Favorite bands with higher register vocalists...

Burkhard said:
+
Agent Steel
Forbidden
Watchtower
Hades
Toxik

Ah yes, I haven't heard a lot of Agent Steel, not sure where to begin. I do like Bernie Versailles guitarwork though in ENGINE. I know they are two totally different spectrums... ENGINE is like my DEFTONES. What a meeting of musicians, too.

I mentioned WATCHTOWER. Do you prefer McMaster or Techio on vocals?

I have Control and Resistance, and, whilst the music is very good, I can't stand that damn vocalist.

Papa Josh said:
Ah yes, I haven't heard a lot of Agent Steel, not sure where to begin.

I only have got the first two albums with John Cyriis on vocals, and if I still listen to one of them, it´s usually their debut "Skeptics Apocalypse". (I got it on christmas ´85 together with Helloween´s "Walls Of Jericho" and Fates Warning´s "The Spectre Within" - what a memorable day!:) ) As for the new stuff, I may have heard one or two songs on those CD-samplers you usually get nowadays (at least here in Germany) when you buy a metal-magazine, but they didn´t impress me that much. As I already wrote in another thread: If I was new to metal, I might have thought something like "Wow, great!", but of those bands from the eighties that I still listen to (at least from time to time), I usually think that their first releases are their best ones. ("First releases" in this case can also mean their second and/or third album.)

I mentioned WATCHTOWER. Do you prefer McMaster or Techio on vocals?
Can´t really say, but I definitely like the music on "Control And Resistance" better. Actually, I´m not exactly a big fan of Alan Tecchio´s vocals. The main reason why I mentioned Watchtower and Hades was because I like the music very much (in the case of Hades especially their debut "Resisting Success"). I mean, the thread title was "favourite bands with higher register vocalists" and not "favourite higher register vocalists". If I had to pick my favourite vocalists of the bands mentioned in this thread thus far, I´d say - without much hesitation - James Rivera and Russ Anderson.

Papa Josh said:
A-fucking-men.

I just got the Priest dvd Electric Eye.

It has a BBC performance of it back from like 76. Halford had LONG hair.

Awesome.
Oh yeah, I got that for xmas :cool: rightly, it is FUCKING KILLER. Most music DVDs/tapes I can't sit down with for a great length of time but I've been watching this one over and over. Those songs from The Old Grey Whistle Test are cool to see, though I was a bit disappointed with Dreamer Deceiver :erk: I say again, FUCKING KILLER DVD!!!

I've been jamming Watchtower's re-release of Energetic Disassembly lately with Jason McMaster (future Dangerous Toys rocker!!). Shit is mindblowing. Billy White is an incredible guitarist. He also did a great job mimmicking George Lynch's style on Don Dokken's Up From the Ashes solo album, back when Dokken originally broke up after Back for the Attack.

I actually really like the old Angra singer. I also love that Khan guy that was in Conception and Kamelot. Thats about all I can stomach; the rest of the power/prog castrated singer scene does nothing for me.

Vio-Lence
Maiden
Overkill
Burzum
Hendrix (?)
Zeplin when there not being dirty hippies.
Ac/Dcizzle.

Blind Guardian Rhapsody Edguy Drangforce Elvenking (YOUR GOD DAMN RIGHT I LIKE POWER METAL YOU GOD DAMN PUSSIES! ::gets defensive::)

speed said:
I actually really like the old Angra singer. I also love that Khan guy that was in Conception and Kamelot. Thats about all I can stomach; the rest of the power/prog castrated singer scene does nothing for me.

That is so bizarre. Of all the traditional vocalists, Andre Matos and Khan could quite possibly be as gay as they come. Khan not only sings like George Michael, he even looks like him (in all that PVC and overgrown stubble). I used to like Kamelot until I saw them live. :tickled:

As JK said, some people have an interesting take on what a "high register vocalist" is. Russell Allen and Jorn Lande seem far, far from being considered in a "high register".

Back in the day, the two that come to mind are Tony Harnell of TNT and Midnight of Crimson Glory. Modern day singers that come to mind would be Lance King (though he has a wide range) of Pyramaze and Corey Brown of Magnitude 9.

Zod

getout.jpg

Most of my favourite bands have this kind of singers
Queensryche
Psychotic Waltz
Fates Warning
Manowar
Nevermore (and Sanctuary - thats the absolute .. "voice height"
Rush
I must mention Deadly Blessing too and their great "Ascend From Cauldron" album, Ski (the band's singer) sang some of the higher notes ever heard in metal
Overall that type of singing is my favourite i must say. OAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

General Zod said:
As JK said, some people have an interesting take on what a "high register vocalist" is. Russell Allen and Jorn Lande seem far, far from being considered in a "high register".

Back in the day, the two that come to mind are Tony Harnell of TNT and Midnight of Crimson Glory. Modern day singers that come to mind would be Lance King (though he has a wide range) of Pyramaze and Corey Brown of Magnitude 9.

Zod

Tony Harnell is a fucking awesome vocalsit. I used to jam with this guy that could hit every note on Desperate Night from Tell No Tales. Memories... :Spin:

Midnight was awesome too. He has a website and a new album coming out. It is a very interesting site.