Evanescence........

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Well someone has to talk about them. I am a distinguished progger, not a nu-metal fan. I don't like techno mixed in my metal. I don't like female metal vocalists and I damned sure don't like rap mixed in with metal. Bzzzttt !!! That's more than three strikes, yet I am sitting here listening to it and I can't force myself to remove it from my player. Nu-metal or not, I have NEVER heard a girl sing like that. She is completely bad-ass !!!!!

Bryant

dill_the_devil said:
Yeah, I agree - I really didn't think I was gonna like Evanescence, and in some respects the music is fairly generic, but her voice really does lift the band above the current crop of nu-metal bandwagon jumpers...

I agree mostly, but the band actually does some cool layering with strings and stuff that is really cool and "proggy" though the guitarist seems very limited with his ability he has shown me. However, If this band grows into a little more technical approach (they are just teens) instead of going for the money, they could fuse their nu-metal with some more of the original aspects they have in their sound and be a real genre bender.

Bryant

im sorry but i just think they're complete lacuna coil rip-offs and lacuna coil are a million times better. sexy female singer with a good voice? male singer to back her up? melodic verses with riffy choruses? very very similar to lacuna coil. they're shite as well anyway

If you want great female vocals (better than that bitches) why not listen to some that accompany great music as well?

Try Ambeon - Fate of a Dreamer
After Forever - Prison of Desire
The Provenance - their album before their latest, I can't remember the name
The Project Hate - Your Flesh Will Be Ours

Haven't we all heard that one before. :rolleyes:

As far as the post goes, I haven't really heard anything except the single. And even then, I don't know what it's called. It hasn't caught my ear yet, maybe I should give it more attention. However, I'm really not sure if it's gonna be my cup of tea.

Umm... you people who listen to this crap do realize that Evanescence are Christian rock, right?

It's pretty blatant too. That fag from 12 Stones. Same label as Creed. A Living Sacrifice cover. Yadda yadda.

I mean, there's good Christian music (Extol, Believer, umm... that's all I think) and then there's generic shite (Mortification, Antestor, Evanescence, ect...).

Also, they are hardly teenagers. That dildo guitar player is going fucking bald.

she is a great singer and their music is catchy so it gets a TON of radio play. they are definatly raking in the cash. however i do see the lacuna coil resemblence. but i bet no one is gonna realize or care.
~gR~

Well, Amy Lee has a good voice, but that's about it.

And you have to remember that most people that DON'T know much about metal, mainstream music fans and people who take whatever MTV shoves in their face, have no idea who Lacuna Coil, Nightwish and the like are, and think Evanescence are the first moderately almost sort of heavy band with a female vocalist, which of course, they aren't.

Ol' Dirty Bastard said:
Umm... you people who listen to this crap do realize that Evanescence are Christian rock, right?

It's pretty blatant too. That fag from 12 Stones. Same label as Creed. A Living Sacrifice cover. Yadda yadda.

I mean, there's good Christian music (Extol, Believer, umm... that's all I think) and then there's generic shite (Mortification, Antestor, Evanescence, ect...).

Also, they are hardly teenagers. That dildo guitar player is going fucking bald.

Well, there's nothing wrong with being Christians and playing heavy music, and to be quite honest it's sad for the metal community that there are still people who are all WOHOO OH NO about it. That's just one reason I don't get along with a lot of metal fans, even though I'm a gigantic metal fan myself.
About Evanescence though, I have their indie debut (Origin) and I can pretty much verify that they've sold out on every level (musically, lyrically, and image wise). Amy Lee even has the record label dictating what weight she should be in order to look good and such. So on that note I won't be supporting them. They're just another band in the path of the rebellion as far as I'm concerned. Let's not make more hype by posting stuff about this overrated band... (no offense at all to the thread starter)

BTW, Extol are one of my favorite bands and I think they're one of the best out right now, good call there.

I happen to like them. Amy has a great voice...I see the resemblence to LC, but just in case you people don't realize, they only use the male singer on their single. Their single is also one of the weakest tracks on the album. Some of you people need to give them a fucking chance before you flame them. I wouldnt call them nu metal, or anything really relating to metal. They have some heavy guitar riffs here and there...but they are really just gothic-influenced alt. rock. However I do think that if their guitarist were a bit more varied with his riffs and leads, they could be even better.

No...I've been trying to track down their debut, but its been a lost cause thus far. Do you know of any places that carry it(in america)? Or anywhere I could get it online?

CONCLAVE OBSCURUM said:
Yeah.. they are quite good... but not thaat good.

Have you ever heard "Rain Felt Within"??.. somethig like nightwish but.. more progresive.
Yeah they are really good. I always thought it was Rainfall Within because of how the DJ said it. But you must be right.