizing what is good and what is not as you gain years of experience in listening to music and in other ways of being interfered with it.

Just to comment the album covers,

The first 3, Something Wild, Hatebreeder, Follow The Reaper are my three favorites. Then after it got down a bit with HCDR and ten way down wit AYDY and then slightly up on Blooddrunk.

But the three first are the winners :)

And also quite intresting to see that we think so unlike. I just love Hate Me! and follow the reaper album, but also AYDY, so many kickass songs on that one.

I totally agree with your album cover opinion.

Don't get me wrong, FTR has some great songs but I guess I just feel as an album it's weaker in some areas. It feels like a bands 'middle' album, that doesn't have much special on it. Saying that; the title track, Decadence and Bodom After Midnight are awesome.

Ok yeah, it's not necessarily a bad direction - you gain more young fans..

I would love a return to the old style with the band's current experience. And Lake Bodom on the cover art again.. ^^

You tend to start realizing what is good and what is not as you gain years of experience in listening to music and in other ways of being interfered with it.

I'm assuming your joking on the first comment. When I saw Bodom in London like 90% of the guys there were around 18-20 years old. Bodom changing thier style slightly for AYDY isn't sudenly gonna change the whole fanbase. Lets face it, people just slag off the new stuff cause they think it seems 'cool' to like the old stuff. Blooddrunk has some frickin' badass songs on. Tie My Rope, Banned From Heaven, Hellhounds etc., AYDY has badass tracks, as do all their albums. I love thier new stuff, but my favorite songs are off of SW/HB. I can't see how AYDY is gonna attract a big section of young fans.

Yeah; the old style could be sweet with their current experience, but it'd seem shit imho. It would seem like they've run out of ideas, and falling on the same all. I'd like to hear a mix of the best of thier newer stuff, with the best of thier old. They have some great sounds on the newer albums, as they do on the old. It'd be interesting to see if there's some sort of nice middle ground.

And, you tend to realise what is good with age? What, is that a joke? Music is always gonna be an opinion. There isn't anything 'good' or 'bad'. Sure, I hear a bunch of stuff everyday that I think is shit but heck; if people like it, what can I do? Also; to me thats a strange concept, especially in metal. Metal is all about energy, agression, speed, and oh the irony, as you get all, you get frail, and don't have as much energy, aggression or speed. I don't reccomend you ever get into the mindframe that you know what is good and bad. But i'll stop ranting as i'm inevitably gonna revive a big wall of text now in return.

When I saw Bodom in London like 90% of the guys there were around 18-20 years old. Bodom changing thier style slightly for AYDY isn't sudenly gonna change the whole fanbase. Lets face it, people just slag off the new stuff cause they think it seems 'cool' to like the old stuff. -- I can't see how AYDY is gonna attract a big section of young fans.

I'm assuming that the London show wasn't 18+ and I think you're, well, wrong with your assumption. Maybe 90% 14-20 (if it was all ages) would be closer to the truth. Anyway, even if 90% of the guys had been 18-20 (and all of them would have been there for COB), do you think even 10% of them was the same people who saw COB for instance when they played in Astoria in 2003 on the Hate Crew Deathroll tour? The 18-20 year olds were 12-14 back then and the band wasn't all over Kerrang! and other magazines back in the day. I have a review of the Astoria show somewhere and I believe it was either sold out or very close to being sold out. Where have all the people gone?

Now I don't know what it exactly is that COB are doing wrong if anything, but from what I've seen the average age of COB fans in their shows is actually going down as the band is getting more years behind them. This is pretty fucked up and not a healthy development and structure for a fanbase as their fans lose interest in the band as they grow up. It's easy to see already on this messageboard how 'newfags' slowly transform into COB haters in a few years time. For many COB is just an entry level band into the world of metal and it's not cool to dig them anymore when you discover some more advanced bands. Then there's the retards like me who never see the light and understand why Opeth is so amazing :cry:

I don't think AYDY was as different from HCDR as many people make it to be and sometimes it feels like that whatever kind of album they would've made after HCDR, it still would've not been cool as long as their fanbase was getting too big and the kids were starting to dig it. I don't really want to agree with Joonas about the AYDY theory but maybe there's some of truth in it. After all many people who've 'grown out of COB' still seem to be jerking off to Wintersun's general direction which is in a way close to the early COB era stuff, I guess. I just never got why some teenager trying to sound like Yngwie is so much cooler than what the band eventually progressed into :cool:

Wintersun....Never heard of them before, but checked them out on utube, and I must say they were quite ok. Dont like the singing, but imo yeah its quite close to CoB in the playing. Good drummer that :headbang:

Lets face it, people just slag off the new stuff cause they think it seems 'cool' to like the old stuff.

No, you're just too young (15-17?) to understand there's more about music than being heavy. Nothing personal, but I swear your recipe for best metal will change in time. It happened to me too. Don't forget I used to be one of the fiercest AYDY defender back in the days when it came out.. :Smug:

I'm pretty sure it's not that there's a lack of synth.. Janne has said there's actually more keys on AYDY than HCDR but that they're used differently.

Yes, he's working on the lower keys for much of the time, doing support sounds (for guitars mainly) that we cannot really separate as keyboard tracks. Perfect example is the very beginning of In Your Face - you get Alexi's guitar from the other speaker and Janne's piano from the other. Some of Janne's stuff (for example strings on the Living Dead Beat verses) have been completely left or mixed out of the studio record. The chorus of Living Dead Beat (check Mitch's guitar backing track) plus the intro interlude in Punch Me I Bleed (check Nosturi live) are one the most brilliant keyboard pieces I'm aware of, and it's killing me they didn't get them on the record. I like to hear louder synthesizers as they really make the atmosphere (song AYDY is good example, awesome synths, yet they could be 50% louder if you ask me) and I'd really not bother hearing the cool backing string melody on Trashed, Lost & Strungout chorus too instead of just Alexi's vocals. For a final example of what I'm after, check out this live piece of Banned from Heaven, how the synths are brought in on the last double chorus, from 4:45

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJEyeobjOhE&feature=related[/ame]

No, you're just too young (15-17?) to understand there's more about music than being heavy. Nothing personal, but I swear your recipe for best metal will change in time. It happened to me too. Don't forget I used to be one of the fiercest AYDY defender back in the days when it came out.. :Smug:

Yeah- I'm 16.

And trust me, I know theres more to music than being heavy, cause I moved onto being into metal only a year or so ago. I used to be crazy into JRock/Punk and then discovered Bodom, Metallica and Megadeth. I can understand how my opinion on music will change as I get older, but everyones will. I can't see having your fans as being a problem.

Also about the London Astoria thing, when these 18 year olds would have been like 12-14, there are other things that happen in life in the 5 years that passed. People get jobs, get families, and just can't see gigs as often. I know people who are shit crazy into thier favorite bands, but can't go see em cause they just don't have the time/cash. Thats the advantage of being 18, you can still live with your parents (No rent, food, drink etc.), you can have a job, and you can get transport for yourself. Much easier if you wanna go see gigs as opposed to someone in mid 20's, who's moved out, settling down with a partner, paying for thier rent/mortgage, food, drink etc. and in some cases paying for a child too.

Lets face it, people just slag off the new stuff cause they think it seems 'cool' to like the old stuff.

Do you really think I've started digging the 'old stuff' because I think it makes me cool? You're wrong. You're just convinced the new stuff is better, so you simply cannot believe someone likes the old stuff more. I know you're a nice and cool chap and don't mean to insult, but what you just typed there does make me feel like you're underestimating a degree of fans.

So no, I just can't face that! :)

Prove me with facts why the old stuff is better or otherwise stop going "with time you realise what's better and what's worse and you appreciate other facts". That is bullshit. Tastes are tastes, and I think it's perfectly normal to have different tastes and to prefer some music over other, but I can't take it when someone thinks their opinion is better than others'.

Prove me with facts why the old stuff is better or otherwise stop going "with time you realise what's better and what's worse and you appreciate other facts". That is bullshit. Tastes are tastes, and I think it's perfectly normal to have different tastes and to prefer some music over other, but I can't take it when someone thinks their opinion is better than others'.

When did I say the old is better? I just said the new is not better.

And yes, it is a matter of taste which you maybe prefer more than the other.

But I do think that with time, experience and knowledge you become able to say what details are good and what details are bad about the old style or the new style, and all music.

Do you really think I've started digging the 'old stuff' because I think it makes me cool? You're wrong. You're just convinced the new stuff is better, so you simply cannot believe someone likes the old stuff more. I know you're a nice and cool chap and don't mean to insult, but what you just typed there does make me feel like you're underestimating a degree of fans.

So no, I just can't face that! :)

d00de... My favorite Bodom album is Something Wild followed by Hatebreeder/Blooddrunk. My favorite being there oldest, trust me, im not rooted in thinking thier old stuff is bad.

When did I say the old is better? I just said the new is not better.

Don't pick at shit man. If you say the new is 'not better', thats the same as saying 'the old is better'. It's called an implication.

(Sorry- I just can't stand it when people do that.)