Favorite war movies?

The recent Eastwood double of Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of Our Fathers was particularly good. Jarhead is another recent one that I really liked.

Throw in classics like Platoon and Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now and The Deer Hunter and you've pretty much been educated in War movies.

Saving Private Ryan is especially powerful

star wars

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut.

I agree with the abovementioned war film references. Another personal favourite is a WW2 flick called 'Too Late The Hero', featuring a youthful Michael Caine. Great, great film.

I like Gladiator, but that's not really a war movie.

Yeah, similarly, I quite like 'Braveheart'. Both are tremendously powerful epics.

Forrest Gump

Heh. True, I suppose...

Apocalypse Now. If you can set aside the time for the extended version (it's like, what, four and a half hours) you will not regret it. Just mind-blowingly good.

I dunno. I have that version, and just wasn't as into it as I'd hoped. It simply felt overlong, too into itself, and, dare I say, a tad pretentious. Perhaps I wasn't really "getting" it completely, I don't know.

i actually wasnt that into apocalypse now.

i thought it was good until he finally reached his destination and then it took a giant exit off the "wtf? ramp" heading for "i have no idea what's going on anymore"ville.

"gentlemen you cant fight in here! this is the war room!"

"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids!"

Mainly because it's not necessarily about the War, rather it's affect on people. I tend to find more identity with that than explosions and mayhem.

It speaks volumes about how people conceive the Theatre of War back home, and how different that can really vary from the brutal and bloody experience of War itself. It explores and unravels the the mindset that creates such a one dimensional understanding of Warfare and how that mechanism removes any true association with the conflict.

It's a pretty stunning movie conceptually and from the point of view of Eastwood's very accomplished direction.

If Flags Of Our Fathers is historically accurate then its pretty fucked up. Things don't change much as far as politics go.

Mel-Gibson---Braveheart--C10102033.jpeg