Favorite Soundtracks

Lothlorien

Towards the Great Sky
Jan 28, 2006
while i dont buy soundtracks, i do adore some movies that without the music they wouldnt be some of my favorites. what are some of your guy's favorite movie music/soundtracks? i have some nerdy favorites because i am a nerd, and some dorky ones that would confuse me with being goth, but i have some legit ones as well.

just a few off the top of my head (most are pretty cliche):

Star Wars I-VI
I'll admit I'm a huge Star Wars nerd, and I always will be. John Williams brings a classical feel to these movies and captures every scene perfectly.

Strange Brew
To those of you who have seen this movie may laugh at me, but I love the terrible songs in this film that capture the 80's mood perfectly.

The Shawshank Redemption
One of my favorite films of all time and the songs seem to always add a little mroe to the movie.

The Village
Another confession, I enjoy M. Night's films. Most of you may not, but this film is one of his best, and the soundtrack is creepy and gives the movie that feel as well.

Edward Scissorhands
Fantastic movie with great music that gives it the typical Burton feel.

Donnie Darko
This movie will always bring back fond memories for me. It was one of the first movies I watched with my soon to be wife, anyways, the music holds a special place with me.

Alright, now list some of your favorites.

Requiem For A Dream
Svidd Neger and Lykantropen Themes
Edward Scissorhands
Naked Lunch and The Lord Of The Ring
The Elder Scroll: Oblivion
Fable
Waking Life

Those are the ones that come off the top of my head.

The Village is a shit movie but the soundtrack is one of my favourites.

I really like Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Twin Peaks and most of the scores composed by Angelo Badalamenti...Nightmare Before Christmas by Danny Elfman. These ones come immediately to mind.

Also, i have an Ennio Morricone double-cd compilation, it's awesome even though i haven't watched all the movies which the songs were made for.

MASSIVE ATTACK - DANNY THE DOG
ENNIO MORRICONE - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY ve ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST ve CINEMA PARADISO
VANGELIS - BLADE RUNNER
DANNY ELFMAN - BATMAN
ULVER - SVIDD NEGER
ANGELO BADALAMENTI - BLUE VELVET ve LOST HIGHWAY
TINDERSTICKS - TROUBLE EVERYDAY
HENRY MANCINI - THE PINK PANTHER
MATRIX SOUNDTRACK
SPAWN SOUNDTRACK

The Strange Brew soundtrack is only immortal cause of that absolutely hilarious "music" the guy plays on the synth to get the mental patients to play hockey.

Everyone who listed a soundtrack that is actually a collection of songs that weren't featured in the movie (ex The Crow) should be punched.

Ennio Morricone is the snobby prick answer to "who is the best film composer of all time" because John Williams is too poppy or some shit despite his music being much more advanced and less rock-based. He's kind of the pitchfork reviews approved film composer. I think NFU claimed he was the only one worth listening to, for example. Despite this, Ennio Morricone still rules when he's on, "Cinema Paradiso," "The Great Silence," "Once Upon a Time in the West" and the obvious "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" are some of my favorites.

Pat Metheny's soundtrack to "Map of the World" is amazing as a stand-alone album, it was perhaps a bit too invasive to really work well as a backing soundtrack.

I noticed recently that the soundtrack to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is really, really good. It has some odd rock/classical/electronic combinations and the few songs that they used in the movie fit REALLY well. Jon Brion can do no wrong, besides Aimee Mann (she sux).

John Williams has written some absolutely class scores, I think my favorites are Schindler's List, Return of the Jedi, Jaws, and my favorite, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He didn't come up with as many memorable themes in that one as in the Raiders soundtrack, but by then he'd really figured out the best ways to use it and all the new material was stellar. Great soundtrack! :O

Lord of the Rings 1 had a pretty good soundtrack, but the sequels refused to add much of anything new to it and by the end of the second one I was already starting to want to shoot the composer in the face for how he plays that stupid heroic theme every time ANYTHING good happens.

I could go on for pages prolly but I'll just mention another random one I noticed recently, which is that to Blade Runner - the first few times I watched the movie I didn't really notice the soundtrack, but then I randomly decided to pay attention to it. It's incredible. It's all 80s synth sounds, but somehow it has this weird timeless feeling to it instead of sounding dated and the melodies are really simple yet evocative and it's just reallllly great.

EDIT: I forgot to comment on the OP's mention of Edward Scissorhands - I absolutely love that soundtrack. ;_; Donnie Darko's is pretty good too, the weird minimalist piano stuff at least.

ENNIO MORRICONE - THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY ve ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST ve CINEMA PARADISO

Get the soundtrack to The Great Silence/Il Grande Silenzo, it's widely considered his best among Morricone fanboys. It's really weird and creepy, definitely some of his best music. The movie's well worth seeking out too.

favorite soundtracks:

The Shining (more Ligeti than 2001, but in the context of the movie it works perfectly and is fucking haunting)
2001: A Space Odyssey (epic classical tunes really)

all hail kubrick

Anything by John Williams, his music has so much imagination it's utterly ridiculous. I can't wait to buy the Indy 4 soundtrack soon! I also enjoy many works by Jerry Goldsmith, he has done zillions of movies and has created mountains of great music.

I don't own too many soundtracks, but I really like the ones I have.

*My favorite would definately be the Mogwai/Kronos Quartet collaberation on The Fountain. What an amazing album. It moves me every time and I just love the theme and especially the climax. It helps though that I'm a fan of the movie as well.
*Air's soundtrack to The Virgin Suicides is pretty nice - nothing mindblowing, just a nice relaxing listen.
*I really like the ambient sounds of Crash's OST, and Bird York's song In The Deep is really beautiful.
*Requiem For A Dream has probably the best main theme of any movie IMO, really creepy and it fucks with your mind, so I don't listen to it that often, but I love it.
*I also have Mogwai's Zidane Documentary soundtrack, and even though I haven't seen the film it's not bad - really calm, and almost monotone, but in a good way. Completely different from the other things that I've heard from the band.