European headlining tour 2009

The earlier dates are usually not as polished as the later ones, as a band has yet to really break into stride.

Thanks for the feedback on the recap everyone! Much appreciated. I was a bit doubtful if anyone would be interested in all the small details and would actually take the time to read the whole thing. Good to see that I'm obviously not the only nutcase around :) For the record I always feel a bit silly about praising the band on a fansite (not very credible, huh?) so this time I eventually decided to leave the part out where I said that the Stockholm & Helsinki shows were the tightest shows I've seen from the band. I am not just saying this but I really, really mean it. Just for comparison I would give Alexi's playing a 6 on a scale 4-10 for his Wacken 08 performance but Stockholm and Helsinki were extremely close to a 10.

I messed up something with the pics from Helsinki and at least one of them was missing, it'll probably be fixed tomorrow so look back if you're interested, it's one of the better shots I think. Or actually I might just as well link it here. Click (doesn't work yet, but this will be the URL).

Great gigs review Lari. :) It's the reviews with all the small details that are always the best ones. :D The youtube clips were cool too! Also it's nice to see a well informed reviewer, some of that info like the Blooddrunk intro influences I didn't know about so thanks :)
I personally love the Napoleon xiv intro though, wouldn't care if they recycled it for a few more tours.

Great great review Lari. And awesome acompanying vids and pics too. I was looking forward something like that from SOB, so thanks a lot :D And I agree with you about the playing on the Helsinki gig, it was extremely tight, I loved it. Oh, and thanks for explaining the reason why Blooddrunk vocals seemed ''fucked up'' sometimes, as that was the only downpoint I could find to the gig but now I know that it was not a fuck up.

Nice recap man.

It's great to see the one show I went to see was the only one to have fucked up :lol:

Ah well- when I finally see the song live in the flesh; i'll drop this grudge.

The show was quality stuff indeed. You could see Alexi was feeling good and everything was like it's supposed to be and they knew it. I just have to say the two best COB shows for me were Sauna Open Air 2004 (very big sound, rare songs like T,L&S, Kissing the Shadows, Towards Dead End...) and an indoors concert at Tampere in 2006 - mainly because they were among my first times I saw COB live and I was drunk and went extremely nuts for excitement. These times it's just I know what their concerts are like and can take a more analytical approach, yet still in the front of course.

How was T,L&S live?

I heard that they don't play it because for some reason it sounds like crap live, but that never made sense to me why it would.

How was T,L&S live?

I heard that they don't play it because for some reason it sounds like crap live, but that never made sense to me why it would.

The band says it sounded like crap everytime they played it live. Later Alexi confessed they just haven't practiced it enough so the groove is missing. And the melody sounds cheeky as the keyboard sound used live is different to that on the EP record. They haven't been able to make it sound as good as on the record. I hope they will come out with a working solution in time, as it's a cool song but difficult to create a good live impact.

I filmed a short video of the virgin display of the song, but the memory card is lost. Sauna Open Air 2004 Alexi announced (before Angels Don't Kill) they're going to play a new song next. His introduction biisi kertoo dokaamisesta ja paskana olemisesta is translated pretty much as "the song tells about heavy drinking and being all fucked up." I recognized some nice things about the song (cool bouncing intro and a nice melody repeated in the song) but that's it, as I heard it for the first time and a studio record didn't exist so I couldn't compare.

There is one medium-quality live video on youtube with the distinct keyboard sound.

Ah, I see. That makes sense, and I figured that they probably just didn't really practice it enough or something.

I hope they bring it back at some point too, it's one of my favorites. Probably my favorite song off the AYDY record, anyway.

Ah, I see. That makes sense, and I figured that they probably just didn't really practice it enough or something.

I hope they bring it back at some point too, it's one of my favorites. Probably my favorite song off the AYDY record, anyway.

I understand it was wise to put it on the album so people who didn't get the EP could hear it, but I feel that including it on AYDY unchanged was a desperate attempt to create a face-lift for the album, but due it's higher quality it's a disgrace for the song in my opinion, as I don't really regard it as part of the same project. Anyways I think it's better to leave the what AYDY could've been case closed.

^Then please don't reopen it. You know as well as I do that there's some people that look for the slightest chance to go and start the discussion again, so better not to let them start :)

There is one medium-quality live video on youtube with the distinct keyboard sound.

The one from Tavastia? I like it quite a lot actually, that's why I never understood why they complain about T,L&S played live.

EDIT: There you go if anyone wants them :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-wSdXFIYNQ"]T,L&S live at Tavastia Club 2004[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lsR915-cE"]T,L&S live at Sauna 2005 (only sound)[/ame]

Yeah, I thought the keyboard tone sucked too. Especially the Tavastia one. I can see why, now.

Oh well, hopefully they'll find a way around it someday.

Sorry- Why do we all hate AYDY?

It's not a bad album by any means. It also had some pretty badass songs. Mainly the opening ones. LDB, AYDY, If You Want Peace..., Punch Me I Bleed, In Your Face

All those were fine songs. Also We're Not Gonna Fall has to be one of Bodom's best imho.

If it weren't COB who made the album, it would have been Album Of The Year. But the standards with COB are way higher and compared to HCDR and FTR it was a little bit less excellent.
Yet still one of the better albums in their genre. (and no, I don't want a genre discussion)

The album has lots of awesome ideas, but it suffers from lack of composition time (that Follow the Reaper -style constant guitar virtuosity is missing) and shy use of synthesizers. Maybe the lack of time (10 weeks for 8 songs) forced them to adopt a simple heavier style. For example Punch Me I Bleed failed to be as great as it is live.