More on that spooky Evil Darkness Tour (I can't help myself)

I joined the street team mostly because I just wanted to meet all the bands. At first it didn't seem that outlandish, probably just because the bands they were talking about were big to me, so it seems like they must be big to everyone...
But then I started reading peoples' reactions to this tour. I started to realize that, hey, this is kind of crazy. Unfortunately, if you mention that to KillerPenguin (the forum name of the organizer/promoter/whatever he is), he just says "I have a successful internet radio show so I know what I'm doing." Someone told him he should book Iron Maiden or Evanescence or another big name band, and he completely blew them off and said that he didn't want any "filler bands," meaning bands that could actually fill the seats. He seems to equate people who are interested in goth rock/metal with people who will go to the shows.
Telling him that it's not going to work and that he should scale it down just doesn't work. Kind of makes me sad, I'm gonna be depressed when this flops.

Someone mentioned him losing thousands of dollars on the tour in a thread that is in the deleted section. He said (and I quote with 90% accuracy on the wording cause I'm too lazy to check):

"Thousands won't buy you a hooker. I'm spending millions."

Earth to KillerPenguin, come in please. Over.

Glenn H.

OK..let me post the accurate quote:

"20,000?! That can't buy you a damn hooker these days! I'm spending million biatch.."

Yes, he is being tongue in cheek. However, the sentiment is there. He did clarify the arena question and intends on downscaling the arena if necessary. However, this is the actual quote:

"And in event we get a few Thousand, and not the full house expected, then we will downgrade the arena space accordingly, but in an arena it will remain. Whether 2,000 people or 22,000 people."

Unreal... Go rent Madison Square Garden and then only put 2,000 people in it? (which is pushing it pending on who else is on this tour because filling B.B. King's would be a problem thus far.

Finally, He says Target (yes that fancy French store) is the primary sponsor of the tour. Look for the "Evil Darkness" full color flyers in your local newspapers on Sunday right next to the linen and floor cleaner coupons.

while this is no doubt a trainwreck, i will still be going assuming it comes to atlanta. i like leaves eyes a lot (just got off tour with them with my other band lilitu) and would like to support them. they at least deserve that, since someone conned them into this....

sh0kr0k said:
:rolleyes: Oi vey...

HIM and Tool woul.d be great headliners for this tour!! That I could see selling out larger mid-sized theaters, and if promoted right, large arenas.

HIM can certainly pack in a crowd, especially a really YOUNG crowd who would love bands like Lullacry and Leave's Eyes... Combine that force with Tools inexplicable ability to have fans of every walk of life, and this might actually happen.

... oh goodness - there's even a MySpace group for the tour :rolleyes:

Maynard would LAUGH at this tour...

Rick,

I'm going to crosspost what I said on another forum:

I think you did an excellent job in terms of courtesy and professionalism. I do realize that SC is connected to the tour and I think its a great thing for your store and you did what you had to do. I will be honest (nothing personal at all) and say that it was a "fluff" interview in which you couldn't really ask the hard questions or make the comments that several of us have said about the tour.

I won't repeat the things that I have said on my own forum questioning his sanity, but I would like to high to anyone else? Perhaps someone in the goth community could verify just how much influence the station has in terms of people listening?

I wish him luck, but being 19 years old and having a ton of money (from his family shares in their computer company in Flordia) & enthusiasm doesn't mean you are bulletproof and understand how the touring world works.

Glenn H