favorite lyrical themes

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
What are your favorite lyrical themes? I like lyrics about death, depression, suicide, political issues, and and personal struggles. I really don't like lyrics about relationships, gore, or satanism, though I will listen to bands that have them if the band is good.

hm... i'd say mythology, anger, hate, mockery and blasphemy towards religions (not in the most blatant form perhaps), satanism, magic(k), death, folk tales, fantasy, gore (fun for a while, but boring in the long run, could give you a good laugh at times though), struggle (in general) and romantic nature depictions

Kick ass topic dude :kickass:. I think my favorite are the frost, snow, cold ones. It's not always my favorite style of music but I like the whole idea behind it... the "lyrical imagery" I guess you could call it. Other than that I'd say Depression, Hate, Darkness, and Struggle.

absurdly gorey lyrics. they just make me laugh. and isnt music spose to entertain? not that it makes a lick of difference cuz you cant understand most vocalists in the first place!!! i also dig norse mythology based lyrics.
~gR~

Life Sucks said:
Cool. It seems like some other people here like the same kind of lyrics I do. Can anyone else here not stand lyrics about relationships?
*raises up his hand* It's plain unintresting to me, but quite a bunch of people seem to like it.

Well, my favourites are all these nature-related themes, themes concerning mythology, fairytales, suicide, pain, despair and such absoulutley political incorrect and cynical lyrics which for example pungent stench and anal cunt use to write...

Of gory and violent lyrics, I like the bands that try to do something a little different with it. For example, I like lyrics that are ridiculously extreme, but feature interesting 'situations' or thoughts behind them, like Broken Hope. Cannibal Corpse's lyrics don't compare to Broken Hope. I also like lyrics that concentrate on provoking imagery...that is, lyrics that are stylistically consistent and have objective, rather than just whistling in the dark attempts at being clever (ie, Dimmu Borgir, whose later lyrics although fancy make limited sense). Early Cryptopsy are quite provoking (especially the song Benedictine Convulsions), Chaosphere/Nothing era Meshuggah have brilliant lyrics.

Other bands whose lyrics I enjoy delving into include Circle of Dead Children, Neuraxis, Mudvayne, Decapitated, Immolation, Absu, Darkthrone....generally bands who have put showing effort into the lyrics. I basically like any kind of lyric if there's thought and skill in it.

SculptedCold said:
Of gory and violent lyrics, I like the bands that try to do something a little different with it. For example, I like lyrics that are ridiculously extreme, but feature interesting 'situations' or thoughts behind them, like Broken Hope. Cannibal Corpse's lyrics don't compare to Broken Hope. I also like lyrics that concentrate on provoking imagery...that is, lyrics that are stylistically consistent and have objective, rather than just whistling in the dark attempts at being clever (ie, Dimmu Borgir, whose later lyrics although fancy make limited sense). Early Cryptopsy are quite provoking (especially the song Benedictine Convulsions), Chaosphere/Nothing era Meshuggah have brilliant lyrics.

Other bands whose lyrics I enjoy delving into include Circle of Dead Children, Neuraxis, Mudvayne, Decapitated, Immolation, Absu, Darkthrone....generally bands who have put showing effort into the lyrics. I basically like any kind of lyric if there's thought and skill in it.
In terms of gore lyrics, I like Avulsed. Their lyrics are funny and pretty tounge in cheek.

Reactions: SculptedCold
I like bands that humorously sing about gorish subjects, ala Macabre.

Also like bands with songs about historical things, nature, intelligently written lyrics about war or politics.....

Not so much for your average sing about gore just because we can lyrics though. Like others mentioned, if they are good lyrics about gore, then I can dig that, but just doing it because it's the norm or for shock factor is lame.

Lately I've been listening to songs about breakups and loss. My favorite lyrical theme is loss, suffering, and heartbreak (and I'm talking Dream Theater-Space-Dye Vest kinda stuff). Besides that, concept records and just songs telling a story are next.

Breakups, loss, suffering, loneliness, regret, sorrow, contemplation, anger, politics, redemption, positivity, righteousness, brotherhood, unity, bettering oneself, ambiguous imagery(light, snow, etc.), mythology, literature, science fiction, social commentary, men and women, societal problems, satire, parodies, allegories, stories of people, being unique, being yourself, existence, religious beliefs(generally not satanism, though), history, tribal/archaic origins, and random beautiful things.

Hmm. So it seems that some people actually like lyrics about relationships as one of their favorite themes. For some reason, those are the kind of lyrics I dislike most, since that is the lyrical theme for almost all popular music, and is therefore by far the most trite and overused theme.

Norse mythology, war, Egyptian mythology (even before Nile), suffering and loss. I also like well-written romantic lyrics without all of the pompous goth analogies but the music has to create the perfect mood to go with them.

I think Daddy Stew (I think that's the name of the song) is pretty funny. Where they sing about this stepwife that kills her new husband and feeds it to his kids because his kids were giving her a hard time. Of course something like that is not meant to be taken seriously. Or how Morbid Chef, about the chef who puts human meat in his dishes unbeknownst to the customers of the resteraunt.