Favorite Black Metal Band!!!

Satyricon, Immortal, Dissection, Carpathian Forest, Dimmu Borgir, Old Man's Child, Naglfar, Marduk, Graveland, Absu, Bloodthorn, Enslaved, Dark Funeral, EVOL, HEcate Enthroned, Limbonic Art, Mystic Circle, Susperia, Zyklon. Oh yeah, you could probably count some of the older Cradle Of Filth as black metal so I'll throw them into the pot.

And yes, I have the bonus Dimmu DVD as well. Well worth the money in my opinion...

I'm gonna stick to the raw stuff
Immortal and Mayhem are my favorites of those
Of course Emperor is my fav.
Dimmu
Borknagar
some others....not so raw

Probably Emperor, though I don't listen to that many black metal bands, even fewer true ones.

Rotting Christ.....i've never understood why people call them black metal. Their early albums have nothing to do with black metal, true or symphonic or whatever. Absolutely nothing. It's only their later (crappy) albums that are vaguely black metal-ish.

Hey Dead Silent Slumber are cool - but not blackmetal...

I agree with many and most of the mentioned bands, so I don´t wanna waste time in re-writing them.
BUT... But, but, but... You all forgot a band which even in newer time exists as being one of the best...

Ladies and gentlemen.. It is with honour I introduce.... TAAKE!!!

~UlvedaL~ said:
Hey Dead Silent Slumber are cool - but not blackmetal...
BUT... But, but, but... You all forgot a band which even in newer time exists as being one of the best...
Ladies and gentlemen.. It is with honour I introduce.... TAAKE!!!
I also think TAAKE is the best new Black Metal act to appear in the last couple years and would make my top 15 alltime BM list.

Yes Taake are superb one of my fave black metal bands. Anyway my favorite black metal band without question are Emperor other favorites include Satyricon, Darkthrone, Ulver, Dimmu Borgir, Immortal, Taake, Burzum, Dissection, Borknagar.

FailingAcension said:
I'm gonna stick to the raw stuff
Immortal and Mayhem are my favorites of those
Of course Emperor is my fav.
Dimmu
Borknagar
some others....not so raw

Raw stuff??? Immortal, Mayhem, Emperor, Dimmu?????

Dude, you gotta get out more!! :)

Absolutely ESSENTIAL black metal follows:

BLACK WITCHERY
BEHERIT
BATHORY (first three albums)
ANTAEUS
ARCHGOAT
VON
DARKTHRONE
KRIEG
BESATT
GOAT VOMIT

Gory Elephant said:
Raw stuff??? Immortal, Mayhem, Emperor, Dimmu?????

Dude, you gotta get out more!! :)

Absolutely ESSENTIAL black metal follows:

BLACK WITCHERY
BEHERIT
BATHORY (first three albums)
ANTAEUS
ARCHGOAT
VON
DARKTHRONE
KRIEG
BESATT
GOAT VOMIT

I think I'm the only person who doesn't like Krieg. Oh well. You listed a few of the bands I was going to put down...here's my list anyway:

Emperor - minus the last two albums
Carpathian Forest
Tsjuder
Sigh, even though they are just WEIRD sounding anymore
Blasphemy
Grand Belial's Key
Burzum
Enslaved
Immortal
Absu

tara said:
I think I'm the only person who doesn't like Krieg. Oh well. You listed a few of the bands I was going to put down...here's my list anyway:

Emperor - minus the last two albums
Carpathian Forest
Tsjuder
Sigh, even though they are just WEIRD sounding anymore
Blasphemy
Grand Belial's Key
Burzum
Enslaved
Immortal
Absu

You know what? I have never heard Enslaved before. Considering the my taste in black metal (on the list I made earlier), which of their album's would you recommend I check out?

The best Enslaved album is VIKINGLIGR VELDÍ, their debut. It's simply one of the greatest black metal albums ever. Also check out the split w/Emperor, HORDANES LAND, and of course the milestones FROST and ELD. BLODHEMN is good too. The rest of their stuff is also good, but not exactly black metal.

henrikmain said:
The best Enslaved album is VIKINGLIGR VELDÍ, their debut. It's simply one of the greatest black metal albums ever. Also check out the split w/Emperor, HORDANES LAND, and of course the milestones FROST and ELD. BLODHEMN is good too. The rest of their stuff is also good, but not exactly black metal.

Very good, sir. Thanks for the recommendations.

henrikmain said:

Is this album still in print??
My favorites from Enslaved are Blodhemn and Frost.
Just thought I would throw in my $0.02. :)

I take it you mean Vikingligr Veldi? Yes, I saw it in a record store in Oslo not long ago. So if you want it, you could just board a plane and come over to the fair country o' Norway :p