Examples of drum samples being used in major records

Which album(s) were you talking about for example?

No specified album, just that people tend to talk about stuff they have very limited knowledge about.. like the guy talked about in the recent "how do convince drummer" (or something like that) thread.

Maamar Huq, not even gonna go there.. lets just keep it at we have different opinions ;)

a bit unrelated but i cant understand when bands are apprehensive about samples - especially when their kits arent very good, have old skins, arent in ideal acoustic situations and arent using $10000's worth of gear. many of the samples you can blend in can remedy this somewhat.

thats not to say that its not best to get the best out of what you have - but at the end of the day there is only so many ways the drum will sound, and very often you'll want a slightly different sound to what the kit can offer.

Weren't most of the 80's/early 90's metal records all natural, simply because they couldn't sample? If they did, how was sampling done then?

nope Gaucho by steely Dan in 1979 was the first record that i know of that had Sample replacement (roger nichols)
THAT FUCKING LONG AGO
first machine was called a wendel.

People also loaded samples into ams reverbs with a sample feature and triggered them from there.

pretty much anything CLA has done recently
Hell even Fucking Nevermind has drum samples on it (yes i know thats Andy Wallace)... albeit done a LOT slower than drumagog

i've seen an interview w/ wallace where he said he almost always blends samples on the drums, even in the pre-DAW days...

a bit unrelated but i cant understand when bands are apprehensive about samples - especially when their kits arent very good, have old skins, arent in ideal acoustic situations and arent using $10000's worth of gear. many of the samples you can blend in can remedy this somewhat.

this is when you just throw down some drumagog tracks behing their back, and let them think it's their kit that they're hearing...then they get all :worship: while you're all :Smug:

this is when you just throw down some drumagog tracks behing their back, and let them think it's their kit that they're hearing...then they get all :worship: while you're all :Smug:

This is usually how I get around pissy drummers wanting "their sound." Just tell them it's their kit. You aren't exactly lying. Whatever it takes to get the best sound... that's my way of thinking, if the drumset sounds like shit, you can only do so much to it. I have worked with so many bands that think the drum sound I gave them is their all-natural kit. Drummers going on about "I can't get over how you got my snare to sound like that, it's awesome," yeah - it's awesome right? :Smug: