Fav' "heavy" bands

Fine...then they use a 6-string tuned down like 5 whole steps or whatever...I'm talking about playing on the top string tuned all the way down to C, B, or lower...
It is so low and muddy that it sounds like complete shit. That could be just me though, maybe others can pick up those low frequencies and distinguish all of them when they are played at light speed.

I see you're a Jeff Loomis wannabe...Nevermore can get away with it (7-string or 6-string tuned really low), because they are just cranking out Heavy riffs on it, not death metal or fast thrash riffs. Their new album is coming soon, can't wait!

the_satanic_rabbit said:
That could be just me though, maybe others can pick up those low frequencies and distinguish all of them when they are played at light speed.

i know what u mean...maybe they just try to hide they're technical speed problems in riffs by doing that....lol...

Yeah the new Nevermore album will indeed kickass (I know, as I've heard most of it). I'm not a fan of Nephren-Ka myself, but I just wanted to point out that they never used 7 strings.

And yes, I am a Jeff Loomis wannabe :)

Um... philosopher... 2 things. One, i think someone DID mention death... in fact, i thought i did. Second, Death is technical death metal IMO... not like spiral architect technical... but... dude.

I agree but you could consider Death to be prog on the grounds that their sound was ever evolving, not to mention the often progressive song structures. I always considered them extreme progressive metal.

first page:
"Of course Death was a pioneer in Death Metal, and then turned out to be a pioneer in Melodic Death and some Prog Death too. Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic (the best), and The Sound of Preserverance will be most up your alley. If you did it go for Spiritual Healing too, its more raw but still melodic and James Murphy plays lead on it too."

2nd page:
"Death - Symbolic, the vocals really irritate me. The high shrieks don't do much. But the music is really cool. The opening riff gave me a skew idea of what Death is about but then at 0:45, I really digged it. Great solo, drumming and technicallity. Cool."

sorry... dunno the quote tag... what the hell is it?

and i guess it was on a different thread that i mentioned death. *frowns*... dunno... can't remember. also, origin was mentioned.

I think I perfur the more technical extreem death than the melodic "gothenberg" death.
I'm going to get Cynic or Death next..
Thanks for the help

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
Ok, I've been getting into alot of the heavier side of metal lately. A couple of months ago I was a total "prog only snob" and hated anything with growls. Opeth fixed that :). I still don't have many Death or anything Cd's or knowledge. but these are my favourite heavy bands
1. Opeth
2. COB
3. Meshuggah
4. Siolwork (i have Fig-no-5 and like it, but every one else thinks it's nothing compared to theire earlier stuf, so I can imagine how good the early stuff is)
5. ?

Their the only real Death/Thrash/Black/whatever... bands I have. From the revies and talk I''ve seen I'm going to check out Cynic, Death and In flames real soon.

So whats your top 5 heavy bands.

And what other darker bands do you recomend me? They have to be either technical, progressive, melodic or cool. I don't want any bands that are being br00t01 for Br00t01's sake (eg. Cannible Corpse):wave:
I listen to a lot of different kinds of metal.

Death-metal:
Soilwork (get "A Predator's Portrait" - it kicks FNF's ass!)
Meshuggah
The Crown
Theory In Practice
Strapping Young Lad
Arch Enemy
Into Eternity
In Flames
Extol (kick-ass)
And of course Opeth, but they are more prog than death.

Goth-metal:
Trail of Tears (great band)
Tristania
The Sins of Thy Beloved
Sirenia
After Forever

Black-influenced:
Borknagar
Vintersorg
Hammers of Misfortune
Agalloch

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
What wicked giutar playing and harmonies in "Flesh and the Power it holds"!

I KNOW! that's maybe one of the best songs of death, SOME feeling!
SOME SPEED!!!! AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I don't know...I always thought the higher pitched vocals of The Sound of Perseverance would be harder on the ears to someone still new to death metal and all that. But its still excellent no doubt.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
I think I perfur the more technical extreem death than the melodic "gothenberg" death.
I'm going to get Cynic or Death next..
Thanks for the help

Me too! I fucking love technical Death. Theory in practice, Martyr, Cynic, Atheist, Death, Cryptopsy, Suffocation, Meshuggah, awesome stuff. It's a very underrated genre. Defineately get Cynic's Focus, untouchable. The best Death albums (from both a technical and songwriting point of view) are Individual thought patterns (the best by far), Human (with two guys from Cynic) and Symbolic. The sound of perserverance is great as well, but IMO not up to the others I've mentioned.

AGGGGGHHHHHH, when you've been rejected by a chick and your dog might not live past tonight, ther is nothing better than some fucking CRYPTOPSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOAR....AND INVISION....SOAR VISION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha Shred your life is over. If you've been rejected by one chick, every other one will reject you. They can smell your phailure, like a dog smells fear.