Fav' "heavy" bands

Mr. Shred-ididle

Its Chinese-Tilt ya' head
Jan 25, 2003
Ok, I've been getting into alot of the heavier side of metal lately. A couple of months ago I was a total "prog only snob" and hated anything with growls. Opeth fixed that :). I still don't have many Death or anything Cd's or knowledge. but these are my favourite heavy bands
1. Opeth
2. COB
3. Meshuggah
4. Siolwork (i have Fig-no-5 and like it, but every one else thinks it's nothing compared to theire earlier stuf, so I can imagine how good the early stuff is)
5. ?

Their the only real Death/Thrash/Black/whatever... bands I have. From the revies and talk I''ve seen I'm going to check out Cynic, Death and In flames real soon.

So whats your top 5 heavy bands.

And what other darker bands do you recomend me? They have to be either technical, progressive, melodic or cool. I don't want any bands that are being br00t01 for Br00t01's sake (eg. Cannible Corpse):wave:

I can only listen to the ultra-melodic extreme stuff :

1) Children of Bodom - Simply the best
2) In-Flames - Gothenburg sound rocks
3) Dawn of Relic - Dramatic/melodic heavy stuff from Finland
4) Cradle of Filth
5) My Dying Bride - Doom for those dark days

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Their not a Death/Black. Their prog.

I want some growling death music.

but they're heavy

ain't that what you asked for?

growling doesn't equal heavy... it's merely another texture

Ok, that was misworded in my part. I was meaning Death metal. Totaly understand where you're coming from...

Dimmu Borgir. I can't stress how much you need to pick up Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Its black metal, not death metal, but if you dig symphonic shit, you'll LOVE this album (since you're only 13 you might have to hide the cover from your mom though hehe). And hey, Stephan Forte likes em ;).

Predators Portrait by Soilwork is definetely an awesome album. In Flames Albums such as Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman are also killer. Of course I love COB and Opeth. Also, how about Arch Enemy...a girl growler as good as any guy!

As metalchick said Arch Enemy is allright. You might want to try Therion, they're good. Death is weird but everyone's got their own opinion.

My top Bands:
Opeth
Therion (start with the Vovin album)
Sinergy

to Needled24Seven, Sinergy's unique vocals are what made that band worth listening to.

another few bands i forgot about shreddie, are Merciful Fate, King Diamond, and Lacuna Coil.

Shred, you'd probably like Arch Enemy because it's more melodic, but still very much Death. Kind of like what I wish In Flames turned out to be. (They suck now) Arch Enemy has the Ammot Bros on guitar. And speaking of Ammot,
Anyone remember Carcass?!!!! They fucking rule too. Get Heartwork, their best album, and one of the best Death metal albums ever.
At the Gates is pretty good, Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul are the best. The singer is really annoying though.
I never got to see Carcass before they split up, but I did see At the Gates, they were pretty awesome live. And their drummer, who is in Cradle of Filth now and looks like a vampire, back then was just a dorky lookin mofo. His playing in ATG is rather monotonous. My buds and I joked about At The Gates beat number 1. Good melodic death metal though.
Hipocrasy is another decent melodic death metal band. Most of their stuff is slower, but they have some really cool songs. The album Abducted is my fav. Of course Death was a pioneer in Death Metal, and then turned out to be a pioneer in Melodic Death and some Prog Death too. Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic (the best), and The Sound of Preserverance will be most up your alley. If you did it go for Spiritual Healing too, its more raw but still melodic and James Murphy plays lead on it too.
I love Morbid Angel too. The latest album isn't that great, but I think Domination (their best) and Formulas Fatal to the Flesh just have some awesome riffs and melodies on them. Trey is no virtuoso, but he has to be one of death metals most creative artists.
Cradle of Filth have a lot of melodic elements and atmospheric things going on, but it really gets repetitive after a couple hours. And that horrid Dani filth....you may think its cool when he shreiks, but again the coolness will wear off.
Dummy Burger owns in the realm of symphonic goth I think.

Of course, if you want to hear tr00 Death Metal, check out "In the Zoo" on the It's Bad project. You can find it on my website.

Origin is probably the heaviest band there is. Insane, chaotic songstructures, fast guitar riffing, three-part growlingharmonies and the best drummer you`ll ever hear in the genre. HIGHLY recommended. Cryptopsy is in the same vein, incredibly fast and chaotic, extremely heavy and with a drummer to die for (no pun intended). Once you see beyond the overhyped Angela Gossow (who sadly is a victim of the horniness of thousands of metal-adolescents, who probably don`t care about her average growling) and to the older Arch Enemy records, there`s a lot of good melodic death there.

If you want to get out into the realms of borderline noise, Anaal Nathrakh is a good way to start. They have passable production, unlike so many of the "grim" and "kvlt" Norwegian black metal bands, and though they are an aquired taste due to their loud and brash music, I can certainly say that considering what they do, the quality of it is impeccable. I second the recommendations of Death (Sound of Perseverance, Human, Spiritual Healing), Soilwork (Predators Portrait, Chainheart Machine). Both of these bands are really, REALLY good. If your ears are prepared for it (which they most likely aren`t), try some of the "tr00" black metal bands. I (barely) recommend Burzum (Det Som En Gang Var), Ulver (Nattens Madrigal) and Mayhem (De Mysteriis Dom Satanis). They require heavy listening to appreciate fully, and the production is some of the worst you`ll ever hear (and that`s what they were aiming for)...

Why would anyone WANT the worst production? Just seems silly to me.

Hey, I got this from the JP board, their called "Exivous". They're very technical death. Some people were saying they're Cynic clones (but I can't make judgment 'coz i've never heard Cynic music) The vocals are horrible(!). no, not the growling vocals - but there is synth vocals. FOr once in a song I was waiting to hear the death vox. The synth vocals sound like they're a computer or something (which they are) but the music is like spiral Architect in technicallity (not quite, but you get the idea)

But thanks guys, you've been a real help. Keep the suggestions coming.

Well, I guess the production accurately portrayed the mood they were aiming for, or something like that. As you will no doubt understand after you are immersed in the scene, good and clean production is neither "tr00" or "grim".