Evil Darkness Tour A Fraud?

The_Q

No More Posts
Mar 29, 2003
www.metal-fan.org
You know I can't help but laugh at the whole Evil Darkness Tour. Not only the fact that they think they will fill arenas with a bands like they have been announcing but due to the fact that Gigantour didn't do very well. Gigantour had bands way more popular than anything on their tour. So here I am laughing at them when I get a e-mail today that they are dropping 2006 tour plans for Spring/ Summer 2007. Sounds like a Guns And Roses "Chinese Democracy" debaclement. I will say this right now. The Evil Darkness Tour WILL NOT HAPPEN. THIS TOUR IS ALL TALK AND IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER FRAUD! This is my opinion but I have to stand by it, because I honestly believe it. Think about it, all you have is a website to go by. Think about it.......

I have to totally agree, though I think that if they did it one place in like 4,000 person venue or so maybe even less then it would work. This whole tour thing there is no way it will work and even if they do it get it going, it will be the biggest financial loss in the history of the music industry.

On one hand, I completely agree with all of you. I think that the entire concept and expectations of the promoters on this tour idea was a complete pipe-dream.

But on the other hand, it's really sad. You would think that something well promoted with a bunch of very cool bands *would* be able to fill arenas ... just not here in the US.

I think that basically, someone in Europe looked at ProgPower and said, "Wow, we could do that all over the country and make a fortune!" OOOPS, think again there, Maynard!

Huh, the official letter on the site says that the Evil Darkness tour has been in plan for more than 2 years already. What did the early planning consist of, Chris Clai doodling bands on his math homework?

I thought the idea came up after he traveled a few hrs to see Nightwish on their first full US tour? Perhaps I'm a little off, but would that not be less than a year & a half?

Gigantour didn't do very well? The date I went to was packed. Maybe I went on an off day...??

chrisrules895 said:
Gigantour didn't do very well? The date I went to was packed. Maybe I went on an off day...??

Gigantour was a flop by industry expectations. There were several strong stops where attendance was 7,000+ (not sure of the Canadian figures). However, the average attendance was 3,500 based on the numbers reported on such places as Blabbermouth, etc. Instead of drawing a cross-genre of fans based on the diverse lineup, it only polorized the audience even more. You had the DT fans the Megadeth fans. The remaining bands did not pull in their own audience (i.e Dillinger Escape Band) for multiple reasons (hardcore fans hated the roster, ticket price to the same audience, venue settings, catch them on their regular tour, etc.).

Dream Theater are able to draw 2,000+ on the majority of their shows alone here in the States. The rest of the roster was only drawing 1,500ish on their own per show. That's piss poor considering what it was being billed as and that Megadeth was making a bit of a comeback.

Glenn H.

I don't think it is a fraud. I think they kid really thinks he can pull it off. It's a typical case of endless enthusiasm to the point where they ignore the realistically potential problems.

The PNC Art Center in Holmdel, NJ seats 7,000 and has room for another 10,000 on the lawn. Even with a strong pull from SymX for their home crowd and a large DT following in the area, the place seemed empty and the seats were only about 3/4 full for Gigantour. There was a clear division between the fans of the heavy stuff and the prog stuff. It was a formula that just didn't seem to work.

I don't think it's a fraud (it's not like they pre-sold a bunch of nonrefundable tickets or something), I just think these guys really don't know what they're doing. "Naive enthusiasm", if you will.

Actually, that term could be applied to their whole public persona. Their press statement (all their press statements, really) convey a naive, black-and-white mentality. Like when they say that everyone who "claimed this tour would fail" could "have a field day" and "rejoice for its fall" if they cancel in 2007. As if legions of metal fans are sitting at home praying for the failure of an arena tour of bands that they like. These guys don't seem to understand that all the seemingly negative comments they're hearing aren't people who want them to fail. No one who actively follows underground metal (which is anyone who would spend time on metal message boards) is sitting around hoping for it to fail. People are simply voicing realistic concerns about the feasibility of what's being planned... because they would rather see such a tour succeed than overreach itself and fall flat on its face.

But the big, powerful "businessmen" at "Contiga" seem to take every comment that's doesn't read like it was written by a cheerleader to be an attack on their hallowed dream tour. So now they apparently believe there's a whole bunch of people who are going to "have a field day" and "dance around" if this tour fails, not seeming to realize that a whole lot of people are actually just going to shrug with slight touch of disappointment but little or no surprise.

Then, as if releasing a public statement dripping with pointless "if you're not with us you're against us" invective wasn't enough, they follow up this boneheaded siege mentality by thanking "those who have stuck by the tour" (which I guess means the gung-ho, yes-man cheerleaders?), and say that they hope you will "understand our reasoning for rescheduling". Apparently though, they're expecting this understanding to come through some sort of psychic means, since earlier in the same press release they state that the postponement is occuring "due to factors we will not release publicly".

Oh well. All I can really say is, I wish these kids the best of luck. I hope I'm 100% wrong, and this tour can fill arenas across the US. But I won't exactly be gasping in surprise if it doesn't.