Evanescence........

Average band at best, definitely not metal, that radio song is their heaviest (so they are the opposite of Sugar Ray when it comes to releasing singles), Christian or not its the music that counts and this album isn't really worth your money unless you are desperate for female led rock. Wait there are tons of female led rock/metal bands now, so why waste your money here?

You are right, they are not metal. This is a message board that is about metal and metal fans, but I think this girl's voice is special and I think many metal fans will like this band or I wouldn't have posted it here. I personally find "Taking Over Me" to be the best song on the CD. I also like the ballad "My Immortal" which is far from metal, but I could easily see how some metal fans, especially prog-metal fans could dig it. This band does not fit into any category really. Yes the "hit" song sounds alterna-nu-metalish, but at their age, if they do pick a "metallish" direction, they will absolutely command the genre as far as a female vocal led band.
I do not dislike female vocal led metal acts, but the thing is, most aren't as good as their male counterparts only because it is dominated by males, and the great female talent hasn't made it's way into it yet. Amy Lee is the female talent that can sing with the authority of the Russell Allens etc. As far as a Christian band, they are not. There are Christian members, namely the originators that met in some type of a Christian camp, but the only mention of "God" on the CD is on "Tourniquet." I don't mind any kind of criticism of my post, but if you are going to knock my post, get your facts straight first.

Bryant

Reactions: Tebus
Someone mentioned Madder Mortem as a good female led metal band. I have to add that they have one of the worst female vocalists that I have ever heard, but their music is quite good. If you can tolerate horrible, range-less, melodramatic vocals, go right ahead. I liked their latest cd for about a week, but the vocals make me want to die and the nu metal guitars get on my nerves after a while.

Fallen is the major-label debut of Evanescence, a Little Rock, AR-based quartet led by the soaring vocals of 20-year-old Amy Lee. Emboldened by the inclusion of its single "Bring Me to Life" on the soundtrack to the hit film Daredevil, Fallen debuted at an impressive number seven on Billboard's Top 40. But "Bring Me to Life" is a bit misleading. A flawless slice of Linkin Park-style anguish pop, it's actually a duet between Lee and 12 Stones' Paul McCoy. In fact, almost half of Fallen's 11 songs are piano-driven ballads that suggest Tori Amos if she wore too much mascara and recorded for the Projekt label. The other half of the album does include flashes of the single's PG-rated nu-metal ("Everybody's Fool," "Going Under"). But it's the symphonic goth rock of groups like Type O Negative that influences most of Fallen. Ethereal synths float above Brian Moody's crunching guitar in "Haunted," while "Whisper" even features apocalyptic strings and a scary chorus of Latin voices right out of Carmina Burana. "Tourniquet" is an anguished, urgent rocker driven by chugging guitars and spiraling synths, with brooding lyrics that reference Evanescence's Christian values: "Am I too lost to be saved?/Am I too lost?/My God! My tourniquet/Return to me salvation." The song is Fallen's emotional center point and defines the band's sound.
www.allmusic.com

All I've heard from them is the single. And that rapping part destroys the song. Otherwise it's pretty ok. As far as it being metal I really don't give a crap what's deemed as metal and what is not. There's too many catagories to care anyway. Metal-shmetal. I'll listen to christian pop if I think it's good. Actually I find most of that satanic crap to be nothing more than embarassing for the whole metal genre anyway. I've gotten sick of the whole "metal scene" and what too many people believe is troo metal. Bring on the Christian Rock bands!!!!! Jesus Saves!!!!

Has anyone ever tried watching christian television (music channels, infomercials, 700 Club, those idiots thay faint when the Gonzo guy touches them, ect) while tripping? It's so fucking scary. Almost as scary as all the Ken and Barbie dolls in weight loss commercials.

Jack Van Impe Presents. Those people will scare the hell out of you if you believe what they are saying. There always talking about the end of the world.

And I listened to a couple more tunes. Yeah, there's a song that was very Linkin Parkish. Basically I would make sure I have every The Gathering and Lacuna Coil album before I would purchase this one. Nothing to special.

Hmmm....I must say, that one song that they have, the chorus is quite catchy.....I also need to check out more Lacuna Coil...

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
Has anyone ever tried watching christian television (music channels, infomercials, 700 Club, those idiots thay faint when the Gonzo guy touches them, ect) while tripping? It's so fucking scary. Almost as scary as all the Ken and Barbie dolls in weight loss commercials.

Hmmmm.... can't say that I watch much Christian Television as I am not particularly religious. I have watched the 700 Club a few times though, when they were doing news as opposed to praying, preaching or begging for money. Pat Robertson is an extremely intelligent individual. Had he lost his "faith" to some degree and weren't such a devout and conservative Christian when he ran for President, I might have voted for him. I must say that I must have missed the "Gonzo guy" though. I'm not sure who you are talking about.

Bryant

He's some clown that supposedly releases the powers of god into people through his hands. They come up on stage "disabled" (limpers, people in wheel chairs, people with oxygen tanks and the like) and then by some miracle they are cured. Then after they are done groveling he puts his hand on their heads and they fall backwards into the waiting arms of some other assholes.

I don't exactly watch religious shows, even though the 700 Club is halarious. Ya gotta love a man who violently supports the death penalty, but thinks that if someone becomes born again while on death row they should be left off the hook. Right. Anyway, that shit is always on when me and my friends are on acid or shrooms, and it's fun to watch. Pranking the 700 Club is awesome too. I usually start speaking in foreign languages and they ask if I'm an alien. Then they begin praying for me. I usually ask if they can deliver me a pizza when they are done delivering me unto the holy ghost, or whatever.

I really should post more often because I miss some great threads... but god DAMN do I love Evanescence. I completely ignored "Bring Me To Life" and had to check out the rest of the album... Amy's voice is too beautiful to just assume everything they do will suck because of that one song. Lo and behold, the rest of the album is nothing like "Bring Me To Life" and I am loving it. I've got it downloaded now but when I get some dead prez (which will be very soon, I have a speeding ticket to pay off) I will be buying this CD. Their first album is great too, it's called "Origin."

And yeah, there will be people who compare it to Lacuna Coil. But I think anytime a band debuts in these times, there will be comparisons to another band. Just listen to some of these bands' albums the entire way through... give them a chance. You might like them.

Now back to my third play of "Origin" for the night!

I saw their video for the first time a couple days ago, and now I can see why people claim them to be Lacuna Coil rip-offs.

That singer for Evanscene is pretty hot just like Lacuna Coil who they're ripping off. But besides that their music isn't worth a shit.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
He's some clown that supposedly releases the powers of god into people through his hands. They come up on stage "disabled" (limpers, people in wheel chairs, people with oxygen tanks and the like) and then by some miracle they are cured. Then after they are done groveling he puts his hand on their heads and they fall backwards into the waiting arms of some other assholes.

I don't exactly watch religious shows, even though the 700 Club is halarious. Ya gotta love a man who violently supports the death penalty, but thinks that if someone becomes born again while on death row they should be left off the hook. Right. Anyway, that shit is always on when me and my friends are on acid or shrooms, and it's fun to watch. Pranking the 700 Club is awesome too. I usually start speaking in foreign languages and they ask if I'm an alien. Then they begin praying for me. I usually ask if they can deliver me a pizza when they are done delivering me unto the holy ghost, or whatever.

You need Jesus.

i dont know what everyone has been taking, amy from evanescence does not have an amazing voice, its just average in my view, and the fact that their band are talentless and the music is fucking awful and manufactured doesnt help. Pisses me off the way all these little nu-metallers are loving them and saying "wow a ground breaking band" when they've ripped off lacuna coil and nightwish so badly its just unbelievable, so evane..are going to get all the credit for it......bah i hate them