More on that spooky Evil Darkness Tour (I can't help myself)

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I continue to be in awe of this potential train wreck. I wish them all the luck in the world and hope it succeeds, but I'm buying stock in body bags.

Keep in mind the following:

1. ARENAS. Did I mention they were playing in ARENAS THAT HOLDS 20,000+.
2. Leaves Eyes is one of three headliners. I don't think LE could draw 20 people in Atlanta..where they are playing in an ARENA THAT HOLDS 20,000+.
3. There are 12 bands scheduled for this tour. Here is what the promoter posted in regards to set lengths:

"45 minutes for opening and supporting bands, 70 minutes for each headliner."

And the crowd goes wild...leading to the next post from the promoter in regards to how it will work:

"Only one stage, and the show starts at 9:20 AM at each arena and ends sometime around midnight. There will be 10 minutes between bands. accept when its headliners, then its around 20. Gotta give people time to eat n piss!
Although times are still pre-emptive which is why we haven't posted the set times officially. We won't be posting those until a few days before the tour. We are going to do practice runs in an undisclosed location where we will run through the tour as if we were on it, so we can clock the times."

That's 12 hrs of music. When was the last time you saw an ARENA THAT HOLDS 20,000+ up and ready for doors at 0900?

Let me repeat that last part...10 minute change-overs for 9 bands and 20 minute change overs for the headliners...who are playing in an ARENA THAT HOLDS 20,000+. My crew has to be laughing their ass off.

Having a hard time getting to the show? Hell, the promoter will come and get you:

Discuss and Post Locations You think Buses should go to to pick people up. The buses will come as long as people pay for it.
We will work with several Travel Agencies to try and negotiate this.
Please also state the show in which you are trying to go to.

Note
Florida will have limited Bus Travel Support. All other states will be posted as we decide.

Hell, I could go and on but I think you get my point.

Glenn H.

Glenn...

As much as this is all true, I can't help but laughing... your post is amazing...

I'm a fanboy of you... Please, go on with this....

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

This must have started in a thread I skipped.

These poor people have NO idea what they're in for!

Why do we all see the disaster it will be yet the
promoter doesn't? It's almost like he's never been
to a festival before to realize that a 12 hour event
in one day would be miserable. For everyone.

Keep us posted, Glenn! This is hilarious!

*fangirl*

Gack.

I hate festivals that start early and feature a pile of bands I either don't care about, or who I'd REALLY like to see but not at 9:30am for some minimal stage time.

10 minutes between sets? Uh-huh.

20 whole minutes between headliners? Uh-huh.

I wish Chris the best of luck, I really do. And I'm glad I'm not financially responsible for this tour, 'cause I'd be realllllly fuckin' scared.

Why can't festival promoters all think like Glenn? Quality over quantity. Reasonable expectations going into it. Etc.

What about the part of them using PPUSA's example of ticket price (when only having 8 bands vs 12) and success to say this can work? 800 ticket limit is a big difference from 20k. And I'm a hell of a lot more willing to spend $100 for the smaller crowd than ~$125 when I have to compete with 19,999 other people for front row general admission. And there's no way in hell I'm gettng up at 5:30 am to travel to NYC to be at MSG at 9 AM. And hotel is going to cost me over $100 for a single night. The issue here is, the more I look into a concert, the more excited I should get. Even with the chance of Within temptation headlining, the more I look into this show, the worse I feel about it's chance to succeed or whether I'll even attend. That's a lot of money for me to spend when PPVII will be just a month before.

When I first saw the initial notices about this tour, I thought it had to be some sort of April Fool's joke. Leaves Eyes???? Until a month ago, I'd never even heard of them. Glenn thinks they could draw 20 people in Atlanta?? I'll bet they'd draw about 5 in Phoenix. Even if they get the headliners they want, I see 300-400 MAX here in Phoenix. And they're listing a 14000 seat arena as the venue.

The first thing that comes to mind: how could any band take this seriously? The bands and their management would certainly see what an amateurish clusterf*** this is?

10.25 hours of music.
2 hours of proposed set changes.
2.25 hours left over.
(if my math is correct this early)....

Think this is a job for Mythbusters.

King Lek said:
10.25 hours of music.
2 hours of proposed set changes.
2.25 hours left over.
(if my math is correct this early)....
When you are an experienced, professional promoter you'll know the need to build a little bit of slack time into the schedule. It's all about risk management and contingency plans. He's also got a tie-in with Barnes & Noble and Starbucks to do unplugged shows at the local stores if for some crazy reason 18,000 people don't show up.

Joe

Joe-× said:
if for some crazy reason 18,000 people don't show up.

Joe

:lol:

Who is the promoter of this tour? Is there a website with all this nonsense on it?? I'd LOVE to see it work... but they're demanding an unrealistic amount of endurance from their crew and from the fans. I barely make it through PP :erk: This tour is going to be like all of PP squeezed into ONE DAY! o_O uh.... I'd be reluctant to attend.

mitchgx said:
When I first saw the initial notices about this tour, I thought it had to be some sort of April Fool's joke.
Yeah, I've figured from the start that the whole thing is just a hoax. A site created by the Infernal Combustion guys or something. Has anyone actually checked with any of the bands to see if the claims of "confirmation" are actually true? Maybe it's all just made up.

And even if it's not a joke (well, it's a joke either way, the only question is whether the "promoter" realizes it or not), I'm surprised how even the skeptical people are still talking like it's actually going to happen. There's no way it'll get that far; it's nearly a year away, and reality is bound to set in sometime well before then. And then the whole thing will just collapse and be forgotten about. Or, it'll just be reduced to a poorly-run club tour with Lullacry and Leaves Eyes opening and Nevermore headlining.

Hey Glenn,

Maybe you can answer this. Aren't the band's management/label reps smart enough to realize this is a train wreck, and that their bands would be better served looking for other options? I would think/hope, the labels/management companies are in tune with the market, and have enough insight to know this promoter is smoking crack.

Zod

This isn't going to be a train wreck, this will be a frigging nuclear arrmageddeon. God theis is Woodstock all over, except indoors. Hey i want the Bus to come here and pick me up. Think it will travel that far???? When will promoters learn? Glenn you need to make an instructional vidoe on how to do a festival.......NOT. Let them Drown, they can see what you do, and if they can't learn......SCREW THEM.

General Zod said:
Hey Glenn,

Maybe you can answer this. Aren't the band's management/label reps smart enough to realize this is a train wreck, and that their bands would be better served looking for other options? I would think/hope, the labels/management companies are in tune with the market, and have enough insight to know this promoter is smoking crack.

Zod

I am so in awe of the audacity of the thing that I don't have a clue. However, you will note that the bands confirmed don't exactly have anything to lose at the moment and little other options.

I think the best thing to do is rename the tour "Delusions of Grandeur 2006."