european tour: reviews, comments, questions

Ok, I'll divide this into two parts...

A short part on the support acts, and a longer one on DT.

Why a short part? Because the less said the better IMO

Griffin:
Good points: Weren't bad.
Bad points: Weren't good either.. particularly not the singer. Ok, so I'm anti power metal singing... Daresay Dark Jester would of liked it... except for not being there :p

Sinergy:
Good points: The occasional riff/piece of drumwork. Kimberly's hair through the light. The weird dude standing near me and Hywel.
Bad Points: Rest of it really.

In a way I feel kinda sorry for the support acts. They were playing to a small, but fantically DT crowd with music that wasn't that similar.
Ok... onwards.

:eek: This gig rocked!

Griffin were not so good. Crazy Train cover was okay except that the guitar sound was way off Zakk Wylde (or Randy Rhoads for that matter). Crap vocals.

Sinergy impressed me. Not bad vocals. Nice guitars. But nothing compared to...

Dark Tranquillity! Amazing! Awesome! Spectacular! Fantastic! What more can I say? Mikael's vocals were brilliant! You could tell they were all putting 100% in.

A great night, and I even managed to catch the 11.26 (from Finsbury Park) train home :)

Negatives: had to leave half way through last song, missed out on a tour shirt.

You might have wanted to have posted this on the european tour thread ;) rahvin will mostl likely fuse this with it. Hope you write a full gig report!

DT.

Oh. My. Gods. Oh. My. Gods. *repeat until the point is made clear*

Out of this world. Ok, so I was a bigtime fan already, but this completely blew away my expectations. In an hour and a half, I have been reduced to a state of servile fanboyism.
It was all very tight - except for the area around Mikael, which was filled with Mikael. For a thin guy, he can fill a lot of space, and exude a lot of energy. The crowd was really excellent - singing along, really getting into it, and Mikael went right along with them - eye contact, stage diving, giving the mike to the crowd - I got three go's on the mike :p
Anyway, run through of the songs(this isn't in order).

Sun Fired Blanks: They opened with this, and... bang. Those opening chords make for a very good opener anyway, and it really got us going.
I feel I should state at this point that I sang along to every word throughout the evening, and I've a feeling I wasn't alone...

Therein: Hugely popular, with Mikael on top form for the cleans.

The Wonders at you Feet: Got the crowd going, everybody knew it, everbody loved it. Watching Niklas do the solo...

Not built to last: I confess, it took me a moment to realise what was being played... bigger crowd participation then I'd of guessed, but then I think most there were hardcore fans.

Indifferent Suns: Tight, Leathal, Wild crowd... pleased to see the keyboards came off well live in this song.

Haven: I'm guessing everyone had lots of fun screaming "IN! IN! IN!". I know I did.

Final Resistance: The outro song, fantastic drumming from Anders, crowd really putting it in for this one

Hours Passed in Exile: Mikael bellowing here... the crowd loved this one to pieces. And rightly so.

Monochromatic Stains: Mikael points out the video maker, we cheer, we enjoy one of their most addictive choruses to date. Mmmm. Addictive.

Single Part of Two: Came off really well live... real pleasure to watch Niklas doing this solo.

The Treason Wall: Another crowd favourite. Wonder why...

Damage Done: Well, this one was obviously going to be played. Again, lots of crowd singing. Came off really well, despite not being one of my favourites off new album....

White Noise/Black Silence: Good. "The nail that never sticks" = the ear you hope doesn't deafen. Not the best of the evening perhaps, but still awesome to hear.

Zodijackyl Light: Hilight of the evening. Apart from the innate metal goodness of the song... the band stopped just as it got to "Waiting for the call within", and the crowd took a while to realise they'd stopped. And so tore straight on with the song. Very funny, very cool moment. Then I got the mike for the last "Zodijackyl Light". Words don't describe how happy that made me.

Hedon: Ok, so they missed out the coolest bit of the song. Was still very cool. Plus I got to do one of the Hedons (the fourth to be precise).

Insanity's Crescendo: Mwwwwaahh... Mwwwwaahh... this one just really caught hold. I noticed that the older songs got really good support...

Punish my Heaven: Go back and read the song title. Having garned all needful information to reach the correct conclusion, make it and move onto next song.

Lethe: My favourite song... with intro (pre-recorded admittedly)... and with the guitars, and the bass, and ander's drumming... and Mikael... and me getting to sing some of the "and again and again"... and me being a pathetic fanboy :p. I'd of paid a tenner for this song alone.

Incidentally, its on Lethe that my throat gave out. Even as we speak.. I don't. At least, not normally. 2 songs left to go and all.

So there we have it. Really brilliant - thanks to DT (Mr. Mike with the mike in particular:p), and Hywel - truly the most tolerant of all men.

Great review WB! It made me recall the feeling I had at the show at Uppsala last summer... :)

Rakatak: Nice pics, but where's the crowd? I realized we have rarely seen any pics of crowd (admittedly, I took none myself at Uppsala - but I'm gonna take some next time I go to see DT).

-Villain

Last night in London

Fuckin awesome show, great energy from both crowd and band.
Sound was great, quite loud.

More when I get home, doing this from the bus station.

and the recording turned out pretty good too :)

Greeting All. I

I have just joined. I am from South Africa, Johannesburg and have been saving to get my ass to London. DT have been one of my fave bands for about 6years and how sweet it was to finally see them live. Who was at the gig in London Garage last night and what did you all think?

For me, unbelievable. Mikael has such a good stage presence and vibe on stage. Great band, great voice, great riffs.

Keep the spirit High
C-Ray

@ Villain: did you mean something like this with "crowd"? ;)

crowd.jpg

Greets, rakatak :headbang:

Check my DT pics at http://www.lostinberlin.com/malbum.php?lang=en&gal=dt&page=1

Originally posted by Seraph
Absolutely amazing gig!! We flew over from Irelnad to see em. That was the fisrt time I've ever seen them live and they were outstanding!! I got two full rolls of film so I'll upload them somewhere so you can all have a look.

Seraph

Irish... film.... didn't happen to be right at the front with a camera telling them to come to Ireland did you? If so, I was the guy behind you with the goatee you seemed to take exception to ;):p

and WB - I hope that "most tolerant of all men" wasn't sarcastic, I was on best behaviour. It was him who walked into me, fecking twat. :mad:
and that weird guy during Sinergy... so I said some things people might call 'unfair' still...

and there was a video-maker? :eek:

Gig was great, can't really add much to what others have said (well, I could but y'know..) I'm regretting not dropping back a little for a real mosh but I liked being nearer the band :p
I got a couple of pics maybe.. see how they come out.

I went. It rocked. This will probably be merged with the other thread 'european tour - comments,reviews etc' like mine was.

You might have seen me, I was the kid with the mini-afro :p Easiest way to describe it. About 5'10-11.

er

hate to sound like whinging old git. but i thought last night's gig in london was good but not great.

and i'm sorry gaz but i thought the sound was pretty gravelly all night. it occured to the sound engineer about half way through the set of each band (although apparently not at all during griffin's set) that the bands had two guitarists....

now mikael is a great frontman, and maybe the others leave him to get on with it on purpose, but you could hardly notice the others at all with very little to keep the crowd entertained between them. a bit motionless for my liking.

the music is more important of course though. so...

the 'damage done' tracks came across more confidently than the older stuff, even the projector material sounded a little ruffled. 'monochromatic stains' and 'hours passed in exile' were vibrant and powerful, bit 'therein' and 'haven' were great to hear, but somehow less convincing.

'punish my heaven' i found very disappointing. sorry. *awaits murder* but when a song reaches the level of fame that this one has, it becomes sort of 'antique' and to play it differently will be dangerous. a lot of people know every nook and cranny of this song, such fame can easily come back to haunt you live. now DT wrote the song, they own it and can play it however they damn well want to, obviously, but i found that a lot of the changes they did make really took away from the interest of the original recording (although that is not 'technically perfect' it has awesome feel). gone were the quaint little drum fills and kick patterns throughout the half time section, as was the second line of the guitar solo (it was a question of dropping that or the acoustic backing section, i would have answered differently). and i get the impression that if 'punish' had sounded more like that when DT recorded 'the gallery' then it wouldn't have had the overwhelming response it did.

DT chose the right tracks to play (i would have liked to hear format c: for cortex, but that might be just me), and they mixed it up to the point that no-one would feel cheated. mikael is, as i said, a great man to have at the front of your stage; emotional and involved with the crowd and his vocals also come across pretty well, although i do feel he sacrifices some of his vocal concentration for onstage antics (and well appreciated by the crowd for it).

it may have been the muddy sound that didn't really carry the songs across, but i didn't feel that DT did themselves justice with a view to musical performance. but it was the general excitement level that made enjoying the show so irresistable. and the band must take credit for that.

in 'damage done', DT have released a potent example of how a band can endure through time and retain their magic across the best part of a decade and even a generation of fans. they have brought some needed credibility to gothenburg in the eyes of a great deal of fans of melodic and death metal everywhere. but their live show seems to pale in comparison with that 'other band from gothenburg'. having said that i wouldn't miss DT live for anything and nor should anyone as far as i'm concerned. DT are well capable musicians and their music is challenging and addictive, it's a bit of a shame for me that they haven't got the same effect with it's live translation.

me 2

i was the guy throwing his dark red hair about in anarchic fashion around the front of the mosh intertwined with some cringeworthy metal poses and air guitar action that i am know to be prone to :). i somehow managed to keep my leather coat on the whole way through the gig without dying from heat exhaustion... i said somehow!!!