Favorite doom albums

Road warriors indeed.
I mean I have no idea how they ever got on Glens radar for PP, or on the radar for Metallica, etc....
(well, I assume maybe Lars knew of them).

Just never thought based on their sound they would have received attention from the hard rock and metal scene.

DARK METAL OR NO METAL AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Well for Volbeat in terms of Progpower, when they were going to play, they were the oddball pick, so there was no real rhyme or reason other than he liked them.

As for how or why they're marketed the way they are, it's simple. From what I've seen the writers, publishers, etc. at Revolver fell in love with them. I believe their first headlining tour was even sponsored by them. I always find it interesting how certain publications get obsessed with certain bands, like how Rollingstone of all the metal bands they could latch onto over the years, have said the most praise about Mastodon and Meshuggah.

Well, for the record, in the 80s, we referred to bands like Metallica, Armored Saint, and Metal Church as "power metal"
Your average virgin pimple faced kid in a Prog Power shirt (and god bless them all!!!) wouldn't know that.

Also, who really cares how "well accepted" a genre term is?

As DMR said, there are tons of them. Some are more accepted than others.

Dark Metal combines elements of FOUR genres, which warrants its own name.

Don't agree? I don't care. You like VOLBEAT. Nuff said.

You are correct and yes even Metallica fell under that term before "thrash" was defined. And just the same was bands like Cirith Ungol, Candlemass and Trouble were just heavy metal and not "doom". The term doom did not really seem to take hold until Cathedral's debut.
And I'm guessing you have never seen a progpower audience; not many pimple face kids, more like balding over weight middle aged guys in stretched out Symphony X shirt. HAHAFew more years I will be able to blend in in if I would trade in the Tank shirt for Sonata Arctica.

Road warriors indeed.
I mean I have no idea how they ever got on Glens radar for PP,

Well the man does seem to have taste extended beyond the A typical cookie cutter power metal prog metal bands. And if he puts something on that is an "odd" pick all he has to do is tell his flock to like it and they will drink the Koolaid.
I personal think some of the more odd picks have been the best bands on that festival for instance Freak Kitchen, but it is looking like that is coming to an end. Now it is girl fest HAHA

Because power metal is an established genre, and just about everyone understands it's definition and scope. Dark metal is much less defined, and much less understood.

Here's a test: At the next show you go to, ask random fans to name some power metal bands. Then do the same with dark metal. I'd bet 90% of those fans are going to answer "huh?" to the second question.

"Just about everyone understands it's definition and scope?" No way! People have been arguing about the definition of power metal for years and years and probably always will. It never had a clear definition to begin with and now it means multiple things. You can ask random people to name power metal bands but you'll probably get a lot of different answers. One guy might say Helloween and Blind Guardian, the next would say Jag Panzer and Omen, the next might say Savatage and Crimson Glory, etc... And if you asked them all at the same time they'd argue for hours about why the other guys' bands aren't power metal.

"Just about everyone understands it's definition and scope?" No way! People have been arguing about the definition of power metal for years and years and probably always will. It never had a clear definition to begin with and now it means multiple things. You can ask random people to name power metal bands but you'll probably get a lot of different answers. One guy might say Helloween and Blind Guardian, the next would say Jag Panzer and Omen, the next might say Savatage and Crimson Glory, etc... And if you asked them all at the same time they'd argue for hours about why the other guys' bands aren't power metal.

I don't think there's anyone on this planet who would say Helloween is power metal and Jag Panzer isn't.

Power metal is a known and popularly accepted term. Dark metal isn't. I might call bands like Sonata Arctica 'flower metal', but I would never say they aren't power metal because they are flower metal.

At the end of the day, it's just fun to give Jason crap. Nobody really cares.

Well the man does seem to have taste extended beyond the A typical cookie cutter power metal prog metal bands. And if he puts something on that is an "odd" pick all he has to do is tell his flock to like it and they will drink the Koolaid.
I personal think some of the more odd picks have been the best bands on that festival for instance Freak Kitchen, but it is looking like that is coming to an end. Now it is girl fest HAHA

You know, I'd be willing to bet that PP is one of your, if not the number one, most profitable events of the year. And yet you continue to be a dick for no reason....

Makes zero sense. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Just never thought based on their sound they would have received attention from the hard rock and metal scene.

Their sound is 2/3 Metallica and Motorhead and the other 1/3 rockabilly and punk. Their appeal to hard rock and metal fans is pretty clear to me. Not so much power/progressive/doom or DARK metal, but at the general metal level it makes sense.

So have we completely derailed this thread yet?

Oh yeah, doom metal. No list is complete without at least one Evoken album.

You know, I'd be willing to bet that PP is one of your, if not the number one, most profitable events of the year. And yet you continue to be a dick for no reason....

Makes zero sense. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
You would probably lose that bet.
Sure since it is basically the only sizable metal festival here in the U.S. it is one of the biggest events I do. However that festival is certainly nothing my business ever has or ever will need to rely on. One reason is that the metal I typically deal with doesn't go over very well there, and secondly it is a VERY targeted audience. I'm sure you will argue with that as with everything, and I'm sure you will be correct because you are in this business.
Hey he has fine taste I think, that we share in common on a lot of bands. And don't think that was negative or positive just simply the way it is.

Their sound is 2/3 Metallica and Motorhead and the other 1/3 rockabilly and punk. Their appeal to hard rock and metal fans is pretty clear to me. Not so much power/progressive/doom or DARK metal, but at the general metal level it makes sense.

Well, I have only heard maybe three of their songs.
They all seemed a lot more punk than metal.
Maybe that's because I am extremely familiar with their punk influences as well, so maybe pick up more on that sound than someone who isn't.

Anyhow, the bottom line is I do think they are a good band with rocking tunes. If this was the mid 90s, I would probably be all over that band.

No band is in this business to lose money, so their marketing tactics surely have proven to be successful so good on them for that.

As far as derailing this thread, you haven't been paying close enough attention to whom the regulars are around here... :)

Well, I have only heard maybe three of their songs.
They all seemed a lot more punk than metal.
Maybe that's because I am extremely familiar with their punk influences as well, so maybe pick up more on that sound than someone who isn't.

Anyhow, the bottom line is I do think they are a good band with rocking tunes. If this was the mid 90s, I would probably be all over that band.

No band is in this business to lose money, so their marketing tactics surely have proven to be successful so good on them for that.

As far as derailing this thread, you haven't been paying close enough attention to whom the regulars are around here... :)

Metallica, Motorhead? Well I don't get it; I would simply say Life of Agony if they had continue to put out good albums after 'River runs Red'

Metallica, Motorhead? Well I don't get it; I would simply say Life of Agony if they had continue to put out good albums after 'River runs Red'

The riffing, especially on their first two albums, is almost pure Metallica and Motorhead worship. The only similarity to Life of Agony is in the singer's voice, and even that is somewhat limited.

The riffing, especially on their first two albums, is almost pure Metallica and Motorhead worship. The only similarity to Life of Agony is in the singer's voice, and even that is somewhat limited.

um yeah I'm not a champion of that band but I do own the albums too; it is A LOT like that Life of Agony album. And as I said if life LOA continued to put out good albums...
Oh and think we can point out a German band who Volbeat are very similar too as well; believe that band even pre-dates.
Ok not sure where that is going of to but I guess just sounds like a (since there is heavy riffing it sounds Metallica) type comparsion which I guess that would work. Sure I don't doubt they were quite influenced.

Hmmm... Top doom albums, eh? I'll throw my hat in this ring, as well.

1. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
2. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
3. Black Sabbath - Volume 4
4. Candlemass - Nightfall
5. Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths of Sorrow
6. Argus - Boldly Stride The Doomed
7. Solitude Aeturnus - Alone
8. Orodruin - Epicurean Mass
9. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today
10. Candlemass - King of the Grey Islands
11. Saint Vitus - Born Too Late
12. Solitude Aeturnus - Through The Darkest Hour