Favorite doom albums

EzwQB.jpg

Wow, that speaks a LOT to your lifestyle if you are going to dig back through 7 years of emails.
So you seriously recall an email where I said, "Hey Novembers Doom are doom metal"????????

You seriously waste a lot of time on things not very important. Go ahead though.

Wow. There is a ton of NON doom here fellas. And I ain't talking about. Bobs list.
I will get on this soon.

well I guess "doom" is a subjective term. Some refer to Cirith Ungol as doom while other do not, I myself go either way with them. Still doom vcan even go beyond the down tune drwan out heavy slow riff; I just thought I might simply my list to some existent, besides I did say "doom metal"

Agree to disagree...........

Too much goth influences and harsh vox for me to simply call MDB a doom metal band.

Hell, you guys get your panties in a twist if someone calls DragonForce power metal.

At least I am making a distinction musically.

agree to disagree is merely a weak way to backdown. HAHA
"dark metal" seriously man? Repeat that to yourself a few times and hear how stupid it sounds. Then put it in context of how you are using. Damn I was turning iolent every time I heard that Canadian dipshit Dunn say it. For godsake it is fuckin heavy metal must of it is DARK.
There are several things that could be argued about how My Dying Bride are doomier than Candlemass; Candlemass has pretty covers, up tempo songs, some positive lyrics (somewhat),- MDB; dark cover, all down tempo, lyrics all tranlate to doom, doo , doom.

The first time I saw the use of the term DARK METAL was from THE END RECORDS online catalog.
I think it is PERFECTLY fitting for the bands I mention who combine elements of doom, death, goth, and avante garde.
I would not call power, progressive, thrash, heavy, NWOBHM, "dark metal"
As you said, it's all subjective.

As for CANDLEMASS, I agree with you man.
I have said it MANY times. They are the "power metal" of doom bands!
Well, at least the Messiah albums are.

"dark metal" seriously man? Repeat that to yourself a few times and hear how stupid it sounds. Then put it in context of how you are using. Damn I was turning iolent every time I heard that Canadian dipshit Dunn say it. For godsake it is fuckin heavy metal must of it is DARK.

Jason's dark metal genre is no less stupid or invalid than any other metal subgenre. You have no problem using the term power metal, but isn't most metal powerful? Why is calling a band dark metal stupid, but calling another band power metal isn't?

Jason's dark metal genre is no less stupid or invalid than any other metal subgenre. You have no problem using the term power metal, but isn't most metal powerful? Why is calling a band dark metal stupid, but calling another band power metal isn't?

Because power metal is an established genre, and just about everyone understands it's definition and scope. Dark metal is much less defined, and much less understood.

Here's a test: At the next show you go to, ask random fans to name some power metal bands. Then do the same with dark metal. I'd bet 90% of those fans are going to answer "huh?" to the second question.

What difference do the vocals make? If they had a different type of singer, would they be a different genre?

Normally I'd say no, but think of a band like Children of Bodom. Nothing about their music really points to death or black metal, but that's where they get lumped because of the harsh vocals. With clean vox they'd almost be a power metal band.

Well, for the record, in the 80s, we referred to bands like Metallica, Armored Saint, and Metal Church as "power metal"
Your average virgin pimple faced kid in a Prog Power shirt (and god bless them all!!!) wouldn't know that.

Also, who really cares how "well accepted" a genre term is?

As DMR said, there are tons of them. Some are more accepted than others.

Dark Metal combines elements of FOUR genres, which warrants its own name.

Don't agree? I don't care. You like VOLBEAT. Nuff said.

Well, for the record, in the 80s, we referred to bands like Metallica, Armored Saint, and Metal Church as "power metal"
Your average virgin pimple faced kid in a Prog Power shirt (and god bless them all!!!) wouldn't know that.

Don't agree? I don't care. You like VOLBEAT. Nuff said.

Yes, those bands (except Metallica, of course) would have been power metal in the '80s, before Helloween and Gamma Ray reinvented the term.

And I LOVE Volbeat. They're my favorite dark metal band.

Awesome!!!! I always thought I heard some goth and death in them.
I have heard some VOLBEAT. I would have LOVED them in the 90s.
If it were 10 to 15 years ago they would have been on a never ending tour with Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly.

I have no idea how they are marketed the way they are.

Awesome!!!! I always thought I heard some goth and death in them.
I have heard some VOLBEAT. I would have LOVED them in the 90s.
If it were 10 to 15 years ago they would have been on a never ending tour with Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly.

I have no idea how they are marketed the way they are.

I have no idea how they're marketed at all. I just know they're total road warriors, and they're doing everything they can to get heard by American audiences. And they're one of most fun bands to listen to and see live, which goes a long way with me.