Favorite cd of all time??

MDB - The Angel and the Dark River is definitely up there for me.

probably...

Symphony X - V:...
Ulver - Themes from Wm. Blake's..., Perdition City
Nevermore - Enemies of Reality
and of course...

Clutch - Blast Tyrant

:)

alphabetic, can't choose one or rank:

Anathema - Judgement
Antimatter - Planetary Confinement
Dan Swanö - Moontower
Death - Human
Death - Symbolic
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Slumber - Fallout

Devin Townsend - Terria
Opeth - Still Life
Enslaved - Below the Lights
Therapy? - Semi-Detached

Opeth-Blackwater Park
Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
Porcupine Tree-Coma Divine
Anathema-Judgement
Incubus-s.c.i.e.n.c.e
Pantera-Vulgar
Carcass-Heartwork
Death-Sound of Perseverance
...damn I forgot Down-Nola(Been listening to it since 94' nonstop, Its one of those cd's I never get sick of)

Dear lord, this will be hard to do..
Here are some that immediately pop into my head, though I am sure I will forget a lot......

Misfits - Walk Among Us
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
HammerFall - Legacy of Kings
Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure (And no, I am not ball-washing here)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Hey it's appreciated Jason, seriously. It's nice to know we rank so high in someone's list.

Take away the Hammerfall and Iced Earth, and I basically agree with the rest of the cds you listed. I dunno if I like "Walk Among Us" moreso than "Legacy of Brutality" though. They're neck and neck.

For Pink Floyd I'd probably pick "Meddle" over "Wish You Were Here', but WYWH is am amazing album nonetheless.

I'm still trying to listen to "Still Life" and appreciate it on the level that so many of you guys do.....I just don't seem to get the same feeling for it. :\

I'm still trying to listen to "Still Life" and appreciate it on the level that so many of you guys do.....I just don't seem to get the same feeling for it. :\

Larry made me feel guilty on Sunday, so I went out and bought Ghost Reveries with the DVD included... This is my least favorite Opeth CD. Still Life ranks high for me on the Opeth list.

So there you go Larry, I bought a CD recently. :lol:

I know a lot of old school Opeth fans that actually don't like GR. Probably because it was just released on Roadrunner, but it does have something different about it. It may just the full time addition of Per Wiberg, I don't know.

That's just what I get from the people I associate myself with who like Opeth.

My favorite albums... The order might change a bit depending on what band I'm digging the most or what album I'm listening to at the moment, and it sometimes changes when I discover new albums or get tired of old ones, but this is basically it right now:

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Strapping Young Lad - City
Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours, Turn Loose the Swans, The Angel and the Dark River
Opeth - Blackwater Park, Still Life, My Arms Your Hearse, Ghost Reveries
Death - Symbolic, The Sound of Perseverance
DevilDriver - The Fury of Our Maker's Hand
Anathema - Judgement
Down - NOLA

And anything by Megadeth and Pantera.

Well heres some of my favs :p

Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust
Emperor - Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
Death - Symbolic
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Novembers Doom - The Pale Haunt Departure/The Knowing
Subterranean Masquerade - Suspended Animation Dreams
Atheist - Elements
Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse
Mayhem - Ordo Ad Chao
Testament - The New Order
Hate Forest - Purity
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors

I dunno if I like "Walk Among Us" moreso than "Legacy of Brutality" though. They're neck and neck.

Well, Legacy was never a proper release, so I didn't count it.
My fav era of the Misfits was the Bobby Steele era (IE - Night of the Living Dead EP through the Beware 12").

As far as Opeth goes, since many mentioned them, I favor Ghost Reveries over Deliverance. Though, for whatever reason, they aren't a band I listen to much these days (Probably from overplaying them for a few years)

Yeah I don't get all technical about what Misfits albums were 100% legit or not LOL Their whole back catalog is so screwy anyhow. I just prefer the particular mixes they used for the songs on "Legacy..." over others. "Walk Among Us" does probably have more of my favorite songs on it I guess. But "Legacy..." has "Hybrid Moments" and therefore wins, haha.

So as for Opeth...."Still Life" has amazing playing, very technical, progresive, etc. From a musicians standpoint I can surely appreciate it. But those songs don't stick in my head nearly as much as most of their other output. I'm definitely more a fan of their stuff like "Deliverance", "Drapery Falls", "Harvest", "April Ethereal", etc.....songs that are a bit more structured and catchy.

I was slow to grow to appreciate "Ghost Reveries", but I like it considerably more now than before. Some great hooks on that album. But, in what many Opeth fans would probably consider sacrilege, I actually like the video edit of "The Grand Conjuration" better than the album version. My tolerance for the 10 minute songs is getting weaker as time goes by.

Opeth really should vary their songstructues. Just 'cause they know how to do 10-12 minute songs doesn't mean they should clog down entire cd's with 'em like it's a have-to. If they did an album with some heavy songs clocking in at perhaps 5-6 minutes and mixed 'em up with the classic numbers I'd probably get a new appreciation for Opeth. The requirement being that the songs actually are good :lol:

Larry - I know more details about the Misfits and their career / catalog than one should know. At one point, I had every official release on every color vinyl, except for the original Cough / Cool. Being a vinyl junkie and a Misfits fanboy was NOT a good mix for the wallet!!! :lol:

Ok, back on topic, here are a few more albums I thought of that I can't believe I missed the first time I replied to this.....

Angel Witch - S/T
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys - Part I
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys - Part II
Motorhead - 1916
VoiVod - Dimension Hatross
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Still Life has all the elements of Metal and Prog that I love so much, and a few of the songs just got stuck in my soul, I guess you could say. The guitar playing in the mellow songs is just sublime, especially in Face of Melinda. It's just one of those albums I fell in love with the first time I heard it, and it has a way of bringing me back up when I'm down. Serenity Painted Death is just so delightfully wicked and nasty :heh:

I know a lot of old school Opeth fans that actually don't like GR. Probably because it was just released on Roadrunner, but it does have something different about it. It may just the full time addition of Per Wiberg, I don't know.

That's just what I get from the people I associate myself with who like Opeth.
Per is a great addition...and if anything he is going to help them create more of a prog element to their music. Just watching him on the GR spec.edit.DVD when him and Mikael are jamming it sounds so fucking wicked!:kickass: Opeth is only going to get better in my opinion.

Larry - I know more details about the Misfits and their career / catalog than one should know. At one point, I had every official release on every color vinyl, except for the original Cough / Cool. Being a vinyl junkie and a Misfits fanboy was NOT a good mix for the wallet!!! :lol:

Ok, back on topic, here are a few more albums I thought of that I can't believe I missed the first time I replied to this.....

Angel Witch - S/T
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys - Part I
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys - Part II
Motorhead - 1916
VoiVod - Dimension Hatross
Vio-Lence - Eternal Nightmare

Wow that's pretty cool that you had all those official vinyls. Those definitely had to be expensive. Sad thing is that I can remember coming across alot of them back in the late 80s before they got too expensive, and I didn't have the forethought to get them. I got some of the repressings, bootlegs, etc. To this day I still wished I owned a copy of the "Beware EP". Of course I've heard it a billion times but never owned the actual record.

Yeah, I had a SERIOUS vinyl problem.
I even got a few signed by Glenn and Jerry Only through the years.
Times changed (Got married, moved a few times, etc), and all the vinyl has been sold. It got too valuable almost to hold onto.

I used to be in pretty close contact with Bobby Steele for a while. My old band had played with the Undead on a number of occassions. He is a cool guy. Very misunderstood, but who isn't?

Oh, and if you can find it, there is a bootleg version out there of the never officially released "12 Hits From Hell" That's some great sounding stuff.

Maybe we need a separate Misfits and related, thread! :lol:

(Sorry Mod!!)