Evolution of your metal Tastes

I love lyrics and study them, but if the lyrics don't impress me but the band sounds amazing, then in the end that's what matters.

Early Kalmah (first four albums) is unbelievable. The Black Waltz is great too but sort of the beginning of something "different" from the band. After that they've gone way down hill but still have some decent songs scattered throughout.

If you like that modern take on melodeath check out Wolfheart's debut Winterborn.

Same. It's probably the only modern melodic death metal album that I can still tolerate. Kalmah tends to repeat themselves melody-wise, and for this I feel like they havent aged well, but they are still solid enough to be worth a listen.

Yeah, I was really getting into melodeath at the time and someone I worked with at an old job gave me that album on CD-R and it blew me away. The layering and orchestration was just incredibly done on that album.

For years I had understood music to be something special but never felt that I could truly relate to anything heard on the radio or seen on television. In my adolescence I was first impressed by bands like The Smashing Pumpkins, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie; not just musically but also visually. Naturally, I took interest in bands like Cradle of Filth and several (Norwegian) black metal bands and eventually branched out into death metal and other forms of metal. Simultaneously, I re-ignited my interest in non-metal genres as I delved deeper into goth rock, death rock, post-punk and other styles of music. I'm not the capricious or fickle type so I've never abandoned my interest in any of these bands or albums which were so formative to my youth and evolution thereafter.

I abandoned tons of early interests, I don't think it's really a matter of being fickle.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for doing so but I've never understood when people go through phases. If I genuinely find value in something I've got no reason to abandon it.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong for doing so but I've never understood when people go through phases. If I genuinely find value in something I've got no reason to abandon it.

Do you limit this to music? Because I can think of tons of films, political ideas, ideologies, books, television shows, cartoons and even people that I did like or adhere to at one point, but over the years fell out of touch or agreement with.

I always go through phases,even how I listen to music. Lately over the last few years life's been that stressful that instead of being in a state of mind that allows me to enjoy my music as I used to, I'm setting aside time to get fucked up and blast music as a form of escapism. As for certain bands and genres, I'm all over the show like a mad woman's shit and some of my favourites I've played to death and hardly listen to these days.

Do you limit this to music? Because I can think of tons of films, political ideas, ideologies, books, television shows, cartoons and even people that I did like or adhere to at one point, but over the years fell out of touch or agreement with.

It could simply be a function of how much self-knowledge a person has or if they even care to gain self-knowledge and understanding. I suppose I don't really adhere to anything half-heartedly. None of the aforementioned things really appealed to me until they really left an impression on me.

I feel the same way about books, TV and film with the exception that sometimes these may be specifically created for a certain age-demographic as opposed to being created for the sake of art; thus I don't expect adults to necessarily enjoy cartoons and films intended for children. I still enjoy the TV shows and films that I enjoyed during my formative years.

I think politics, ideologies and the like are in a different category than art and entertainment.

Death metal was the last style of metal that I really got into. One advantage that I had in not seeking it out until my sensibilities were well-honed is that I didn't ever listen to stupid melodeath or other garbage death metal.

Was into rock like Alice in Chains, System of a Down, and slipknot. Started listening to post hardcore in high school then progressed to bands like Deathspell, Dying Fetus, and Today is The Day.

Death Metal you derp.

Like personal favorites?

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Demilich - Nespithe
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness

That's the five albums that I could think of without dwelling on it.

Reactions: CiG
Hard Rock > Black Sabbath / Ozzy / Iron Maiden / Metallica and others (brother's stuff raided) > NWOBHM > Thrash and shocked by Slayer > Consolidation of metal stuff in general > 90's Death > everything else haphazardly.

Death metal was the last style of metal that I really got into. One advantage that I had in not seeking it out until my sensibilities were well-honed is that I didn't ever listen to stupid melodeath or other garbage death metal.
I agree that it is nice to skip out on bad music. The only problem with this is that it is easy to preemptively dismiss great bands/albums that are tangenting melodearh. For example Eucharist, Eternal Lies or A Canorous Quintet.