Fav' "heavy" bands

I just downloaded Nile's Execration Text. Man!! when the other song is slow this one is extreemily fast and technical. Man, these guys take the phrigian dominant/harmonic minor ideas right out of Yngwie, then they speed it up 10000 times, then add some harmony and make them egyptian and put them in a 7-stting. Some of this stuff is fucking baddass!!! The solo's pretty cool aswell.

What do you guys think of Nile? Noones suggested it before?

I actually meant to suggest Nile. Egyptian Death Metal at its best. Nile can be sickeningly fast in some songs, and just as technical at the same time. Some of it has made honestly me hold my breath with its speed. They've got a bunch of good solos but I think that's what they can work on... the frequency of the solos, but that's just preference.

Hey Mr. Shred-Ididle, defineately check out Martyr from Canada and their album "Warp Zone". Awesome technical Death/Trash with killer riffs and lots of fusion influences, the guitar player really knows his stuff, his playing reminds me of Allan Holdsworth, Scott Henderson or Greg Howe. You'll love them if you're into Cynic and Meshuggah. Also check out Theory in practice from Sweden for some awesome technical Death Metal. They also use keyboards, have lots of odd time sigs, changes, killer riffs, awesome solos. They do a lot of keyboard/guitar stuff like COB, Viatlij Kuprij, Symphony X, Rising Force etc., but they defineatley qualify as techncial US style Death Metal.
You might also want to check out my band Necrophagist if you're into technical Death Metal with some shredding at http://www.necrophagist.de
Go to the downloads section and check out the two songs. For the people who heard of the band, I'm not Muhammed, I'm the new second guitarist (I don't play on those samples, they were done long before I entered the band).
More on the melodic Death/Black Metal side, I defineately recommend to check out At the gates (Slaughter of the soul) and Dissection (Storm of the light's bane). Awesome stuff!

Lol I downloaded some The Berzerker songs a while ago, I didn't quite like it. They all started with some newsflash thingie and after that every time the same boring deathy noise.

Dark Tranquility is cool indeed. Vintersorg rocks! Download Borknagar - Colossus! And for more Vintersorg Otyg - Trollslottet, but that's not very heavy :D (AWESOME addicting song though)

Otyg is a different thing altogetehr... folk metal. Vintersorg is the singer. Also, collossus by borknagar is from quintiscese (sp?) and Vortex is the vocalist... you may know him from dimmu now... bass and clean vocals. He doesn't hold a candle to vintersorg... get the genuine pulse or soul sphere or the view of everlast by borknagar. They are awesome as all hell.
as for vintersorg, get anything off the visions from the spiral generator album.. .its rocks.

and by the way, trollslottet is a very cool addicting song. Oh, one last note on otyg. They did a killer folk style cover of Holy Diver by dio... it's worth listening to... i really like it. Not everyone's thing, but its' fun.

sorry, one more thing. If you are interested in vintersorg's vocals (i think he is one of the best) and want somethign a bit more unconventional, check out havayoth... it's a project he and some otehrs did and it's really cool... Kinda poppy/techno sometimes, but it's fucking killer. Definately worth listening to.

I got Nile's In their Dakened shrines today!
Fucking unbeleivable! Insane, technical, speedy, egyptian death. Some of the fastest solo's, riffs and drumming i've heard. EXTREEMILY technical.
This is nuts!!!

Good choice with that Nile CD. One of my fav death metal bands. Dunno if I've recommended them to you yet, but you should check out Kataklysm. Absolutely crushing death metal that still retains melody.

I would highly suggest checking out Origin.

www.mp3.com/vomityouout

If you thought Nile was fast, wait until you hear them. Some excellent sweep picking in the middle with the 3 prong vocal attack all throughout. The definition of insanity.

Also, don't be afraid to check out more from the non-melodic death side of death metal. All the prog snobs here keep recommending the same tired old gothenburg bands. I would highly recommend checking out Death (all their albums are amazing, ignore the prog fanboys), they are arguably as prog as Symphony X or Andromeda, any and all Morbid Angel (especially the first 2 albums), and most importantly...

VEHEMENCE!! This, in my opinion, is how melodic death metal should sound. Unlike all the Gothenburg bands, this American (!) band remembers to keep the "Death metal" in "melodic death metal". Hope I have been of service.

OK, "Nephren-Ka" is blaring on my stereo right now. Here's what I like...The Egyptian melodies...especially when they put harmonious bends into their trem picking sequences. The instrumentation is solid from what I can tell.

Here's what I don't like...
The Vocals: :yuk:
They are just bland and weak for Death Metal
Fast (trem-pickeed) sequences on that low 7th string:
When things are played fast at really low frequencies, it is hard to distinguish what it actually happening. To me it sounds like mud. When used for slow, chunky, doomy rythms, 7 strings can provide some ass kicking power, but for fast trem picking shit? They suck. Production has a ways to go as well.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
OK, "Nephren-Ka" is blaring on my stereo right now. Here's what I like...The Egyptian melodies...especially when they put harmonious bends into their trem picking sequences. The instrumentation is solid from what I can tell.

Here's what I don't like...
The Vocals: :yuk:
They are just bland and weak for Death Metal
Fast (trem-pickeed) sequences on that low 7th string:
When things are played fast at really low frequencies, it is hard to distinguish what it actually happening. To me it sounds like mud. When used for slow, chunky, doomy rythms, 7 strings can provide some ass kicking power, but for fast trem picking shit? They suck. Production has a ways to go as well.

Nile has never used a 7 string guitar...I don't know what you are talking about.