Favorite Lyrical Themes in Extreme Metal

Lyrical Preference

• Total voters
all metal lyrics suck

all of them

What the what? Dude, if you can't understand the lyrics then use a lyrics sheet. A lot of metal bands have good lyrics ( not all of them do Opeth has horrible lyrics). A good example is the song Phobia from Kreator. That song has some awesome lyrics in it.

No one voted for Fantasy/Literature ?? That would've been my second choice. Lyrics based on H.P Lovecraft writings are awesome.

The word fantasy in it suggests that it is Power Metal lyrics. Although I have been listening to a lot more power metal lately I still do not like most power metal band's lyrics, espcially the fantasy type ones that talk about dragons and fairytales.

Even though many people hate Dani Filth, he is a fantastic writer and lyricist.

In regards to antichristian/satanic lyrical themes - I do like them if used in a decent manner...however I'm quite sick of bands with lyrics and song titles like "goatfuck 666" or lame shit like that.

Lyrics about vegetarian cannibals practicing the black arts in the process of sodomizing/consuming young virgins' corpses while being devoured by carnivorous plants, summoned by the infamous lesbian Orc princess Asamo Nib Nedal to rid Middle Earth of tri-nippled homosexual elves for booby-trapping Dwarven bulldozers are my lyrics of choice.

:lol:

@Susperia: If you are saying that lyrical themes can create a genre, why do we not have history metal or philosophy metal?

Because it's not a fucking rule. There is no model for saying 'This is how genres are made". Sometimes it's based on pure sound/image, other times it's based on lyrical content. You can't fucking say " a genre can't be named after an overall lyrical theme". Genres become genres in more ways than one.

If some person is really depressed and sings about morbid things is it death metal ?. To me vocals and music coins a genre. Bands can talk about total opposite things and still be the same genre based on music.

Unleashed has some viking lyrics and Autopsy has gore lyrics, regardless both are still death metal.