Favorite Guitarist?

RosesofShadow said:
Sorry if i'm gonna revive this thread, i wanted to make a new one but i search for a similar thread and i thought i'll just post. I just want to ask something...

My friend told me last Saturday that the guitarist of Children of Bodom, Alexi (correct me if i'm mistaken), is the future guitar legend of the world. He said that someone told him that and he wants to check out some Bodom albums. I have COB albums (mp3) except for the new EP and the live one. Yes i can say Alexi is good, but legend? I think there are many guitarist out there that is better than him. The guitarist from Exodus is really great. Another one is the guy from Cryptopsy. So i want to prove him wrong, opinions anyone?
Alexi has a great sweeping technique, but a legend? not quite. I assume that you want a list of guitarrists to prove him wrong:

Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
Jason Becker (Cacophony, Jason Becker)
Jon Levasseur (Cryptopsy, good choice indeed)
Alex Skolnick (Testament, Savatage, Alex Skolnick trio)

And that's just scrapping the surface. There are a shitload of guitarrists in other genres with better technique than Alexi.

Ultimate Symphony said:
Alexi has a great sweeping technique, but a legend? not quite. I assume that you want a list of guitarrists to prove him wrong:

Michael Romeo (Symphony X)
Jason Becker (Cacophony, Jason Becker)
Jon Levasseur (Cryptopsy, good choice indeed)
Alex Skolnick (Testament, Savatage, Alex Skolnick trio)

And that's just scrapping the surface. There are a shitload of guitarrists in other genres with better technique than Alexi.

Yes Jon is really good. He haven't heard Cryptopsy though, so for now Alexi is a legend to him. He has heard Symphony X, but he still prefer COB. I like Symphony X than CoB, not just because of the guitars, but all of it. Jason Becker is really good and Alex as well, good mentions.

So anymore out there?

Alexi is good, but not a legend. Trey Azagthoth, Dave Mustaine, King/Hanneman, and some others might someday be legends, but are not. Robert Fripp, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, etc. THOSE are legends.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
One Inch Man said:
Alexi is good, but not a legend. Trey Azagthoth, Dave Mustaine, King/Hanneman, and some others might someday be legends, but are not. Robert Fripp, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, etc. THOSE are legends.

Yeah i agree with you man. can i add Tony Iommi there? Yeah, he listens less to Megadeth and Morbid Angel. But i do know he listens to some Slayer, but just the newer ones. Thanks guys! Oh the guitarist from Kreator is really fucking good :headbang: , sorry i'm not good at names.

Steve Vai
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Joe Satriani
David Bryson(He taught Joe Satriani how to play a guitar)
Adrian Smith/Dave Murray
Glenn Tipton
Johnny Marr>(Smiths)only for his composing skills.
Jeff Beck,You have to respect the old skool.
The Dime -He played chords that didn't exist until he came into the world.

Depending on how Guitarists are considered great ,is on many levels. In my mind a Guitarist could sell 5 albums and still be considered a great if they were innovative.

Jaar-Gilon said:
not a future legend. but a legend past. Dimebag Darrel = the best
He would have eventually become a legend I think, but because of his untimely death that status got bumped up a bit. Sucks.

Is it Jon Levasseur or Jean Levasseur? He's from Quebec, after all.

Also, I wouldn't consider Jeff Loomis a power metal guitarist, but I do think he's great.

I would add to the list( I agree with almost everything you guys said ) Dark Tranquility's guitarists ( forgot their name ) and Bart Something from Quo Vadis.

Edit: I'm looking for bands with great guitarists. If you can name a few, please go ahead. I already know the "major" bands. If you know pretty unknown bands with good guitars please name them.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
AsModEe said:
Is it Jon Levasseur or Jean Levasseur? He's from Quebec, after all.

Edit: I'm looking for bands with great guitarists. If you can name a few, please go ahead. I already know the "major" bands. If you know pretty unknown bands with good guitars please name them.
It's Jon Levasseur. You might know some of these, but what the hell:

Intestine Baalism
Adagio
Golem
Darkane
Into Eternity
Aborym
Abigor
Psypheria
Windham Hell
Cacophony
Mithras

Not metal but I think my favorite guitarist would have to be Tom Morello... very distinctive style and no one else quite sounds like him.

He also comes up with very entertaining riffs+solos (I'm talking RATM here)

WNxScythe said:
Not metal but I think my favorite guitarist would have to be Tom Morello... very distinctive style and no one else quite sounds like him.

He also comes up with very entertaining riffs+solos (I'm talking RATM here)

Ultimate_Symphony said:
It's Jon Levasseur. You might know some of these, but what the hell:

Intestine Baalism
Adagio
Golem
Darkane
Into Eternity
Aborym
Abigor
Psypheria
Windham Hell
Cacophony
Mithras

I only know half of those bands. Thx a lot.