Favorite Japanese Bands?

affinityband said:
Arcturus and sigh are pretty far apart... Especially sighs latest offering.

imaginary sonicscape and the sham mirrors are quite similar actually. but yes, with arcturus last album they turned quite predictable and boring, and sigh went in a good but completely different direction.

Australians are in for a treat

MONO
with guests from Japan
WORLD'S END GIRLFRIEND

WED 29 AUGUST - THE ZOO, Brisbane
THUR 30 AUGUST - THE MANNING BAR, Sydney
FRI 31 AUGUST - THE CORNER, Melbourne

best gig to come to this country for a long time IMO

(envy next month should also be good!)

Australians are in for a treat

MONO
with guests from Japan
WORLD'S END GIRLFRIEND

WED 29 AUGUST - THE ZOO, Brisbane
THUR 30 AUGUST - THE MANNING BAR, Sydney
FRI 31 AUGUST - THE CORNER, Melbourne

best gig to come to this country for a long time IMO

(envy next month should also be good!)

FUCKCKSSS>>WQEEQ@#E@!!@#@#:loco: :kickass: :worship: :cry: :ill: :zombie: o_O

Where'd you acquire this info matey?

I've been hanging for this. I saw Pelican + Mono together in Osaka a few years back but had to leave before Mono finished so I could get the bus back to my town. :( That was lame.

Anyway... back on topic, I don't think anyone's mentioned Corrupted yet. Finest doom/sludge out there. Crushing.

Sigh.

Not sure if composers count, but these haven't been mentioned yet just to change it up from bands:

Yuki Kajiura
Yoshihiro Ike
Takahito Eguchi
Tan Dun (He's Chinese though :lol: )

Probably because I wanted to see if anyone had heard of Azrael, or Shadow. But apparently I am the only one aware of these bands :erk:

I picked up the Shadow album when it first came out. unfortunately it was around that time that American metalcore bands started playing Swedish melodic death, i.e. Darkest Hour, Black Dahlia, soon to be followed by Unearth, etc.

so I grew tired of the Shadow disc rather quickly, but it's got some good solid songs on it.

no one has mentioned BATHTUB SHITTER??!

$30 + bf is a steal. Anyway, right after I posted that I found the info on some MySpace page, I think it belonged to their Australian label.

Back on topic, again, 324 deserve a mention. Apeshit grinders.

Anyway, the one time I saw Corrupted they had a support band called Gainega playing doom/death/black/rock/punk/bit-of-everything. As far as I'm aware they still have no recording or website, but they completely blew me away. The band consisted of four girls (or maybe one of them was a guy, you can never tell...) dressed up in goth lolita sorta gear. I thought they'd end up playing some crap visual-kei rock nonsense, but they were fucking savage. The singer (quite attractive too! bonus! :p) ended up being probably the most brutal female vocalist I've ever heard next to Runhild from Thorr's Hammer.

I gotta say, no matter what genre or whether I liked it or not, all the Japanese bands I've seen totally give 110%. Except maybe Merzbow. I genuinely enjoyed the show and the sound, but as someone commented, "it's like watching some Asian guy check his email for an hour". :p