Favorite Guitarist?

I might be a bit late....but : "stop fucking talking about kirk hammet in this thread" I've been a guitar player for a long time and he probably is one of the worst.....so stop it!!!!!!! alright!!!!! We are not talking about the most "popular" but about the "best" which I think means that he is a AWESOMLY GOOD guitar player....which is definitly not Kirk Hammet's case.

The best are : John Pettrucci, Timo Tolke (stratovarius...sorry for the spelling), Jeff Loomis (the nevermore guy), and many others (Satriani, Vai, etc...).

Krigloch the Furious said:
Muhammed Suicmez - Necrophagist. he is a beast on guitar.
I don't know how the hell I forgot him, sick guitar player.

might be a bit late....but : "stop fucking talking about kirk hammet in this thread" I've been a guitar player for a long time and he probably is one of the worst.....so stop it!!!!!!! alright!!!!! We are not talking about the most "popular" but about the "best" which I think means that he is a AWESOMLY GOOD guitar player....which is definitly not Kirk Hammet's case.
Agreed. There are some guitarrists mentioned here that are nowhere near Alexis' technique level.

Oh and btw, I totally forgot about Rusty Cooley. Definitively check him out, he totally obliterates a lot of metal guitar players.

I quite like Karl Logan (Manowar) as a guitarist but that is almost purely based on the astonishing levels of cheese that Manowar manage to integrate into every song! His solos are pretty kick ass (imho), I wish I could play like that! :D

FatesEnemy said:
Guitar plays an integral part in Metal. I love the guitar(I might be bias cause i play the guitar) everything about is fucking awesome. I've been playing since i was 14 and one of the most influential guitarist on me was Kirk Hammet. Whos your Favorite Guitarist?

kirk is one of my influences as well. so is scott ian. so is dave mustaine. i love beer.

My favorites:

Randy Rhoads (fire & finesse)
Yngwie Malmsteen (shred god)
Alex Skolnick (probably the best guitarist I've seen live)
Robert Fripp (amazing)
Wolf Hoffman (Accept - writes great solos that flow really well)

Said by Varg Vikernes

If only all these guys playing in the bands had been satisfied by listening to Black Metal instead of having to form their own bands too. Why do everybody haveplay themselves? Isn't listening to music enough? If you don't make something that is different from the rest there is no point in making music… or so I think

The same can be said for any form of metal.

Dave Suzuki (Vital Remains/Deicide)
James Murphy (Think of a band, he's probably been in it)
Mark Shelton (Manilla Road, The Circus Maximus
Corchado/Viterbo (The Chasm)
Warslut/Shrapnel (Destroyer 666)
Petrozza (Kreator)

Jeff Hanneman
Jon Levasseur
Chuck Schuldiner
Zack wylde
Lord Tim
Terrance Hobbs/Doug Cerrito (suffocation, inspired so much brutal death metal including Jon Levasseur)
Tommi Iommi
But my favourite and the best would have to be dimebag

No one mentioned Uli Jon Roth. He's really expressive!
Does anyone like Michael Schenker? He's damn good too.
But the most expressive (at least from the ones I've heard) is now dead (or back to the planet where he came from) and his name is Jimi Hendrix.
There are a lot of other guitarists I like, but most of them don't play metal.

Top 20 Guitarists:
1. Tony Iommi
2. Alex Skolnick
3. Metal Mike Chlasciak
4. Glenn Tipton
5. Kenneth 'K.K.' Downing
6. Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth)
7. Jon Schaffer (Iced Earth/ Demons & Wizards)
8. Eric Peterson (Testament/Dragonlord)
9. Jasun Tipton (Zero Hour/Death Machine)
10. Mille Petrozza (Kreator)
11. Dave Linsk (Overkill/ Speed Kill Hate)
12. Morten Veland (Sirenia)
13.Sture (Vreid/Ex- Windir)
14. Jeff Loomis (Nevermore)
15. Mark Briody (Jag Panzer)
16. Scott Ian (Anthrax)
17. John Petrucci
18. Jeff Waters (Annihilator)
19. Devin Townsend
20. Ossian (Operia IX)

My Favorite Late Guitarists:
Jimi Hendrix
Jerry Garcia
Charles Schuldiner
Dimebag Darrell
Quorthon
Valfar
George Harrison

hehe
petrucci, akerfeldt, loomis (SO FUCKIN UNDERRATED/UNKNOWN! he's a machine!) friedman (am learning hangar 18 at the mo, exotic!), jeff beck (noone could play like him,,,), zappa (maybe more for composition, i like his massive sloppy in-the-moment playing tho), brian may (master of melody), hetfield, mustaine...

fps said:
hehe
petrucci, akerfeldt, loomis (SO FUCKIN UNDERRATED/UNKNOWN! he's a machine!) friedman (am learning hangar 18 at the mo, exotic!), jeff beck (noone could play like him,,,), zappa (maybe more for composition, i like his massive sloppy in-the-moment playing tho), brian may (master of melody), hetfield, mustaine...

Loomis, awesomly hot... this dude is great. And I think I mentionned it. Previously... but I repeat it just to second you.