european tour: reviews, comments, questions

I managed to get kicked in the thigh and knee and have a blue thigh now :) I haven't been headbanging for a while now, and so after yesterday I can not move my head on my neck and look rather weird. *shrugs* but I'll be fine as soon as I manage to brush my hair.

and yes sir. veil the sky I have seen your air guitar...very nice :D

Veil, i think your being pretty nit picky mate...

I sat right behind the sound engineer and he was working his ass off during the set, trying to get a decent sound.

The sound at the show was pretty good, I thought the drums were too loud and the vox. Apart from that no complaints.

I listened to my recording today and the guitars are little lost in some places. If anything the sound was too loud, I could this by the recording levels on my MD, I had to set them at zero so it wouldn't distort, never had to do this before at any of the shows I've recorded in the last 3 years.

Though I am not a huge DT fan, last night's show pushed them up my list big time.

Full report tomorrow.

Yeah that tour is fantastic, Dark Tranquillity is one of the best headliners I've ever seen! Such an enthousiasm, such a groupplay! Alexi Laiho sure is the guitarist of Sinergy/Children of Bodom. Actually I did an interview with Sinergy after the concert. I heard rumours that Kimberly is a bitch in real life, well that sure isn't true.. She and Alexi really are cool people! Answerred all my questions, signed my cd's and we even took a picture together!
The interview with Sinergy should appear next week at Nocturnal Hall, (http://www.nocturnalhall.com) check it out!

And if all my pictures have succeeded, you'll see them at the live report too ;-)

Greetz Burning1

Amazing gig at London!

I was in the front row the whole time (excluding having to leave just after Not Built To Last to catch a coach :( ), with dark hair half-way down my back, standing just in front of Henriksson.

Basically... I don't think I've ever been to a better gig. Personally, I found the sound to be pretty good, but then I was right next to a monitor and probably got a crisp guitar tone from that :) I've never seen a singer work the crowd quite so well before, and it looked like the band was really enjoying themselves. Getting to frequently 'sing' along into the mike was an unexpected bonus too. The changes in some of the songs were a bit distracting, but it increased the number of songs they could play, which is obviously important.

Anyway, all in all I spent about £50 on that gig including travel, merchandise, etc... and it was worth every penny. If anyone has any pictures of the night, I'd love to see them.

Damn I got the playlist from Mikael but I gave it to a friend to scan and print it... I'll post the songs at a later time. The set was about an hour and a half long though.

Well the guys kicked my ass! I'm still aching all over, plus I got a red line on my chest from that damn rail on the front. The sound was pretty good, everyone there was full of energy, which was ultimately reflected on the band. Mikael was seen stagediving...hmmm.. twice and ... no need to say more. Great gig!

And I met the guys at last, got some pics... Everyone seemed to enjoy it like I did..

Originally posted by The Grand Wazoo
Mikael kept coming really close to the podium, fell into the crowd once as well.. and I sang along with him. Which he liked, I think. :p :rolleyes: Well, most people were singing along, of course, but still.. Ah. I'm just rambling.
Well, I was being squashed against the podium, since I was standing right in front, with all the crowd wanting to come near Mikael.. So, I looked up to Mikael, and pulled this face like: "Mwjah, that is what you get.., Poor me" And while singing, he went to the back of the stage, and got my a tin of beer. ME! A tin of beer!! From Mikael! Everyone was fuuuucking jealous!! HEheheeheh :D You could say I was kinda happy... God, that certainly was an amazing night. Woow.

Hey listen, I was at the effenaar to watching a fucking great concert, and I saw you stagediving and than smashing your head on the floor. How's youre head now?? Cause it looked very painfull!! And I got hugged by mikael too :lol: He kept telling me to stay fucking metal!!!! Well I really want to go to arch enemy but I can't :( but I will go to thyrfing in december :D well I'm gonna get myself a neck massage right now cause my neck still fucking hurts from friday but it was really worth it. talk to you later bye bye

Originally posted by Goth_thing
He kept telling me to stay fucking metal!!!! Well I really want to go to arch enemy but I can't :( but I will go to thyrfing in december :D

i'm sure with staying metal he didn't mean you have to attend every metal gig for the next 20 years. ;)

rahvin.

yeah! that's is my best gig i ever been to! okee, i just went to 3 anyway in my life in uk, but this is the BEST! got many great review of the show and the song above, so i'm not going to say anything abt it anymore, it 's just GREAT!

first time seeing my fav. band DT, and they just amazingly better than i expected. Mikael are the best vocal i ever since that react to the crowd so much, and as we all are, we enjoy alot!

got singing thru the mic when Sinergy are on once, and got hold on kimberly's hand for quite a moment! YEAH! i was just standing in the middle on the second row, and i am not regret standing all the way long there to wait for sinergy and DT (and yup, GRIFFIN is alrite, but just not my taste, and the air-con just above my head is freezing me!) Sinergy also sing one of my fav. song 'Wake Up In Hell' which i do scream and shout a lot for it ( however it doesnt really matter as Roope and Alexi seems want to play this song other than the other song as well ) Alexi is a little bit cool than i expect, or maybe it isnt the COB show, he acts a little quieter for me :rolleyes:

after sinergy and it's DT! ppl went crazy :D and i am glad that i still manage to stay on the same place all nite long. Really enjoy a lot when i am singing along and mikael did looking at me , and after it, he grab my hand and hold it tight for some secs, it just make me feel that he really enjoy the crowd and me as well :p and me and mikael hold our hand together in a quiet part of a song (which i didnt remember which song already ..... ).

anyway, someone next to me start getting jealous and start punching me and kicking me off, at this time i really feel sad abt it, i was enjoying the show, and as i concern all of us did as well, but there is just someone doing this to me, i dunno if it is becoz i am a chinese or what, but it happened on me last 2 time i went to the gigs. however i wont be annoying by it, i went even more crazy and went thru it , haha :D

ok.. forget this now as i spread my motion here already, at last, ppl asking autograph, song list and guitar picks around, and when i manage to get to the front, all the things gone but just Mikael is left and signing for ppl. I asked him to take a picture with me, and he DID!!! wow! it is just great!!! i think i was the only one inside the venue took a picture with him, (maybe not a big deal for you guys, but it just means a lot to me :) ) cant express how it feels in words anyway, DT just amazing and after this show, i will be definitely a die hard fans to DT forever!!!

ps sorry for this long ass personal feeling review, but i feel just great! ;) ;) ;)

btw, got loads of pictures and some vdo clips taken as well, will upload some where soon when i get organised. and becoz the vdo clip takes quite a while to upload, i am think i will just burn it on some CDR and send to those who really want it. (and so someone got the cdr can help spread around as well)

sure i cant make many CDR and send to too many ppl (postage cost a little fortune as well :p, but 20 of it should be alrite i think)

oh yeah, just wanna know if anybody recognise me, i am the chinese guy with a bit long half black and light brown hair, just wanna said it good fun playing along with DT and you guys!!!

Originally posted by gaz
Veil, i think your being pretty nit picky mate...

I sat right behind the sound engineer and he was working his ass off during the set, trying to get a decent sound.

The sound at the show was pretty good, I thought the drums were too loud and the vox. Apart from that no complaints.

I listened to my recording today and the guitars are little lost in some places. If anything the sound was too loud, I could this by the recording levels on my MD, I had to set them at zero so it wouldn't distort, never had to do this before at any of the shows I've recorded in the last 3 years.

Though I am not a huge DT fan, last night's show pushed them up my list big time.

Full report tomorrow.

Any chance of getting a copy of that bootleg?

Dark Tranquillity – The Garage London 18-11-2002

Took a 7 hour bus ride from South Wales to London.

Arrived in Highbury, a bit rough of an area by all reports and I found that to be the case. The venue itself, The Garage was smaller than I thought.

First there was no security, no checks for any recording devices or camera’s.

T-shirts, quite a good selection and the price was cheap, I had to ask the guy twice, the first time I thought he was kidding when he said £12 for a longsleeve.
The cheapest concert shirts I have ever bought.

Griffin were almost finished by the time we had arrived.
From what I saw they were only average, they said they had 2 albums out, yet they chose to play a cover (Crazy Train) which wasn’t good. They had more than enough originals to fill their set, so why not play them?

This was the second time I’d seen Sinergy. They played a pretty good set, but all the material seemed to blend into each song, leaving little variety and not much difference in the set. Enjoyable, but I won’t be adding to the 1 Sinergy album I currently own.

By this time the place was pretty full up; my estimation is 250-300 people.
Not much room to move, I got my place right behind the sound desk, where I try to be, you seem to get a better recording from this position :)

Dark Tranquillity came on at 9:45pm, immediately the crowd was right into it, so was the band. Mikael Stanne surprised me with his energy and working of the crowd.

The set was some 18 songs, around 84 minutes, mainly from the new album Damage Done, 3 from Haven (including a fave of mine, Not Built To Last), a couple from The Mind’s Eye and 1 from The Gallery album.
A good selection, sound wise the band was a little loud, I had to set my MC recorder at zero level, otherwise the recording would have been distorted.
I sat right behind the soundboard/mixing desk, the sound guy had a busy night trying to get the levels right, for the most it was decent, maybe too much vox and drums were a little too loud. the guitars were also MIA in quite a few places.
There was no encore, set ended and the band left the stage, bar Mikael, who shook hands and even signed his autograph a few times.
A bit strange that they didn’t come back for a couple more, but I guess there are reasons for this ?

The set list I am a little unsure of a couple of the song titles, like I said before I am not overly familiar with the band, but after Monday night’s show, I intend to rectify this :)

any chance i could have a copy of the recording :) ???

Originally posted by gaz
I sat right behind the soundboard/mixing desk, the sound guy had a busy night trying to get the levels right, for the most it was decent, maybe too much vox and drums were a little too loud. the guitars were also MIA in quite a few places.