Favorite Live Shows

opeth8

My Arms, Your Casket
Sep 29, 2005
USA
I'm sure we've all seen our fair share of concerts. Over the last 15 or so years I've seen quite a few. Some are so-so, some are good & then there are the concerts that leave you salivating for more.

What makes a band stickout during a live performance ??? Is it that you know & adore every song they play....is it that the band has always been amongst your favorites...was it your 1st time seeing or hearing of a band & you were completely blown away...was the bands performance stellar...was the music performed flawlessly...were there theatrics that left you mesmerized...or did you just have a great buzz ????

For me there are many shows that I'll never forget.

My 1st show was Metallica, GNR & Faith No More.
At the time I was a huge Metallica fan, but it was FNM that stole the show. Patton was terrific on stage & the music was superb. However that show does not rank in my top 5.

Opeth @ HOB-Orlando this past March, Opeth's best set-list of songs i've seen so far, the venue was super, I was in the 1st row of the balcony with a great view, instrumental performances were perfect, sound was excellent, yeah I also had a big-time buzz, opening were Dark Tranquilty who was decent & Devildriver who I thought had a great performance

Nine Inch Nails @ Worcester Centrum on the Fragile Tour, Trent has always been one of my fav's & on this night he was at his best. They played all their best material & threw in a few pcs of the Fragile, Trent did all the vox as well as play guitar on a cpl of tracks & did some great work on the keys, I was blown away at how alot of the songs connected through creative improvising, that was very melodic, yes I was completely wrecked this time too

Marilyn Manson @ Worcester Centrum on the Antichrist Superstar tour. He was at the height of his popularity, this was my 1st time seeing them & I was blown away with the theatrics, the music was good, but the entertainment value was much better, although many of his on-stage antics have become repetitive now, they were new to me then, the parading around on 10-ft stilts, the many different outfits, the hitler scenarios, & the explosions on stage were all very impressive

U2 @ the FleetCenter in Boston, yeah this is quite a change of pace, but this was a fantastic night for me, I had great seats & this was one of the 1st dates I went on with my wife. This was 6 or so yrs ago. The buzz in the crowd on this night was like nothing I ever experienced, then again this was probably the only concert I've ever been to where the women outnumbered the men by a 10 to 1 margin. That being said, they put on an amazing 2 1/2 hr set of all their greatest hits, which the entire crowd sang every song word for word, & danced endlessly, Bono ofcourse has a god-like status which left everyone in awe, his vocals were solid & the edge churned out his trademark riffs to perfection

Ozzfest 5 or 6 ??? at the Tweeter Center In Mansfield, perhaps Ozzfests best line-up to date, Slayer, Godsmack, Rob Zombie, Pantera & Ofcourse Sabbath just to name a few. Godsmack was in their prime at the time & ofcourse they were our local heroes, Zombie is also a local, but doesn't embrace his roots, regardless, each band churned out killer sets of their best material & completely blew me away. We had great seats, but spent very little time in them. Most of my time was spent crowdsurfing, headbanging, moshing & just going fucking crazy. I nearly needed to be hospitalized after the show for dehydration & had to take a week off of work due to a few injuries I sustained, sprained ankle & pulled muscle in my neck from all the headbanging, but it was all good

Honorable mention would include the G3 tour with Satriani, Vai & Petrucci
New England Metal Fest w/Opeth & Killswitch as well as about 30 others
Stone Temple Pilots at The Orpheum
Sarah Brightman @ The Fleetcenter unbelievable vocals
Cannibal Corpse w/Chris Barnes
Shit how could I forget Metallica at the Fleetcenter

Anyone else have any experiences that are worthy of sharing

I saw Primus..3 years ago...i think? Anyways, it was crazy. I've never seen a group of people get into a concert as much as they did. Especially during My Name is Mud and JWRD. A large cloud of smoke seemed to hover over everyone...hah. Claypool is hilarious to watch, as he marches around on stage with his bass. And of course, Tim Alexander was fucking awesome.

Metallica - And Justice Tour @ Worcester Centrum (my 1st Concert)
What a way to begin. Not the best mix, you could barely hear James's vox, and Kirk seemed to intentionally fuck up the intro solo in 'One'. But they were excellent.

Van Halen - FUCK tour, Alice in Chains opened (Facelift) @ Worcester Centrum
I grew up loving VH, so I was retardedly excited about this and so sad when it was over. AIC were great, but all my friends thought they sucked. A few months later they were like, "Hey check these guys out!" And I said, "Douchebags, you saw them live and said they sucked. Thank God MTV told you it was okay to like them."

Maceo Parker - circa 1993 @ The El & Gee Club in New London, CT
Best crowd entertaining musician I've ever seen. I don't dance at shows, but he made me dance. I couldn't help it. Besides, he mingled with the crowd before the show, patted me on the back while I shot pool and thanked me for coming to the show. What a class act. They don't get much better than Maceo.

Iron Maiden - Give Me 'Ed Till I'm Dead w/ Motorhead & Dio @ Tommy Hilfiger Center NY
If I was a huge VH fan, I was a bigger Maiden fan. I never thought I'd see them live with Bruce, so it was like a dream come true. My wife came with me, we made a trip out of it, and she actually enjoyed herself. I was blown away by Dio, who still has a tremendous set of pipes.

Opeth - GR October 05 w/ Nevermore @ Worcester Palladium
My first time. Mike put on a silly hat. Hilarity ensued. Oh yeah, Nevermore was pretty darn good too.

Note: ive probably been to around 4-500 gigs. i usually go to 2 a week (more in the holidays), but at the moment these are the ones that stand out for me:

Opeth - Melbourne 2 - @ The Forum Theater 2006
Best Night of my life. Amazing performance, setlist, met the guys after, got photos and stuff signed, met moonlapse and other forum'ers etc etc.

Ne Obliviscaris - Melbourne @ The Green Room 2006

I have never been more blown away by a local band in my life. Got me hooked on these guys.

Mogwai - Sydney @ The Metro 2006

A truly breathtaking performance. The most amazing musical environment ive ever been in

Coldplay - Sydney @ Entertainment Centre 2006

Bag me for liking Coldplay, but this was an experience. Chris Martin is an amazing frontman and the full production was just incredible

Opeth - Sydney @ Enmore Theater 2004

My first Opeth show (i was too young for the first tour in 2003 but met them then as well) Was just spectacular. another great setlist and the funniest mikael stand up ive ever heard

The Mark of Cain - Sydney @ Channel V Fox Studios 2001

My first proper gig, so has special significance for me :)

can't think of the others atm, but there have been many. will post more when i wake up properly :D

oh, and btw, really good thread!!!!

Pethical said:
Note: ive probably been to around 4-500 gigs. i usually go to 2 a week (more in the holidays), but at the moment these are the ones that stand out for me:

Opeth - Melbourne 2 - @ The Forum Theater 2006
Best Night of my life. Amazing performance, setlist, met the guys after, got photos and stuff signed, met moonlapse and other forum'ers etc etc.

Ne Obliviscaris - Melbourne @ The Green Room 2006

I have never been more blown away by a local band in my life. Got me hooked on these guys.

Mogwai - Sydney @ The Metro 2006

A truly breathtaking performance. The most amazing musical environment ive ever been in

Coldplay - Sydney @ Entertainment Centre 2006

Bag me for liking Coldplay, but this was an experience. Chris Martin is an amazing frontman and the full production was just incredible

Opeth - Sydney @ Enmore Theater 2004

My first Opeth show (i was too young for the first tour in 2003 but met them then as well) Was just spectacular. another great setlist and the funniest mikael stand up ive ever heard

The Mark of Cain - Sydney @ Channel V Fox Studios 2001

My first proper gig, so has special significance for me :)

can't think of the others atm, but there have been many. will post more when i wake up properly :D

oh, and btw, really good thread!!!!

Me and my mate were at the Enmore theater show, flew all the way from auckland to catch them, fuck that show kicked ass:headbang:

oh yeh and i forgot about cream reunion in the albert hall last year or was it the year before, sitting in an audience full of talented & big musicians watching cream play their classics was an experience i wont forget.. even though i just did.. but whatever you get the point

Benighted1 said:
Me and my mate were at the Enmore theater show, flew all the way from auckland to catch them, fuck that show kicked ass:headbang:

i STILL talk about Mikael's comedy routine from that night. so many classic calls:

"and YUH its a 4/4....so it must be great"
(audience member) "we like to headbang!" Mike: "he speaks for you all"
"this is our paranoid, our seek and destroy... demon of the fall"

and so forth :)

My favourite shows in no particular order:

Suffocation + Napalm Death @ Club Quattro, Osaka, 2005
Suffocation stole the show, incredibly heavy live band. Interesting crowd interaction too, consider the strange behaviour of Japanese crowds. Napalm Death were unsurprisingly excellent as well.

Rammstein @ The Palace, Melbourne, 2001(?)
The music isn't overly complex but they are a really tight live band. Plus they know how to put on a show. I think the Palace is a much smaller venue than they are used to playing, so I'm surprised they didn't burn the whole place down, and I was lucky to walk out with my eyebrows still on my face.

Dead Can Dance @ Radio City Music Hall, New York, 2005
The thought of DCD reforming never crossed my mind, let alone being able to see them. One of my favourite bands in a beautiful venue, unbelieveable. Shame about all the retards showing up late and distracting people who actually came on time.

Strapping Young Lad @ Hi Fi Bar, Melbourne, 1997
One of my first real metal gigs, heh. The crowd wasn't so big since it was an underage show and SYL weren't all that popular back then anyway. But Devin was a complete and utter maniac. I've seen SYL maybe 5 times since then but it hasn't been quite the same.

Day Of The Equinox @ The Opera House, Toronto, 2005
I was there mainly to see Green Carnation, Agalloch and Woods Of Ypres, but all bands were very impressive. Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness was played in full, great experience. And Agalloch, well, they're my favourite band, period.

Merzbow @ Revolver, Melbourne, 2004
I can't explain this. It was just hypnotic (and I was stone cold sober too), and there was a brilliant buildup of tension and release with subtle rhythm and melody buried under all the noise. Although I can understand the criticism of "it's just like watching this Asian guy checking his email for 60 minutes straight", haha.

Opeth @ The Corner Hotel, Melbourne, 2003(?)
I think it was 2003, regardless, Opeth's first show in Melbourne. Great setlist and the crowd went spastic for them. After the end of the first song (The Leper Affinity) I've never heard a crowd cheer so hard for such a long time.

I've had barrels of fun at countless local shows too, especially the grind ones. Far too many to mention.

Pethical said:
i STILL talk about Mikael's comedy routine from that night. so many classic calls:

"and YUH its a 4/4....so it must be great"
(audience member) "we like to headbang!" Mike: "he speaks for you all"
"this is our paranoid, our seek and destroy... demon of the fall"

and so forth :)

ha yea it was a great night, I remember Mike was talking about songs in 4/4 are good to headbang to then to demonstrate 4/4, they started playing Billie Jean, man that was crack up!!

^yeah man, i was going to write out the whole sequence, but i cbf!

AshDLS said:
Day Of The Equinox @ The Opera House, Toronto, 2005
I was there mainly to see Green Carnation, Agalloch and Woods Of Ypres, but all bands were very impressive. Light Of Day, Day Of Darkness was played in full, great experience. And Agalloch, well, they're my favourite band, period..

this was one of the best lineups id ever seen for a 1 day festival. amazing that you went!

Pethical said:
this was one of the best lineups id ever seen for a 1 day festival. amazing that you went!

I guess it was a combination of having unused paid leave from work, some cash saved up, and finding a superfuckingcheap flight to North America. The planets must've been aligned too or something, hehe. Although it's not something I'll be likely to do again (unless I win the lottery).

TOOL 2001/2/Tomahwaks opener- MAynard was his usual quiet self....not even uttering a single word ...until at teh end of teh set he said that he hopes all this music inspires ppl to do creative adn postitive thigns with thier lives. A cool thign to say...!!!......also Mike PAtton's band...Tomahwak opned...Meh...but TOOL was incredible....it was one of teh best shows ever I went too...they opned with SOBER...my alltime favorite TOOL song...!!!!

METALLICA 2005 (st. Anger)/Godsmak opener ....luckily they only played 1 song from that album.....and they played all teh calssic stuff....offcourse it was teh center stage with revolving drunmrise setup...so very cool........they also played "TURN THE PAGE"...which was a rare feat.....and Godsmack opened....adn they were pretty good too...

Opeth 2005 w/LOG Unearth and 1 more band I think. WOW....my first ever time watchign teh=m...they played DElivererance, GR, Drapery....it was aweosme......loved it...it was so good......it was light rain...adn then after the show we hung out with the whole band members.....Gene was on drums....and they signed my DVD, tix stubs....it was awesome...

Opeth 2004 (SA w/Pelican) This was a bigger/longer set but a crappy venue...hahaha....but they played for almost 2 hours...waht a great night...bleak,face of melinda, to rid the diesease, blackwater park,deliverance, demon and I think couple more....!!!....my best opeth show.....it was aweosme........my wife is not too much of a growling fan....but she enjoyed teh lighter side of them.....insanly cool show...!!!

Audioslave (2005) Killer show.....they had a opner...but I cant recall ..he was alright..hahaha.....but the band was insaen....it was after thier 2nd album had come out....really cool show...!!!!.........adn they alos played some Soundgarden adn RAGE songs too......PEAC EOUT

illidurit said:
NFU, any good shows coming up in california in the next few months? I always miss out because I'm not usually on the lookout for stuff

a lot. check my myspace page, i have my upcoming concert itinerary on it. im sure most of those acts will be playing up by you too.